mtbr member
    Oct 2006

A9C XX owners help with shifting

So, I have a Niner with full XX and I9 Ultralight wheels. My LBS can't seem to get the shifting in the rear to work well. They have tried a different chain which helped a little but not much. It works with an XT cassette which made us think the XX was defective but when they tried the warrantied XX one, it still didn't work. Could the wheels be an issue? Help, I'm about to rip everything off and go back to SS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's most likely the cable routing. Try and run a full length housing externally, just to see if it fixes the shifting. I bet you find that it does.

mtbr member
    On the A9C it is best to use the Gore sealed cable and housing. I never had a shifting problem with XX and my A9C when using Gore, shifted like butter. It is a bit of a pain to install, but 9er has some good video tips on their web page.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It has Gore cables. I will try the external routing.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've got XX on my A9C and it shifts great. I'd be tempted to replace it with the A9RDO but I'm happy with what I have. Using some Gore Pro liners with a piece of fully sealed housing between the bottom bracket and the derailleur so the liner fits into it.

Have you checked
    - your derailleur? is it bent?
    - is the hangar bent?
    - the housing between the shifter and the headtube? Are the little wires coming out of the end of the housing?

mtbr member
    Seems counter intuitive but you could try a small washer behind the derailleur, where it mounts into the hanger. SRAM derailleurs seem to be finicky regarding derailleur hanger/dropout thickness. Particularly noticeable and well documented on steel frames but possible on the carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I know you can run full housings on the RDO. If I was to convert to a 1x, would that give me more room in the BB area to run a full housing for the rear?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    I know you can run full housings on the RDO. If I was to convert to a 1x, would that give me more room in the BB area to run a full housing for the rear?
    If you are talking about full housing for the rear shifting on the A9C the reason not to do it is because Niner does not recommend drilling out the head badge. Don't recall the exact reason why but it is in some thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by riding29 View Post
    If you are talking about full housing for the rear shifting on the A9C the reason not to do it is because Niner does not recommend drilling out the head badge. Don't recall the exact reason why but it is in some thread.
    Niner don't like it because it makes them look stupid for not considering it before they moved to production

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    niner says don't drill out the head badge due to electrolysis or something like that.

they also state they have a revised version of the cable guide piece that mounts near the BB in testing and due out soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    niner says don't drill out the head badge due to electrolysis or something like that.

they also state they have a revised version of the cable guide piece that mounts near the BB in testing and due out soon.
    The head badge is magnesium which has to be electroplated or it corrodes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I wish they'd hurry up with this new cable guide. I'm sick of shifting issues in the mud supposedly this is their remedy for muddy condition riders.

Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    In our experience we haven't had any issues to speak of with the A9C's shifting. You do however need to take a little extra care when setting everything up.
    1. Make sure the front and rear cables don't wrap around each other in the down tube. Run your cables and then independently pull on the front and rear cables while keeping your other hand on the opposite shift cable to make sure there is no interference.
    2. The derailleur hanger should be well greased with a thicker viscosity grease.
    3. Make sure the inner ferrule for the rear cable housing is completely seated in the cable guide.

Obviously none of these factors should affect the rear cassette but I can't think of any reason why you should be having issues with the XX and not the XT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I got an email blast from Niner today that says this cable guide and and in addition some custom Gore cables are available now. BT you must be in the know somehow. Like I said before I tried Gore Pro cables with some good success but weren't really made to fit the A9C. This sounds very very promising. Anxious to get this kit into my bike soon.