more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

A9CC (Air 9 Carbon Cross) or A9CX

Here is another way to set up an Air Nine Carbon that you may not have seen before.

I signed up for Cyclocross Nationals in Bend, OR in early December (the single speed race). And then realized that because it's a National Championship, this race will be held under UCI regulations and flat bars are not allowed. But thankfully, with the allowance of disc brakes this year, the conversion is quite simple.

Avid BB7 mechanical disks (get the road version...can also use BB5), mated up to your favorite drop bar and voila! A9CC (Air Nine Carbon Cross) or A9CX?

If you do this you may want to put a shorter stem on that what you'd normally run for MTB as your reach to the top of the brakes hoods will stretch you farther out. Also, you'll want to make sure that if the bars were to spin fully around in a crash, that the lowest part of the drop bar will "cradle" the top tube of the frame rather than smash into it. So, it's not ideal, but it can be done and it looks pretty sweet.

For tires, I just used my standard MTB rims (Stan's Crest laced to I9's) and threw on on 700x35c Stan's Raven's and mounted them up tubeless. For the Nationals race, I'll have to find something narrower that stretches out to a 33C max on the Crests as that is what the UCI limits CX tire width too.

mtbr member
    Looking likely, what gearing are you planning on running? You gonna keep the drink bottle holder in there?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon
    Looking likely, what gearing are you planning on running? You gonna keep the drink bottle holder in there?
    gearing -- well, that completely depends upon the course. But that's a 36x15 on there now (got a 2nd place on an extremely muddy course in Open Singlespeed in my last local race with this gear).

bottle holder - haven't even thought about it. probably keep it on. maybe take it off for races.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    nice ride!!

what is the difference between the bb7 road and the mountain versions?

mtbr member
    love it man more pics
    biking makes it better

mtbr member
    That's badass. I want to hate it but it's strangely alluring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    16 lbs?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K
    16 lbs?
    It was, but I think it's slightly more now. It was 16 before I switched to the drop bars and mechanical disks. Prior to the drop bar (an FSA), I had a Salso Pro Moto carbon flat bar with ESI grips...so the drop bar added some weight. And the BB7's are certainly heavier than the Formula R1's that I use for mtn.

I'll try to post a few more pics later today.

Again -- This set-up serves a purpose, but it would ride better with a shorter stem. Unfortunately, you can only go so short before you run into the issue of the potential for the drops to smash into the frame (kind of where the top tube down tube meet) if the bars spin around in a crash. Of course, someone might be willing to risk that, but I don't think I do.

I'll have this set up like this for a little over a month, then after CX Nationals are over....I'm going right back to my flat bar mountain configuration. Fun little project though.

I'll get a few more pics up laters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    For tires check out the Challenge Grifo 32mm tires, open tubulars, roll silky smooth and under 33mm on an arch rim (I believe it will be sub 33 on a crest as well).

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pieterp
    For tires check out the Challenge Grifo 32mm tires, open tubulars, roll silky smooth and under 33mm on an arch rim (I believe it will be sub 33 on a crest as well).
    Cool thanks for the info! Someone else mentioned this to me as well.....hopefully, it will be 33mm max on a Crest as well, but I believe the Crest has a wider rim cavity as compared to the Arch so I hope it works.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the geometry is still going to be off but it'll be a conversation starter for sure. Good luck and tell us how you do.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by limba
    Yeah, the geometry is still going to be off but it'll be a conversation starter for sure. Good luck and tell us how you do.
    Thanks....first few rides on it were a bit..strange. But then I put on a shorter stem (90mm), and rotated the bars up a bit higher and now it feels great.

First two CX races on the setup have gone well. Got a 1st Place out of 12 in Open Singlespeed at the Folsom Rodeo Cross night race this past Wednesday, and then today got a 2nd Place out of 22 in Open Singlespeed at Sacramento CX Race #3. I'm stoked, but I do miss my old MTB setup...just one more month and it's back to normalcy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    More pics on the final build please!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by af73
    More pics on the final build please!
    crap, will do sorry...I forgot. Been too busy riding and racing it

Think I solved my tire dilemma with comlying with UCI regs for Nationals in Bend. Mounted up some 30c Michelin Mud 2's to my Crests and they seem to stretch out on the rims to juuuuust about 33mm (the UCI legal limit). Need to get my buddy's calipers over here for an official measurement.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Long overdue more promised pics to the folks who asked for them. Although I still haven't had time to take actual stationary pics of this bike in my garage...too busy riding and racing! So here are some race pics where you can see some of the build I guess.

this bike actually morphs into a fairly decent CX rig. I'm super happy with it...and since I put the drop bars on, I've had two 1st places and two 2nd places out of 4 total open singlespeed classes races I've entered. It works.

mtbr member
    Congrats on your success. That thing has a massive downtube. It looks so odd for a "cross" bike.