mtbr member
    Nov 2005

5'11" Tall - Will a large Air 9 Carbon be OK??

I have the chance to buy a used large Air 9 Carbon - I'm 5'11" do you think it will be OK?

I ride a 26" wheeler with a BB centre to saddle top height of 775mm so think a medium will have far to much seatpost out the frame.

Recently road a Scott Spark 930 29er in large & it felt fine.

Opinions please.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm 5'10" and run my seat at the same height. I had a large Sir9 because when I test rode the medium I had a mile of seat post sticking out. The large will work fine for you. I was happy to see that the seat tube on the Jet9 RDO was 18" for a medium when I wanted to get some suspension.

COTA member
    I am 5'11" and ride a large A9C.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm 5' 10" and have a 32.5" inseam. I do have a good amount of seat post showing on my med. One 9, but TT fit is perfect for me. I think you should focus more on TT fit than seat post. Just for kicks:

Last edited by phsycle; 11-17-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm 6 ft & my Air9 alloy was Lge I run my seat at 800mm & med is to small for me & there is much to much post showing on med.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11 and I bought a medium. I am running a 90mm stem but I am also running a Shimano Pro setback seatpost. I could ride a large too but this setup fits me great and is a few grams lighter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Large should be fine

I am 6.2" and I ride a Large with a lot of seatpost showing and setback seatpost.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I am 5' 11" also and I have a large MCR and it is pretty good on me. I also recently rented a Rip 9 in the medium variety and it was pretty sweet. I have a medium Jet 9 RDO on order. I think it should be awesome.

Either way you won't be sorry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack View Post
    I am 5' 11" also and I have a large MCR and it is pretty good on me. I also recently rented a Rip 9 in the medium variety and it was pretty sweet. I have a medium Jet 9 RDO on order. I think it should be awesome.

Either way you won't be sorry.
    I'm 5'10" with long legs and love my medium Jet9 RDO. I run mine with a 100mm stem set at -7* and a 20mm set back seat post.

I had a large Sir9 with a 90mm stem and never liked the handling of the large frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm 5'11". I currently ride a lrg Jet 9 RDO and used to have a lrg A9C and lrg Air 9. I was confused about what size to get as well. At that time I figured out the numbers and found that med would be to small as even a 400mm post would not give enough room for proper seat height. Since then I have significantly changed my seat height to a lower position. I borrowed a friends med A9C recently and just loved it! So playful, so easy to throw around, probably not faster then my Jet 9 RDO but more fun! The Jet 9 RDO lrg is now for sale, to get a med frame.

Point being, Niners website if very accurate on fit and feel. If your between go smaller for more playful/faster ride and larger for stability. Just check your seat height to make sure a 400mm post will do the job!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dickie View Post
    I have the chance to buy a used large Air 9 Carbon - I'm 5'11" do you think it will be OK?

I ride a 26" wheeler with a BB centre to saddle top height of 775mm so think a medium will have far to much seatpost out the frame.

Recently road a Scott Spark 930 29er in large & it felt fine.

Opinions please.
    If you are of normal proportions then pretty sure the medium is for you.

I am about the same height but with shortish legs and longish trunk so I ride the large.

I have a mate with the opposite build and he rides a medium Air 9 with a very long seatpost. But the large would be too long in the top tube for him.

As others have said, compare what you are currently riding with the ETT dimension of the Niners and base your decision on that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the replies every one.
    I went for the large, I bought used with a headset, RDO carbon seatpost, & RS SID XX QR15 tapered forks for a great price.
    I had a little car park ride on my mates Lynsky 29er with a similar TT length & it felt fine so fingers crossed that this will be fine when I build it up in the spring.