mtbr member
    Mar 2007

2x10 for Colorado RIP 9?

Hey All:

I am close to pulling the trigger on the RIP 9 and am considering building it up with the XX.

It is my first 29er so I am not sure if this would be advised for the really steep and longer climbs we have here in Colorado. I have heard two different opinions from two different shops. Unfortunately, I cannot demo a bike with XX.

I am a fairly strong climber with my old 22-32 granny gear on the 26" Stumpjumper.

Thanks Everyone.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you go with the 26/39 crankset and 11-36 cassette, you'll be really close in ratios, it's only about 5% harder:

26/36 = 0.722
    22/32 = 0.688

However, a 29er wheel is about 11% bigger in diameter so it will feel more like a 0.80 ratio (.722 x 1.11), which would be like riding your Stumpjumer in the 22/28 gear ratio. So if you can handle riding your Stumpjumper one gear harder, you are good to go. If you can't, then you might consider getting a 12-36 9 speed cassette instead so that the effective gear ratio is the same.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Exactly what I needed to know

Thanks for the response. It was exactly what I needed to know.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Thor forgot to mention that you have an 11 x 34 option for rear cassette on a 29'er. Better be damn strong to pull a 26 tooth ring gear at 12,200 feet on the Colorado Trail. More power to ya if you can do it, it took all I had to run a 22, 32, 44 with 11 -34 up Molas Pass to Engineer mountain last October.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, that's a climb. I lived down in Durango for about ten years and only did that one a couple of times. There are some grinders here on the front range that I defintely use my 22 x 34 on the 26" bike.

I am looking at a Stumpjumper which will coming with a 22/33 chainring combo which should be good with the 11-36. Unfortunately the XO 2x10 will only have a 24/36 option,

At this point I am leaning towards the stumpjumper but will be demoing the RIP 9 this weekend and can deal with a 3x10 if I fall in love with the RIP.

code: mtbr2011
    i''m riding a rip with 2x10 xx, and i live in colorado. i usually rode my 22/30 as my lowest of low gears...i found the 22x34 to be too low.
    i haven't found the 26/36 to be much more perceived effort.

check out the www.sheldonbrown.com and plug in your gear inches for the bikes and you'll see you're not losing much between the 22/34 and 22/30 on a 29" wheel when you demo the rip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Cracks and Racks.

Aren't you in the Aspen area??

I recall seeing some great photos from your other posts.

I demoed a Pivot 429 with the triple setup and was surprised how differently the 29er climbs from my 26 SJ. I am used to finessing my climbs on the 26er - slowing down, balancing, changing direction quickly and then powering up over obstacles and steeps. When I did this on the 29er, I found it impossible to get my momentum up again in time to keep speed over the ledges and roots. Actually it was a very frustrating ride.

It seemed to me that the name of the game for climbing on a 29er is just keep the power going and hammer over everything. This will definitely require a change of riding style. I see why so many 29er fans are going with SS or 1x9.

we are in the aspen area...our shop is at the abc (airport business center) and i live in snowmass village.

my impression of the 29er is different than yours. on the steep technical climbs, i find that i can finesse the bike just as well as my old superlight.
    being in the 2x10 is a slightly larger gear, but i find that riding that larger gear is better for technical rocks and roots than trying to finesse everything. at some point, i have always felt, that too low of a gear makes it harder to clean the bigger stuff, and that the bigger gear just helps with momentum.

your frustration could be from a few things...1 being on a diff't bike than you're used to, and 2 being on the 29" wheel. it's different, that's for sure.
    i feel the 29er has a tremendous advantage on the steep technical terrain with its ability to roll over roots/rocks, that might otherwise stop the 26" wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just saw on the SRAM homepage that they are doing a 2x10 Experience tour. Does anyone have dates on when that would be somewhere in the Colorado Front Range, Fort Collins or Boulder in particular?

MTB B'dos
    I don't know how fit you are, but I would not consider anything over a 24t as a granny gear in CO. I've visited their twice, once quite fit ready to tackle some endurance races and I did cruise about a lot on the Front Range in my 32 middle ring, but then I visited the following year not as fit with my improved 24/34/46 29er gearing (found I could push bigger gears on a 29er) and def found the 24 to be my limit. I would say a nice 22/36 double would work good and give you everything you need.

Oh and just so you can compare 24/34 is .4 gear inches easier than 26/36 so basically the same.
    Last edited by LyNx; 08-21-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I visited a Trek/Niner dealer this afternoon. The tech I talked to said they had submitted an application for the 2x10 Experience tour. He didn't know when they would know when they would have a response, but he seemed to think there would be at least one tour stop in my area. I think that the tour would be a good bet for anyone think about going with the 2x10 setup.
    Fixing bikes for a living in Montana

i rode big today...about 20 miles with 6000 feet of climbing...some of it really steep. was definitely at my limit for the 26/36 gear.
    i was in that gear alot, but expected to be when climbing for 45 minutes at a time on rocky technical singletrack.

i would descibe myself as fit with good stamina, but not extraordinarily fast...i'll take the rest on short flat or downhill sections instead of shifting to a bigger gear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Decided to go with a 3x9 XO system for now. I may convert later.

I demoed the RIP 9 at Winter Park all weekend and definitely want a 24 or 22 as my small chainring. When XO comes out with the 2x10 and a 24 chainring - I may switch over.

Thanks everyone.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc456
    Decided to go with a 3x9 XO system for now. I may convert later.

I demoed the RIP 9 at Winter Park all weekend and definitely want a 24 or 22 as my small chainring. When XO comes out with the 2x10 and a 24 chainring - I may switch over.

Thanks everyone.
    I'm sure they won't do a 24 tooth 2 x 10 why not go 3 X 10 with the new XT cranks they are great for a Rip9 24/32/42 & with a 11-36 cassette
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That is exactly the combo I am going for. Ordered everything this morning and should be riding this weekend.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc456
    That is exactly the combo I am going for. Ordered everything this morning and should be riding this weekend.
    The 10 speed XT is very nice.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations