mtbr member
    Mar 2007

2x10 for Colorado RIP 9?

Hey All:

I am close to pulling the trigger on the RIP 9 and am considering building it up with the XX.

It is my first 29er so I am not sure if this would be advised for the really steep and longer climbs we have here in Colorado. I have heard two different opinions from two different shops. Unfortunately, I cannot demo a bike with XX.

I am a fairly strong climber with my old 22-32 granny gear on the 26" Stumpjumper.

Thanks Everyone.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you go with the 26/39 crankset and 11-36 cassette, you'll be really close in ratios, it's only about 5% harder:

26/36 = 0.722
    22/32 = 0.688

However, a 29er wheel is about 11% bigger in diameter so it will feel more like a 0.80 ratio (.722 x 1.11), which would be like riding your Stumpjumer in the 22/28 gear ratio. So if you can handle riding your Stumpjumper one gear harder, you are good to go. If you can't, then you might consider getting a 12-36 9 speed cassette instead so that the effective gear ratio is the same.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Exactly what I needed to know

Thanks for the response. It was exactly what I needed to know.

Flaccid Member
    Thor forgot to mention that you have an 11 x 34 option for rear cassette on a 29'er. Better be damn strong to pull a 26 tooth ring gear at 12,200 feet on the Colorado Trail. More power to ya if you can do it, it took all I had to run a 22, 32, 44 with 11 -34 up Molas Pass to Engineer mountain last October.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, that's a climb. I lived down in Durango for about ten years and only did that one a couple of times. There are some grinders here on the front range that I defintely use my 22 x 34 on the 26" bike.

I am looking at a Stumpjumper which will coming with a 22/33 chainring combo which should be good with the 11-36. Unfortunately the XO 2x10 will only have a 24/36 option,

At this point I am leaning towards the stumpjumper but will be demoing the RIP 9 this weekend and can deal with a 3x10 if I fall in love with the RIP.

code: mtbr2011
    i''m riding a rip with 2x10 xx, and i live in colorado. i usually rode my 22/30 as my lowest of low gears...i found the 22x34 to be too low.
    i haven't found the 26/36 to be much more perceived effort.

check out the www.sheldonbrown.com and plug in your gear inches for the bikes and you'll see you're not losing much between the 22/34 and 22/30 on a 29" wheel when you demo the rip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Cracks and Racks.

Aren't you in the Aspen area??

I recall seeing some great photos from your other posts.

I demoed a Pivot 429 with the triple setup and was surprised how differently the 29er climbs from my 26 SJ. I am used to finessing my climbs on the 26er - slowing down, balancing, changing direction quickly and then powering up over obstacles and steeps. When I did this on the 29er, I found it impossible to get my momentum up again in time to keep speed over the ledges and roots. Actually it was a very frustrating ride.

It seemed to me that the name of the game for climbing on a 29er is just keep the power going and hammer over everything. This will definitely require a change of riding style. I see why so many 29er fans are going with SS or 1x9.

we are in the aspen area...our shop is at the abc (airport business center) and i live in snowmass village.

my impression of the 29er is different than yours. on the steep technical climbs, i find that i can finesse the bike just as well as my old superlight.
    being in the 2x10 is a slightly larger gear, but i find that riding that larger gear is better for technical rocks and roots than trying to finesse everything. at some point, i have always felt, that too low of a gear makes it harder to clean the bigger stuff, and that the bigger gear just helps with momentum.

your frustration could be from a few things...1 being on a diff't bike than you're used to, and 2 being on the 29" wheel. it's different, that's for sure.
    i feel the 29er has a tremendous advantage on the steep technical terrain with its ability to roll over roots/rocks, that might otherwise stop the 26" wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just saw on the SRAM homepage that they are doing a 2x10 Experience tour. Does anyone have dates on when that would be somewhere in the Colorado Front Range, Fort Collins or Boulder in particular?

MTB B'dos
    I don't know how fit you are, but I would not consider anything over a 24t as a granny gear in CO. I've visited their twice, once quite fit ready to tackle some endurance races and I did cruise about a lot on the Front Range in my 32 middle ring, but then I visited the following year not as fit with my improved 24/34/46 29er gearing (found I could push bigger gears on a 29er) and def found the 24 to be my limit. I would say a nice 22/36 double would work good and give you everything you need.

Oh and just so you can compare 24/34 is .4 gear inches easier than 26/36 so basically the same.
    Last edited by LyNx; 08-21-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I visited a Trek/Niner dealer this afternoon. The tech I talked to said they had submitted an application for the 2x10 Experience tour. He didn't know when they would know when they would have a response, but he seemed to think there would be at least one tour stop in my area. I think that the tour would be a good bet for anyone think about going with the 2x10 setup.
    Fixing bikes for a living in Montana

i rode big today...about 20 miles with 6000 feet of climbing...some of it really steep. was definitely at my limit for the 26/36 gear.
    i was in that gear alot, but expected to be when climbing for 45 minutes at a time on rocky technical singletrack.

i would descibe myself as fit with good stamina, but not extraordinarily fast...i'll take the rest on short flat or downhill sections instead of shifting to a bigger gear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Decided to go with a 3x9 XO system for now. I may convert later.

I demoed the RIP 9 at Winter Park all weekend and definitely want a 24 or 22 as my small chainring. When XO comes out with the 2x10 and a 24 chainring - I may switch over.

Thanks everyone.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc456
    Decided to go with a 3x9 XO system for now. I may convert later.

I demoed the RIP 9 at Winter Park all weekend and definitely want a 24 or 22 as my small chainring. When XO comes out with the 2x10 and a 24 chainring - I may switch over.

Thanks everyone.
    I'm sure they won't do a 24 tooth 2 x 10 why not go 3 X 10 with the new XT cranks they are great for a Rip9 24/32/42 & with a 11-36 cassette

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That is exactly the combo I am going for. Ordered everything this morning and should be riding this weekend.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc456
    That is exactly the combo I am going for. Ordered everything this morning and should be riding this weekend.
    The 10 speed XT is very nice.