#14 ·
Medium Air 9 Alloy - 2015
XTR 1 x 10 drivetrain, brakes, pedals
American Classic Wide Lightning wheels
Thunder Burt snakeskin tires
RDO seatpost
Whisky 760mm flat carbon bar
Syntace flatforce stem (77mm)
Selle Italia SLR saddle with cover and padding removed (carbon shell only)
ESI chunky grips
Formula 33 fork

21.5 lbs with pedals. This thing is a rocket. If you told me the frame was carbon (and I hadn't seen the welds) I'd believe you based on ride quality and lateral stiffness.

With a 100mm fork it's a bike that requires attention. It changes direction with a flick of the hips and a tiny weight shift. An unbelievably capable ride for an active rider who is in and out of the saddle, working the bike. It would not be an ideal sit-and-spin bike for an unskilled rider, especially in rough terrain.

A great looking bike (IMO) at a great price - and a PERFECT race bike for someone who actually rides a lot and can't afford to replace carbon if something bad happens.

Taking it to Marathon XC Nationals on Saturday and I'm very excited.

Attachments

#15 ·
Medium Air 9 Alloy - 2015
XTR 1 x 10 drivetrain, brakes, pedals
American Classic Wide Lightning wheels
Thunder Burt snakeskin tires
RDO seatpost
Whisky 760mm flat carbon bar
Syntace flatforce stem (77mm)
Selle Italia SLR saddle with cover and padding removed (carbon shell only)
ESI chunky grips
Formula 33 fork

21.5 lbs with pedals. This thing is a rocket. If you told me the frame was carbon (and I hadn't seen the welds) I'd believe you based on ride quality and lateral stiffness.

With a 100mm fork it's a bike that requires attention. It changes direction with a flick of the hips and a tiny weight shift. An unbelievably capable ride for an active rider who is in and out of the saddle, working the bike. It would not be an ideal sit-and-spin bike for an unskilled rider, especially in rough terrain.

A great looking bike (IMO) at a great price - and a PERFECT race bike for someone who actually rides a lot and can't afford to replace carbon if something bad happens.

Taking it to Marathon XC Nationals on Saturday and I'm very excited.
Beautiful build tommyrod! I agree 100% with your mini review. Compared to my Airborne goblin, this bike is SO much more nimble, which is exactly what I was looking for. The stiffness is something I haven't experienced before, it really feels like every watt of power results in forward movement. Can't wait for my first race on this beast!

Also...I noticed you have a thru axle fork, can you comment on exactly how much better a TA is vs a qr? I currently have a qr fork and am debating on whether a TA is worth it for a 100mm xc fork

#16 ·
nice ride there Tommyrod - I always think that smaller frames look better but at 6'4" I don't have much option. Loving my Air 9 such a responsive frame, I just need to get a more forgiving seat post as this Thomson is a touch painful on rough terrain

#18 ·
I think wide rims are next on the agenda for me. I have Arch Ex's which have been great for the most part, but I've experienced sone squirm with my 2.35 ikon up front (great front tire BTW, would be even better with some wider rims). How do you like the wide lightenings tommyrod? What's the ID on them?

#22 ·
Man, between the rear derailleur hanger for my 2015 Air 9 and the bottom bracket, this has been a PITA to build. Every time I need a special part for a bike build, I wish all these manufacturers would decide on an actual "standard" instead of doing everything differently.

For instance, Niner has two different hangers on their website that they say work with the Niner Air 9 alloy. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the first one DOES NOT work.

Derailleur Hanger - RIP/JET/Air 9 Families, WFO 9 and One 9 RDO, 12 x 142

Derailleur Hanger - RIP/JET/Air 9 Families, WFO 9 and One 9 RDO, 12 x 142 - Shimano DM

#24 ·
I just built one up myself and I had no issues. I was using Shimano cranks and BB and just used a SRAM PF30 to English adaptor. The frame came with a derailleur hanger which worked fine with the SLX Shadow+ I fitted. What is the issue with the derailleur hanger?

#25 ·
The Raceface adapter I bought didn't work with the frame for some reason, so I ended up having to get one from Wheels Mfg. Then I went into the LBS to get a new hanger and they gave me the first one listed above... When it's not the right one even though it's listed on Niner's site as correct. So now I have to order one online directly from Niner, which will probably push my build back a week.

Not big deals overall, I'm just frustrated with all the "standards" out there.

#26 ·
Tommyrod - How has your new whip been so far for racing?

My first race is coming up in 4 weeks. I'm getting antsy! I've already set PR's on all my local off-road segments so I'm really excited to ride it in a race scenario. My first event will be time trial and short track races on Saturday and a ~2 hr xc race on Sunday

#27 ·
7th at marathon nationals (after an 8-minute flat change), first in an XCO race, first in a 2-man 6-hour race, and first in a MTB time trial. Unfortunately I fractured my scapula riding after the TT so I'm off the MTB for 2-4 more weeks.

It's an awesome race bike. Looking forward to more good results after I heal up!

Good luck with your upcoming races!

#28 ·
7th at marathon nationals (after an 8-minute flat change), first in an XCO race, first in a 2-man 6-hour race, and first in a MTB time trial. Unfortunately I fractured my scapula riding after the TT so I'm off the MTB for 2-4 more weeks.

It's an awesome race bike. Looking forward to more good results after I heal up!

Good luck with your upcoming races!
Very impressive! Bummer about the injury, get well soon

#30 ·
Finally figured out my issues with the rear derailleur hanger and the BB, and I got 'er built up tonight. I took it out for a quick, easy 7 mile spin and I'm a fan so far. This will be my go-to XC bike here in Colorado complimenting my Tallboy LTc. A perfect pair, methinks.

Full XT build, Fox 120mm up front, DT Swiss Spline One M1700 wheels, Deore brakes, Honey Badger tires F/R. I haven't officially weighed the bike, but I'm guessing around 23 lbs.

#35 ·
Got 3rd overall in my first "expert" class race saturday. It was just a smaller local race so nothing to brag about, but the bike did everything I asked of it very well. I especially noticed the stiffness when accelerating out of corners, it just felt so instant compared to my old bike

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

#37 ·
Not quite fully healed, but enough to have a great race this past weekend at the NC XC State Championships. This bike is a perfect race rig - light, stiff, comfortable enough, and dialed handling.

Note the big tires on wide rims - on this course, nursing a healing shoulder, the extra traction (and comfort) was well worth the 200-gram weight penalty. Thinkin I might leave them on for a while :)

Attachments

#49 ·
It's a much tighter fit with the Air9's frame shell than the Wheels MFG installation video leads you to believe. I had to press in the non-drive side cup to the point of thread engagement. No fault of the BB itself. It's just the world of press fit BBs and manufacturing tolerances being all over the map.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.