Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Adios niner bikes

After cracking another NINER frame, I have decided to part ways with NINER Bikes. I have been a NINER Bike owner since 2008. People who ride with me know that I have stood behind the brand and was an extremely loyal supporter as I have been exclusively NINER since that time. I own the SWAG, I have the bikes, I chat on the Forums, I've been drunk on the NINER Kool Aid for quite a while. After cracking two Jet 9 RDO frames inside of 6 weeks, most of that time spent rebuilding the replacement frame, I have decided I am through.

I started on a RIP 9 V1.2 in December, 2008, which I bought as a closeout. I rode this frame until it cracked in 2010 at the rear triangle where it connected the seat stays to the chain stays. I received a 2010 RIP 9 under warranty, and rode that until I sold it early this year to pay for my 2012 Jet 9 RDO. I bought the 2012 Jet 9 RDO, and rode it happily for 6 months, it was the fastest bike I've ever ridden, and I felt like I gave up almost none of the advantages the RIP 9 offered. However I noticed a crack in the lower seat tube in mid June. I received a 2013 Jet 9 RDO from Comp Cyclist, and after three weeks of waiting and about $100 to have the local shop build it back up I was back on a NINER again. However after the second ride, this frame cracked at the lower seat tube area.

I called NINER and explained who I was and how dissappointed I was that they were simply allowing their customers to have this kind of an experience. The customer service agent, * Edited *, gave me the corporate answer of "Well, we have isolated this to a small percentage of frames, and this is a manufacturing issue, we are still gathering information......" I really did not receive any confidence from this conversation that a solution had been reached or changes had been made. Perhaps they feel if they admit something is truly wrong, then they would have to act on it like the previous recall of the J9 aluminum. How can this be a small percentage and yet happen to so many different people on different models of Jet 9 carbon bikes. This is a design flaw or manufacturing defect that should be dealt with better than it is. I, personally do not want to continue to have broken frames and be without a bike and out of pocket every time I have to replace a frame.

I am super dissappointed, this is like breaking up with a girlfriend. I really liked my Jet 9 RDO, but I am not going to continue to allow this to happen. I am going to a PIVOT M429 Carbon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adios niner bikes-img_7004.jpg  

Adios niner bikes-9643.jpg  

Adios niner bikes-img_0755.jpg  

Last edited by Dry Cownty Brewer; 09-03-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Took Personal Names Out of the Picture
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    That stinks but I bet I can smoke you on my RDO once you get that Pivot...lol

Get a Turner Czar!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Hah! I find the 429C vs J9 RDO reviews to be somewhat lacking on MTBR. I'll post up a review once I get some saddle time on the PIVOT. Turner is a great bike also, I have just always heard really good things about PIVOT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    That stinks but I bet I can smoke you on my RDO once you get that Pivot...lol

Get a Turner Czar!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member

Adios niner bikes

Bummer luck, man.. So many have never cracked anything Niner. I've cracked a few bikes, but no Niners (knock on wood).

mtbr member

Re: Adios niner bikes

I cracked a DB frame and it was replaced, including labor, for not a dime out of pocket. Is it typical to have to pay labor?

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    I cracked a DB frame and it was replaced, including labor, for not a dime out of pocket. Is it typical to have to pay labor?
    The warranty states that labor is not included. If you warranty a frame through the shop you bought it from (or otherwise spend lots of money at), there is a chance they will hook you up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    I bought from Comp Cyclist, and they just sent me the warrantied frame. I paid to have the LBS build it up with the full cable housing, new kit, etc. The full build wouldn't have been over $100, but I also had them try to get my X0 brakes back to a tolerable condition (another story - I upgraded to XTR when I bought the PIVOT)

Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post

two wheel whore
    I thought carbon was supposed to be strong as heck. Not the weak, injury-causing trash that it was years ago. It could very well be a bad batch, maybe they'll do a recall.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Gary Fissure experienced this with their 2010 Superfly 100 carbon FS frames. Nearly all of them(97%) were suffering stress cracks, at the pivot/seatstay bridge. But instead of wait and "collect warranty data"....GF engineers immediately enlisted Trek's help, to address failure analysis and resolved the problem by MID-YEAR. An impressive turn-around time...I must admit. By June of 2010 - GF were sending beefed-up, replacement frames to buyers, even going as far as completely transferring all parts over FREE OF CHARGE. Furthermore - parent Trek "Grandfathered" ALL 2010 Superfly 100 carbon frames to Lifetime Warranty too.

I know Niner cannot compare to Trek's resources - but sending replacement frames still having the same problem...is bordering on madness. Trek frames contain TWO serial numbers; one for the front triangle - one for the rear swingarm. They keep close track of everything warranted, with re-coded serial numbers, build date, revisions, color codes, etc.

Mr. McDermott - sorry to see you go....but I feel your pain and frustration. You clearly kept your end of the deal, by being a loyal Niner owner since 2008. The Pivot 429c is a STOMPING BIKE. Good thing you did all your homework!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Nuts
    I kinda nervous I had one ride on my RDO before retiring it for a year due to an injury and I'm afraid the time bomb is ticking. It sucks to let it sit and wait to find out if it will fail next spring!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Rest assured that at least you have a 5 year warranty, if you bought it new. Also, in most cases, like in the case of my second RDO frame incident, it typically occurs shortly after full body weight load or within first few uses. The crack on the 2013 model was much more predominant than the one on my 2012 frame. The 2012 made it through many races, tough rides, a couple of minor spills, and many miles before it developed a crack. Same location, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I kinda nervous I had one ride on my RDO before retiring it for a year due to an injury and I'm afraid the time bomb is ticking. It sucks to let it sit and wait to find out if it will fail next spring!

mtbr member

Back On the RDO

Well, time for an update. After building up and getting a few rides in on the Pivot 429 C, I decided I made a mistake. I am a NINER guy. From the first ride, I just simply felt like something was not right. I was excited to receive the Pivot, but all along was really disappointed to be leaving NINER behind.

I don't want to get into a full review session here, as I plan to post a comparison review in the 29er forum when I get the time. But here are some of the reasons why I did not like the Pivot. First, added weight, the build up came in around 1.25 lbs heavier than my RDO with nearly the same build; only difference was the seatpost size, FD, headset, BB, and Crankset. No matter how I ran the weight reduction numbers, I could not pencil in an easy or economical way to get the weight below 26 lbs. Pedal Strikes, the bottom bracket is noticeably lower on the 429C compared to the J9RDO, and this led to pedal strikes on trails I had never had pedal strikes on before. Cable routing was annoying, the rear brake line and FD cable have to be connected to prevent the cable from flexing out to my calf every time the suspension loads (easy fix, but a little disappointing considering the sticker price). Front end handling was more sluggish to respond and harder to get the front end up over obstacles. The ride was harsher and it felt like you had to battle the bike to get it where you need it to go. Not as versatile, the 429C is a trail bike, and you would have to sacrifice a lot of comfort in terms of component selection when compared to the build of my RDO to get this thing on the podium IMO.

There were some points where I think the 429C was better suited than the RDO. You can tell that the added weight, although one of the downsides IMO, did increase the durability. You can tell this is a tough bike. Going downhill, the added stiffness really allows one to just roll over anything. Anyone looking for a trail bike, or a first carbon bike can't go wrong. But for someone like me, coming off a Jet 9 RDO and used to CVA suspension, I was looking for a better bike and did not find what I was looking for.

So what drove my decision to come back to the RDO. I was initially upset at breaking the two frames. But the more I started thinking about it, I thought that maybe both of my frames came off the same production run and I just got a bad draw because I kept getting what was still in Comp Cyclist's inventory. I decided to contact NINER bikes directly, talk about my situation, and see if they could instill any confidence that the current inventory that NINER had on hand had corrected the situation. The CS rep that I spoke with confirmed what I was thinking, and now I am back on a Green Jet 9 RDO. They also sweetened the deal.

This has been a long summer for me because of this issue. I hope I don't have to endure the headaches associated with warranty claims on another frame for a very long time. I am especially aware that I am taking on a big risk that if this frame goes down on me between now and November, then I will be without a bike for the second half of my 12 race series. I only have one ride in on the new frame, but I feel much better about my decision. The RDO is so easy, fast, and effortless. I experience less fatigue, and total joy riding this bike. And that is what it is all about.

mtbr member
    Good to hear. Thanks for the update!!

mtbr member
    So does that mean you have some Niner gear you want to get rid of? Sorry to hear on the frame. Of course that's a better response than I received from Sidi a couple weeks ago about issue with a pair of their shoes combined with using crank brothers pedals. "Sorry for your troubles and yes we are aware of issue with this model shoe when used with crank brothers pedals" And basically tough luck!!

Nuts
    Boy is that a story and a testimony, thanks for sharing!!
    And I love beer!!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes I sold my 09 Rip9 & 10 Jet9 & brought a Tallboy carbon, I had got rid of it & was back on a Niner in 3 months, I did know I didn't like the Tallboy within the 1st week but I played with the bike for 3 month's because I really wanted it to work because Niner didn't even have a carbon FS bike at that time.

It's not until you ride other bikes that you get to realize just how good the CVA is.

I still take every chance I get to ride other makes just so I can keep in touch with what is out there ( quite easy when you have a blinged out Carbon Niner ) most people want to swap a ride for a trail or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Cownty Brewer View Post
    Well, time for an update. After building up and getting a few rides in on the Pivot 429 C, I decided I made a mistake. I am a NINER guy. From the first ride, I just simply felt like something was not right. I was excited to receive the Pivot, but all along was really disappointed to be leaving NINER behind.

I don't want to get into a full review session here, as I plan to post a comparison review in the 29er forum when I get the time. But here are some of the reasons why I did not like the Pivot. First, added weight, the build up came in around 1.25 lbs heavier than my RDO with nearly the same build; only difference was the seatpost size, FD, headset, BB, and Crankset. No matter how I ran the weight reduction numbers, I could not pencil in an easy or economical way to get the weight below 26 lbs. Pedal Strikes, the bottom bracket is noticeably lower on the 429C compared to the J9RDO, and this led to pedal strikes on trails I had never had pedal strikes on before. Cable routing was annoying, the rear brake line and FD cable have to be connected to prevent the cable from flexing out to my calf every time the suspension loads (easy fix, but a little disappointing considering the sticker price). Front end handling was more sluggish to respond and harder to get the front end up over obstacles. The ride was harsher and it felt like you had to battle the bike to get it where you need it to go. Not as versatile, the 429C is a trail bike, and you would have to sacrifice a lot of comfort in terms of component selection when compared to the build of my RDO to get this thing on the podium IMO.

There were some points where I think the 429C was better suited than the RDO. You can tell that the added weight, although one of the downsides IMO, did increase the durability. You can tell this is a tough bike. Going downhill, the added stiffness really allows one to just roll over anything. Anyone looking for a trail bike, or a first carbon bike can't go wrong. But for someone like me, coming off a Jet 9 RDO and used to CVA suspension, I was looking for a better bike and did not find what I was looking for.

So what drove my decision to come back to the RDO. I was initially upset at breaking the two frames. But the more I started thinking about it, I thought that maybe both of my frames came off the same production run and I just got a bad draw because I kept getting what was still in Comp Cyclist's inventory. I decided to contact NINER bikes directly, talk about my situation, and see if they could instill any confidence that the current inventory that NINER had on hand had corrected the situation. The CS rep that I spoke with confirmed what I was thinking, and now I am back on a Green Jet 9 RDO. They also sweetened the deal.

This has been a long summer for me because of this issue. I hope I don't have to endure the headaches associated with warranty claims on another frame for a very long time. I am especially aware that I am taking on a big risk that if this frame goes down on me between now and November, then I will be without a bike for the second half of my 12 race series. I only have one ride in on the new frame, but I feel much better about my decision. The RDO is so easy, fast, and effortless. I experience less fatigue, and total joy riding this bike. And that is what it is all about.

trail "cleaner"
    Yep, One of my riding buddies used to have a Pivot 429 and I spent some time in the saddle and was totally unimpressed. While it has as much suspension as the RDO... It felt like 1/2 the amount. It literally shook my eye sockets. I think Pivot missed the boat entirely with their tuning selection on the Fox Shock/Fork products. I also agree the BB height is too low (especially for our AZ chunk). The only positive I found is that it did hold lines well due to the stiffness. BUT, I didn't think it was any stiffer than my RDO. My conclusion was that I made the right choice with my JET's... BTW, he never felt comfortable on it either and ended up selling it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Cownty Brewer View Post

No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Exactly, holding lines is an easy feat on the 429 C, and it rolls anything technical very well. No doubt about that. I am from AZ originally, and get back and ride at least once a year. I remember having issues with my V1 RIP 9 with pedal strikes on very technical sections, but the 429 BB seemed even lower than that was. Never an issue on the J9RDO.

Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler View Post
    Yep, One of my riding buddies used to have a Pivot 429 and I spent some time in the saddle and was totally unimpressed. While it has as much suspension as the RDO... It felt like 1/2 the amount. It literally shook my eye sockets. I think Pivot missed the boat entirely with their tuning selection on the Fox Shock/Fork products. I also agree the BB height is too low (especially for our AZ chunk). The only positive I found is that it did hold lines well due to the stiffness. BUT, I didn't think it was any stiffer than my RDO. My conclusion was that I made the right choice with my JET's... BTW, he never felt comfortable on it either and ended up selling it.

mtbr member

Adios niner bikes

Demoed a 429c this last Sunday and was pedal striking on areas I never had a issue with on my J9 RDO. I was impressed on how stiff the frame was though. It was hard to compare it with my RDO since it was spec'd out about 5 lb.
    Heavier, and 2.5 lb of it was in the wheelset and tires. Ouch

evilbanks
    Been riding the hell outta my Scandium Air 9 since 2009 and no cracks.............
    twitter.com/evilbanks

mtbr member

Adios niner bikes

I demoed a 429c last sunday and I was impressed with the super stiff frame but it was pedal striking everywhere. Hard to compare it with my j9rdo since the pivot was spec'd around 28 lbs.
    Also though I'd share what happen to my buddies 2013 Trance today. Goes to show they all have issues

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    That's why I was glad top see Niner has made that bottom link into a one piece on their newest designs. Has to be stronger than two separate pieces.

mtbr member

Adios niner bikes

Actually it's a one piece design. Of course it's a two piece design now. Lol

Loser
    If you look in the Giant forum (my wife has an Anthem so I was over there for a bit), you'll see that breakage often - Last time I was over there, there was a mega-thread about people who had broken that linkage. People were ordering spares just so they didn't get stranded.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    If you look in the Giant forum (my wife has an Anthem so I was over there for a bit), you'll see that breakage often - Last time I was over there, there was a mega-thread about people who had broken that linkage. People were ordering spares just so they didn't get stranded.
    Yeah no kidding. I guess nobody has ever owned a Gary Fisher Superfly or Superfly 100 here as well!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast