Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    26

    2015 Niner Rip 9 RDO or 2015 Jet 9 RDO

    Hi Guys. My wife finally gave the go signal for me to buy a new frame. My choice would be the 2 above. Been thinking this for almost a week now and i don't want to regret after i purchase one and thinking that i should purchase the other one. I sold my 2012 niner rip 9 alloy so all other components will just be transferred to the new frame i'm buying. the fork i had is Fox fork 2015 model 120mm.

    My ride is primarily trails, fire roads, long travel sometimes, no big jumps but i enjoy putting the bike to the test if i see a very difficult trails (I mean riding it really hard, you know what i mean, right? ).

    I'm leaning towards Jet 9 rdo but also thinking what would be a rip 9 rdo can do compare to my previous rip 9 alloy..

    is the 25mm rear travel difference makes a big impact in technical trails.

    For those who has both, which one rides better? Since Jet 9 and rip 9 both accomodate 120mm fork, what is the real difference between these RDO's.? it would be my first time riding an RDO.

    What about the cracks of the frame, i've seen post here mostly Jet 9 RDO frames.. Does niner already solved that problem? I hope someone from niner can explain the real difference of the new models. and the durability as well.

    Thank you in advance for your inputs. Really excited to have one RDO, but which one is it?

    PICS:
    2015 Niner Rip 9 RDO



    2015 Niner Jet 9 RDO


  2. #2
    Niner's are the best!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    64
    Well Grammy IMO your on the right track coming off a Niner and returning to Niner!

    First before going into which one (jet/rip). I would ask u if you needed '15 because of color choices or just wanted the latest greatest? Cause right now at Competitive cycist they have '14 on clearance sale 41% off for rip rdo and 45% on jet rdo. Plus go threw Active Junkie and get another 11% off. I just got my Rip Rdo frame for 1343.00.

    Next which one!? Without going into a 4 page write up about which one, coming off an older rip 9 I would stick with the rip. More versatile! With the extra money you saved on the frame I would put a pike on it, or upgrade wheels and never look back.

    I've owned a '10 jet9 my first 29er raced and trail rode the hell out of it.'12 rip9 I wasn't that excited about it. Was a great trail bike, but didn't pedal the way I thought it would of, but that basically came down to that shitty rp23 boost valve shock.

    Currently I own a '12 Sir9 (rootbeer) SS fully ridged. '12 Wfo my big chunk ride. '12 Jet9 Rdo my race/put the pike on it @120mm trail ride. And just purchased that '14 Rip rdo frame.

    The reason I got the Rip rdo is because I want a bike that I can ride anywhere, and not have to worry if it's to chucky of terrain, to hilly or to flat. IMO it does everything really well.
    Big wheels are taken over the world!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigdrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,902
    On price alone I would go with another RIP ($1,480 through Backcountry + Active Junky). Unless you ride a size small or x-small, the blowout Jets seem to be all gone.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    26
    Thanks for your input jammerninerb and thank you for giving the competitive cyclist sale on 2014 rdo. I checked it and the size small is still available. By the way, what do you mean by throw active junkie to get additional discount ( sorry really first time to hear it)..

    Now I'm more confused which one to buy considering the drop in price for 2014 model. I have initially choose the 2015 model because of what niner described the 2015 as rdo carbon compaction system that makes the latest model more durable. I'm not really into latest colors but the durability of the frame. There are lots of posts regarding frame crack from previous models..

    I'm leaning on the rdo rip 9 though most of my bike buddies ride the jet 9 rdo, well all of them actually..

    We'll see.. That competitive cyclist sale is really attractive..

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    On price alone I would go with another RIP ($1,480 through Backcountry + Active Junky). Unless you ride a size small or x-small, the blowout Jets seem to be all gone.
    Thanks. I'm 5'8 and will get a small one. My previous rip 9 alloy was a medium and I felt it was really big for me.

    What is active-junkie. How do I go about it, I just created my account in competitive cyclist.

  6. #6
    Niner's are the best!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    64
    ActiveJunkie.com

    Go on that site create an account. Click on Competitive Cyclist 11% promo. Then if you buy a frame on sale and 4 other components you will receive an additional 10% off total price at CC. So if you start off by going threw Active Junkie when your all done checking out with CC you will receive that additional 11% threw AJ. So I would say if u got the ok to spend 3000.00 I would figured this out and spoil yourself with more at the same price.
    Big wheels are taken over the world!

  7. #7
    Niner's are the best!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    64
    I just looked at CC and they have a small green Jet RDO and small blue Rip RDO.
    Big wheels are taken over the world!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by JammerNinerBoxx View Post
    ActiveJunkie.com

    Go on that site create an account. Click on Competitive Cyclist 11% promo. Then if you buy a frame on sale and 4 other components you will receive an additional 10% off total price at CC. So if you start off by going threw Active Junkie when your all done checking out with CC you will receive that additional 11% threw AJ. So I would say if u got the ok to spend 3000.00 I would figured this out and spoil yourself with more at the same price.
    Thanks a lot. Wow that's more than 50% savings compare to 2015 model. I was looking a few hours ago at their latest model. Now I'm checking the 2014 model at CC.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by JammerNinerBoxx View Post
    I just looked at CC and they have a small green Jet RDO and small blue Rip RDO.
    Yes it is still available. May I ask (if anyone has the figure) what is the weight of small jet 9 rdo frame and small rip 9 rdo frame, 2014 model. Thanks again guys.

  10. #10
    Niner's are the best!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    64
    I don't know exactly but I would guess 1.0 to 1.3 lbs less.

    Let me ask u. What was the current build of your Rip9 (components)
    Big wheels are taken over the world!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigdrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,902
    Looks like you are going to get a great deal on which ever frame you pick. If you were prepared to pay close to full price for a 2015, you should allocate some of the savings with going with a 2014 to some carbon wheels!!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by JammerNinerBoxx View Post
    I don't know exactly but I would guess 1.0 to 1.3 lbs less.

    Let me ask u. What was the current build of your Rip9 (components)
    My rip 9_set up was.
    Fox float 120mm fork 2015 model
    XT dynasis group set
    Wheel set ztr arche ex circus monkey hubs DT rwvo spokes
    Niner rdo cockpits
    Selle Italia saddle
    Shimano clipless pedal
    Whole bike weight was 29.8 lbs on a medium frame

    I'm thinking to have a sub 24 or 25 lbs on my next build.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    Looks like you are going to get a great deal on which ever frame you pick. If you were prepared to pay close to full price for a 2015, you should allocate some of the savings with going with a 2014 to some carbon wheels!!
    That will probably the way i'm going after I decide which one to buy. I'm lock in now on that 2014 model @ cc. Thank you guys.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigdrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,902
    If you want to go that light weight I would think of going SRAM 11sp. With the extra discounts on a partial build, you can upgrade to XO1 or XX1 for cheap. To keep the cost down you can order one of these and use your XT cranks.

    Race Face Narrow Wide Chainring | Competitive Cyclist

    If you go 11sp and carbon wheels you should have no problem getting a JET build down to your target weight. I was able to build a RIP @ 26lbs even.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pharmaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by grammy View Post
    Thanks for your input jammerninerb and thank you for giving the competitive cyclist sale on 2014 rdo. I checked it and the size small is still available. By the way, what do you mean by throw active junkie to get additional discount ( sorry really first time to hear it)..

    Now I'm more confused which one to buy considering the drop in price for 2014 model. I have initially choose the 2015 model because of what niner described the 2015 as rdo carbon compaction system that makes the latest model more durable. I'm not really into latest colors but the durability of the frame. There are lots of posts regarding frame crack from previous models..

    I'm leaning on the rdo rip 9 though most of my bike buddies ride the jet 9 rdo, well all of them actually..

    We'll see.. That competitive cyclist sale is really attractive..
    If the new manufacturing system is making frames stronger, then get the RIP RDO - it's stupidly good value, the rally blue is so much nicer than this years, and it's substantially heavier than the jet rdo - ie more carbon, stronger, can take air.

    There have been very few cracked green Jet RDos though - it was very much the 2012 run outs that seemed to have the fault

  16. #16
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,268
    Hands down go for the Rip9 RDO, 500 grams more weight, But much stiffer.

    I love the Jet9 RDO ( at 1 point I owned 2 of them at the same time ) But the Rip9 RDO is much more fun to ride.

    I have owned & spent lots of time on the 09/12 Rip9, Jet9 Alloy, Jet9 RDO & Rip9 RDO & the Rip9 RDO is the best all round bike of them all.

    It gives all most nothing to the Jet9 RDO on climbs, But is much quicker on the downs.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    26
    Thanks bigdrunk. Will check out the sram 11 speed.
    @muzzanic, do u know what is the weight of the small rip9 rdo.
    thanks for sharing man. I think I'll get the small rip9 rdo.

  18. #18
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,268
    Quote Originally Posted by grammy View Post
    Thanks bigdrunk. Will check out the sram 11 speed.
    @muzzanic, do u know what is the weight of the small rip9 rdo.
    thanks for sharing man. I think I'll get the small rip9 rdo.
    I'm not sure on the weight of the small, My Large frame just was just over 6 lb & all built up is 26.6 lb ready to ride & with dropper seat post.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HouseNotes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    208
    I've had a 2012 jet 9 RDO and now ride a 2014 rip 9 RDO. The difference is amazing. I loved my Jet 9 till I got the RIP. The RIP just seems to ride over everything better not to mention the downhills! I'm not a good climber, but I think I'm even faster on the RIP due to how well it smoothes out the ruff stuff on my climbs. Anyway, I haven't lost any time on my climbs vs the Jet. And yes, the extra travel in that rear shock is noticable. Put a minimum 130 fork on the front of this beast and you will have a bike that can definitely "Do it All". (except race competitively against the Jet Also, I believe some of the later model 2014 RIPs came with the newer compaction carbon on the 2015 models but I've had my RIP now for about 6 months and ride some pretty nasty rock gardens and terrain and haven't had any problems. (Niner told me they thought I might have one of the newer frames)
    The RIP is way stiffer than the Jet, thus the extra weight-which by the way-you won't notice.
    I would suggest the LB carbon wheelset to help get the weight where you want it since you're going to be saving a bundle on those deals out there!

    Happy Trails.

    Quote Originally Posted by grammy View Post
    Hi Guys. My wife finally gave the go signal for me to buy a new frame. My choice would be the 2 above. Been thinking this for almost a week now and i don't want to regret after i purchase one and thinking that i should purchase the other one. I sold my 2012 niner rip 9 alloy so all other components will just be transferred to the new frame i'm buying. the fork i had is Fox fork 2015 model 120mm.

    My ride is primarily trails, fire roads, long travel sometimes, no big jumps but i enjoy putting the bike to the test if i see a very difficult trails (I mean riding it really hard, you know what i mean, right? ).

    I'm leaning towards Jet 9 rdo but also thinking what would be a rip 9 rdo can do compare to my previous rip 9 alloy..

    is the 25mm rear travel difference makes a big impact in technical trails.

    For those who has both, which one rides better? Since Jet 9 and rip 9 both accomodate 120mm fork, what is the real difference between these RDO's.? it would be my first time riding an RDO.

    What about the cracks of the frame, i've seen post here mostly Jet 9 RDO frames.. Does niner already solved that problem? I hope someone from niner can explain the real difference of the new models. and the durability as well.

    Thank you in advance for your inputs. Really excited to have one RDO, but which one is it?

    PICS:
    2015 Niner Rip 9 RDO



    2015 Niner Jet 9 RDO

    Single Track Rules!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    42
    Hey Grammy
    I just took advantage of the aforementioned deal at Competitive Cyclist w/ Active Junky to get a RIP 9 RDO. I got an X01 11spd and a Pike 140. I am a die hard CC rider and have been on a 29er carbon hard tail until this bike.

    I put it together Friday night and rode it twice over the weekend and I am totally blown away by it. I rode dozens of full suspension bikes and many were great, but the RIP is insane. It climbs almost as well as my hardtail, I think I need to go to a 30 front ring to get a bit more granny for the steeps. It rocks out the technical cross country I usually ride too. It's awesome on the steeps, where I have never felt that comfortable. I've never ridden a Jet, but I can say that I dont even notice the extra travel on the RIP when I don't want it (but I may drop the Pikes to 130).
    Skip the '015 and get yourself an 11sp groupset as others have suggested w the saved cash. The 10% off plus Active Junky cash is an insane deal on the frame but makes the (way over priced) 11spd stuff slightly more than 21% more tolerable.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4
    bleh, I wish I had known about the activejunky deal before I pulled the trigger on my RIP 9 RDO at CC.

    But yeah, Grammy I struggled with your same question and after reading what everyone said, ultimately decided that it seems the RIP gives up very little for what it gains. I'll let you know if it's true when mine is delivered in a couple days!

    Plus, gotta love that blue on the '14 RIP.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    26
    Hi guys, 2014 Rip9 RDO Rally Blue Small it is. i ordered at backcountry since they are one company (with CC). Got the small one, hopefully i can receive it before Christmas or before new year. I live outside of the USA, but no worries. i can wait.. The price is really really great.. so much room for some other stuff for my budget

    Thanks guys for your inputs,sharing and personal experiences about RIP9 RDO. IT really made my decision quite easy..

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    26
    Here is my previous Niner Rip 9, 2012 model medium. Really great ride as well but on the heavy side @ 29.8 lbs


    With the 2012 niner jet 9 of my son. that jet 9 is really fast, really great bike as well. still with us, my son can't seem to let go of it. Great performance. Really fast.
    Last edited by grammy; 4 Days Ago at 05:51 PM.

  24. #24
    USED2COULD
    Reputation: NS2000X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,110
    I'll throw my hat in the ring, but note my RIP is a 2014 Alloy, not RDO.

    I too love my Jet RDO, have for three seasons now, but the RIP with the 140 Pike is way more fun. If you can keep up to your buddies on their JET RDO's on your '12 RIP, I'm sure a RIP RDO will be no problem on the climbs and the difference "putting the bike to the test" is night and day in favour of the RIP.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm 26.6
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

  25. #25
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,268
    Yes the Rip9 RDO & the New Rip9 Alloy for that matter just feel so much more alive on the trail than the 2012 Rip9, And the 2012 Rip9 was still a very good bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 3 Weeks Ago, 04:56 AM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 4 Weeks Ago, 12:09 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-12-2014, 04:46 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-15-2014, 01:56 PM
  5. 2015 Kona Fire Mountain VS. 2015 Specialized Rockhopper Sport
    By Wess1977 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-21-2014, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •