Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    29er zealot

2017 Jet9 RDO build

I picked up a Jet 2 star build from Jenson from their winter blowout. Pretty good deal when adding in the activejunky refund. The only stuff I've changed is the bar/stem to Easton Haven and set the wheels up tubeless. It was 29.8 lbs stock, but down to 28.2 after the few improvements. Should be loads of fun in Pisgah without being a lumbering oaf up the gravel road climbs. I'd eventually like to put on a set of Industry Nine Enduro 305's, but the bike alone was a painful stretch on a NC teacher's salary. Someday...

mtbr member
    Nice bike Froth! Let us all know how she rides after you get some miles on her.

I just pulled the trigger on the 4 Star Xt build w/ Enve wheels, I should have it in two weeks. I'm coming off a 2012 Pivot 429 which was a FANTASTIC bike, and would have stayed Pivot but they shortened the top tube on the new 429 Trail and kind was getting the itch to try something else. Also I like that little bit extra travel in the rear as well as the color option. Hope it rides as well as all those who have reviewed them say!

Question for the group: Bike comes spec'd with a Fox 130mm fork. Thoughts about running the 140 Pike upfront on the Jet?

Not trying to hiJack your thread.... With your title, might be a good start for all of us who have 2017 Jet 9 RDO's... I'll post mine in here when I get it...

29er zealot
    I'd like some more insight on the Pike at 140 as well. If you decide to go that route, make sure to post up a report. I'm going to get it out for a short shakedown ride this evening to tool around with suspension and cockpit settings.

Chilling out
    OP love that color. I really am enjoying my RIP9 that I picked up last august, am sure you will enjoy the JET down there in WNC. I hope to visit your area this year sometime too.

Joey/et all my previous fs (yeti sb95) came with 120mm Fox, changed spacer soon after I got it and ran it at 140 and it was great. Ended up with a Pike 150 for most of the bikes life tough, if you have the itch to go up some travel I would not worry about the options you are discussing, probably solid stuff.

Personally I fimnd then rockshox a bit less fiddly and lower maintenance than the fox, but that surely could have changed since 2012.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Your Best Friend
    I just picked up a Jet 4 star build for my son's senior year on the high school cycling team. I got it with the 27.5+ wheelset for trail riding and we'll throw our set of Enve 50/50 on it for training and racing. I already put a Race Face Next SL crank set on it. With that upgrade and the 27.5 wheels, it's 27.6lbs (medium). When I get the extra parts for the Enve's, I'll weigh it that way as well.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by froth14 View Post
    I'd like some more insight on the Pike at 140 as well. If you decide to go that route, make sure to post up a report. I'm going to get it out for a short shakedown ride this evening to tool around with suspension and cockpit settings.
    The Current JET 27.5+ come with 140mm travel.
    Rode one around the parking lot, Felt better than the RIP 9.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jory View Post
    Question for the group: Bike comes spec'd with a Fox 130mm fork. Thoughts about running the 140 Pike upfront on the Jet?
    I bought my jet in the 27.5+ configuration, so it came with the 140mm Pike. Within a few weeks of receiving the bike I switched to 29er wheels, and have ridden it with the 140 air spring until last week when I installed the 130 airspring. Overall, I feel like the bike has benefited from the swap to a 130 airspring. Of course, the bb has dropped accordingly but that is something I had to get used to when I initially started riding the bike anyways, so it hasn't been an issue for me thus far.

Side note: Since receiving the bike in August, I have steadily increased the amount of sag I am running. Initially, I set it up relatively stiff(~20% sag), but recently increased the sag to 30%. Aside from the low bb, the bike feels the best it ever has for me. In a word, it's dialed.

Summary: If you are riding with 29er wheels, I think the 130mm airspring is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenjack View Post
    I bought my jet in the 27.5+ configuration, so it came with the 140mm Pike. Within a few weeks of receiving the bike I switched to 29er wheels, and have ridden it with the 140 air spring until last week when I installed the 130 airspring. Overall, I feel like the bike has benefited from the swap to a 130 airspring. Of course, the bb has dropped accordingly but that is something I had to get used to when I initially started riding the bike anyways, so it hasn't been an issue for me thus far.

Side note: Since receiving the bike in August, I have steadily increased the amount of sag I am running. Initially, I set it up relatively stiff(~20% sag), but recently increased the sag to 30%. Aside from the low bb, the bike feels the best it ever has for me. In a word, it's dialed.

Summary: If you are riding with 29er wheels, I think the 130mm airspring is the way to go.
    Thanks - just the sort of real world response I was looking for!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm also near WNC in Greenville and am just finishing a Jet9 build. I'll weigh it when done, size large, di2, Carbon cockpit and wheels. Also upgraded to the Next SL crank, 140mm Fox fork 27.5. I owned the new Rip and it was an awesome bike but feel this Jet will climb a little better and easily handle the local trails here. I'm confident it should weigh in around 27#. The Maxxis Recon / Icon combo is awesome!
    I only drank one in dog years...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    I'm also near WNC in Greenville and am just finishing a Jet9 build. I'll weigh it when done, size large, di2, Carbon cockpit and wheels. Also upgraded to the Next SL crank, 140mm Fox fork 27.5. I owned the new Rip and it was an awesome bike but feel this Jet will climb a little better and easily handle the local trails here. I'm confident it should weigh in around 27#. The Maxxis Recon / Icon combo is awesome!
    That's the ideal bike for these parts, IMHO, hope to see you out there.
    Niner Jet 9, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm sure you will! I'm the old guy gagging for air!

mtbr member
    Nice bike! Just for sizing reference what you go with and how tall are you? These bikes seem to really run large, I own a Hightower now and when comparing frame vs frame geometry, I should be on a Medium on a Jet. its crazy how close the numbers are compared to a Hightower, I would call it a Hightower light, 120 travel vs 135.

Niner Jet 9 RDO Mountain Bike Frame - 2017 | Competitive Cyclist

Santa Cruz Bicycles Hightower Carbon CC Mountain Bike Frame - 2017 | Competitive Cyclist
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

29er zealot
    I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I'm riding a large, so far it seems to fit me very well. I did swap out the stem to a 60mm instead of the 70mm to give me just a bit less reach. I also ride a large one9. My brother, who is 6'4" rides an XL Air9 that is enormous. I rode a RIP9 in an XL and it didn't feel nearly as big as my brother's frame.

I, too, considered the Hightower, but ended up on the Jet. I never got a chance to ride the Hightower, though I, admittedly had my heart set on getting another Niner.

mtbr member
    I've been eyeing this bike for awhile now, but waiting till I can demo it in March. I'm 6'3" with a 37" inseam (so all legs) on paper the large seems to be perfect with the higher stack and steep SA. I've been riding a hardtail fat bike for the last two years and just moved out west so looking for something a little more capable. For those of you who built your Jet or bought complete, did you happen to demo others before pulling the trigger? I've never owned Niner so I have no loyalty to them. I plan on riding the new Yeti SB5+, Pony Rustler, Trek EX, and other plus offerings available. Main things I'm looking for is high BB, steep seat angle, and climbs well!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Nice bike! Just for sizing reference what you go with and how tall are you? These bikes seem to really run large, I own a Hightower now and when comparing frame vs frame geometry, I should be on a Medium on a Jet. its crazy how close the numbers are compared to a Hightower, I would call it a Hightower light, 120 travel vs 135.

Niner Jet 9 RDO Mountain Bike Frame - 2017 | Competitive Cyclist

Santa Cruz Bicycles Hightower Carbon CC Mountain Bike Frame - 2017 | Competitive Cyclist
    I'm also 6'2" and ride a large. I'm right on the bubble of an XL so naturally want to run the smaller frame. I wish it was a hair larger, but it works. I also put a 60mm Renthal Stem on. I also went with some wider Renthal bars, fit is perfect now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    I've been eyeing this bike for awhile now, but waiting till I can demo it in March. I'm 6'3" with a 37" inseam (so all legs) on paper the large seems to be perfect with the higher stack and steep SA. I've been riding a hardtail fat bike for the last two years and just moved out west so looking for something a little more capable. For those of you who built your Jet or bought complete, did you happen to demo others before pulling the trigger? I've never owned Niner so I have no loyalty to them. I plan on riding the new Yeti SB5+, Pony Rustler, Trek EX, and other plus offerings available. Main things I'm looking for is high BB, steep seat angle, and climbs well!
    Dude, you definitely want to go XL. A large will be too small for you. I've owned 5-6 Niners and they are great bikes. The new Rip and Jet are really nice. It was either another Niner with new geometry or a Pivot. I'm pleased.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hey guys,

I haven't test ridden a Niner since the fall of '15..How does this new '17 model compare the '15 or so Jet9 when it comes to building one up for XC racing (short & long distance)?

I'm eyeing the 2015 CC/BC has on closeout to build up as a race bike for this year but I'm not certain if the newer models come with a slight advantage over the older ones.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The new Jets are more Trail ride geometry. If I was going to race xc, I'd either look at the rkt or the older Jet like you're checking out. Although for marathons the extra squish might come in comfy!

29er zealot

I had the chance to get a little shakedown ride the other night,but will get a legit big mountain ride in Pisgah tomorrow and Saturday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Nice! Are you running 29's? Where's the photo? DuPont?

29er zealot
    I've got a 2.4 ardent front and 2.35 ikon rear. I hope to eventually swap to I9's with some more width and put on some meatier tires eventually. The photo is from Moore's Springs Trails, now a part of Hanging Rock State Park.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Looks like some fun singletrack. My build is the 27.5+. Yes, I9 hubs are definitely nice. I ordered some Nox Kitsumas w/ I9 torch thru Colorado Cyclist. Just impatiently waiting for them..

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    2017 Jet9 RDO build-img_2491.jpg2017 Jet9 RDO build-img_2492.jpg
    28.04# with pedals, shockwiz, cage, swat tools and di2. When my kitsuma w/ I9 roll in it should be 27 something. It's built solid also. Finally time to ride!

29er zealot
    That's definitely a sweet build!

Your Best Friend
    My son's bike, size medium, 4 star 29er build.

With 27.5+ wheelset on it...

27.5+ wheelset weight by themselves, with XT 11x46 cassette and rotors.

29er Enve Wheelset. M50/50's with Wolftooth boost adapters, XT 11x46 cassette and rotors.

Bike weight with 29er wheelset.

So just over 1.5lbs with a wheelset swap. It's a direct swap, no shifting issues or rotor rubs. I'm pretty happy with it.

It'll be a great trail bike that can excel on race day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Sweet bike! How does he like it? Lucky son and good dad!

Your Best Friend
    He was grounded for grades since we bought it. Finally got them up and he rode it on Gooseberry Mesa for the first time tonight. It's a nice bike and the he likes the plus wheels on the rocks.

29er zealot
    Silentfoe, I think you need some more options where tires are concerned! 😀

Your Best Friend
    Ya think?

mtbr member
    So after a full weekend of demo's at Moab, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the new Jet 9! The new frame geo fit me better then everything else I tried and was felt great with everything I threw at it. My demo was a XL 3 star plus. The pike felt pretty good. I'm trying to decide if the Fox is worth the upgrade. I already have a carbon boost plus wheelset to throw on it. I plan on throwing on some carbon bars and different dropper as well. Anyone ridden both branded forks on this guy yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    So after a full weekend of demo's at Moab, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the new Jet 9! The new frame geo fit me better then everything else I tried and was felt great with everything I threw at it. My demo was a XL 3 star plus. The pike felt pretty good. I'm trying to decide if the Fox is worth the upgrade. I already have a carbon boost plus wheelset to throw on it. I plan on throwing on some carbon bars and different dropper as well. Anyone ridden both branded forks on this guy yet?
    I have ridden both forks (not on this bike) but you would need to be a guru to find any real differences between the two.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm gonna try to get the ball rolling today!

29er zealot

Still loving this bike.

mtbr member
    When I demo'd the Jet I didn't notice any pedal strikes like the others Plus bikes I tested. However, I forgot to actually measure the BB height.... could any of you get a quick measurement with plus or 29" wheels, thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I believe I measured 13.7" on the new rdo 29er. I dont get pedal strikes much, I once and awhile bash the bottom suspension link in rock gardens as it sits pretty low.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I plan to run 3" tire's on the plus wheels to bring it up a touch from stock 2.8's. Hopefully it doesn't limit me to only 29" down the road!

29er zealot
    I've hit that lower link on a few rocks in Pisgah. Any chance anyone here has made a skid plate and has some photos? If not, I'm going to fab something up...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I think "coyote" or "cytoe" not really sure what his name is. He posts on here and makes skid plates, been doing it awhile. Search around, I bet you'll find him.

29er zealot
    I ended up ordering an ultra duty skid plate for that lower linkage and downtube from Cytoe. Thanks for the recommendation Gutch. It should arrive today. I'll post up some pictures when I get it mounted up this evening.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Ya think?
    What spacers did you have to run to make the next crankset work. I've got the maximum amount of spacers on the drive side and the drive side crank arm still rubs the chain stay under power. For them to work I'm going to have to remove the crank protective boot or or chain stay protecter, which I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing either. Anyone else having this issue?

Your Best Friend
    Race face BB with RF Next SL cranks. 1 spacer on the BB driveside. That's it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Damn, I have 1 spacer behind the DS threaded BB which rubs with minimal power and currently added a thin washer on th spindal on the drive side. Looks like I'll be selling or cutting some rubber

Your Best Friend
    Odd. I don't know what to tell you. Are you sure you have the correct spindle?

mtbr member
    It's the stock 135 that came with the Turbines. The Turbines have 10mm wider Q factor which has plenty of room on mine. Either way, back to Turbines or new spindal for me!

Your Best Friend
    I also used the stock spindle off of the race face cranks that came stock on the 4 star build. My next sl cranks were on my fat bike previously with the appropriate spindle. I'm guessing you may be doing something wrong with your install. I'd recommend you take it to a good lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hi guys. Anyone has any info between the new Jet and the Pivot 429T? Also my LBS was saying they are getting a loot of cable slap noise from their Niners. Any one experienced this?

Your Best Friend
    I've ridden the 429T and the Jet 9 back to back. I'd say they feel similar. The 429T is getting a bit long in the tooth and seriously needs a new model update. No option for 27.5+ if that matters to you. So far no cable rattle on my son's Jet 9 and he's put over 200 rough miles on it.

SPECIALizED
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Hi guys. Anyone has any info between the new Jet and the Pivot 429T? Also my LBS was saying they are getting a loot of cable slap noise from their Niners. Any one experienced this?
    I've had my Jet 9 RDO for 6 months now and no cable slap at all.

mtbr member
    I've only had mine for a month or so and just got back from Moab and did notice quite a bit of noise in the chunk. To be fair it was definetly quieter then the bikes I around me on the same trail. When I got home I removed the bottom cover and played with the internal cables to verify they were the culprit. I ended up stuffing a piece of foam up the down tube.... lightweight free solution. I'll let you know how it works.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Does anyone else notice the monarch rl is "sticky" in the 1st 20% or so of travel? I notice this when pushing down on the seat with the bike stationary. Bushing are all fine. Seems like it might be a air can seal or something, but I can't remember what the bike felt like when brand new...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast