Loser

2014 RIP alloy on the way

I have a 2014 RIP9 alloy on the way. I can't wait. I demoed one at NEMBA Fest a few weeks ago and it was like my 2010 RIP, but better in every way. I'm like a kid counting down the days until Christmas - I should have it by Friday. I'll be moving everything over from my '10 RIP, but I had to get a 142 kit for my rear hub, headset and a few other bits (total $150). My '10 is black so I went for the green, just to change things up a bit.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I have a 2014 RIP9 alloy on the way. I can't wait. I demoed one at NEMBA Fest a few weeks ago and it was like my 2010 RIP, but better in every way. I'm like a kid counting down the days until Christmas - I should have it by Friday. I'll be moving everything over from my '10 RIP, but I had to get a 142 kit for my rear hub, headset and a few other bits (total $150). My '10 is black so I went for the green, just to change things up a bit.
    That's awesome, good for you! In what ways is the new one different from the old? I have a 2010 as well, and am curious about the 2014.

Loser
    That's exactly what the Niner guy asked me when I returned the demo. Honestly I had a hard time putting it in words.

I just felt better overall, more sure footed, lighter, more balanced in the air. Basically when I rode the '14 it felt a lot like my '10, but better. Of course the demo had the latest 11 speed stuff and carbon wheels. I'm hoping that wasn't the difference. When I get the new one up and running I'll post more/better thoughts.

By the numbers the front is slacker, its got an extra 5mm of travel in back and its a .5lb lighter.

By contrast I rode the Rocky Mountain Altitude (RM's RIP version) and I hated it from the first pedal until I returned it. Yes it was efficient when you pedaled but the suspension seemed much more harsh. I thought I wasn't using any travel, but I was surprised to find that the o rings were just about maxed.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog