mtbr member
    Aug 2009

2014 Air 9 Carbon (RDO mold) v. previous Air 9 Carbon

Hi, I'm replacing my XC race frame and have almost decided on a new Air 9 Carbon. I read all the reviews of the Air 9 Carbon I can find and it indeed looks like it would make an excellent race bike. Problem is, all the reviews were conducted of the previous rendition of the Air 9 Carbon in 2011 or 2012, before they changed the mold from that version to share the mold out of which they make the Air 9c RDO.

What I know so far is that the new frame comes from the same mold as the Air 9 RDO and is stamped Made in Viet Nam rather than Made in Taiwan, as I've been told the previous A9c version was. I'm not sure where the A9 RDO frame says it is made, but assume also Viet Nam if that's where the molds reside. So, the CYA BB of the A9c is gone - geared only PF30 BB now - just like the RDO. I assume the layup is different b/t the A9c and RDO (~$500 price difference has to come from somewhere, right). Retail on the Air 9c looks to have dropped $500 (to $1,399) from last year's retail ($1,899?) - maybe the change in supplier has something to do with that, but I'm just guessing.

Does anyone have the new version of this frame (2013?) from the RDO mold and can offer any comparison or contrast with the previous version made from the non-RDO mold?

Is the current model more or less compliant or faster/slower than the previous version? Lighter? (I'd assume lighter since they eliminated the CYA.

I've seen forum posts recently reporting cracking issues with Air 9 C's and an RDO - are the cracking issues more common with the new frame from the RDO mold or the previous non-RDO mold version?

Thanks for the help in advance. This will be my first Niner! (stoked)
    Last edited by Rockbuster; 12-07-2013 at 06:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    No much help but there are a bunch if sales on original air9carbons going on. I've been very happy with my air9carbon both geared and ss.

mtbr member
    Sorry can't help address your questions but I just did build up a 2014 A9C. Post is below most components just moved over from my 2012 Scandium.

Air 9 Scandium to Air 9 Carbon Upgrade Sanity Check

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Has anyone ridden the new 2014 Air 9 Carbon? Just looking for some impressions on how it rides at this point. Bueller?

mtbr member
    Hello, iīm also planning to buy a Air 9, sorry to intrude with this question: my doubt is the size, on Ninerīs website they have a chart with the framesize and height relation, but they also say that if youīre in a transition spot, you should size down to have better agility/steering; or size up if you value speed.
    Whatīs your opinion based on your experience. And i should say that it will be my first 29er.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I don't know as I've not ridden one of the new RDO mold A9C frames - that's why I created the post. Evidently no one else here has ridden one either :| Or they're afraid to talk

I've seen the posts by others who have broken their new RDO mold A9C frames and it concerns me, but they have not posted updates on whether the warranty replacement frames they received have broken or are still holding up. Niner appears to be on the next production run since those broken frames, because the colors are different now, so maybe whatever was going on is fixed - hope so because I ordered one anyway since Niner stands behind their product (big kudos to them for that). So, give me a week or two to get some miles on the new build and I'll tell you my impressions on sizing and ride quality.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by VICpt View Post
    Hello, iīm also planning to buy a Air 9, sorry to intrude with this question: my doubt is the size, on Ninerīs website they have a chart with the framesize and height relation, but they also say that if youīre in a transition spot, you should size down to have better agility/steering; or size up if you value speed.
    Whatīs your opinion based on your experience. And i should say that it will be my first 29er.
    Thanks
    VICpt, try doing a quick search as there are many previous threads on Niner sizing. Personally I am between M and L but fit best on a large due to my torso/leg proportions. I like the longer top tube of the large. It will be a combination of your height measurement and your inside leg measurement that will determine the best frame size. Another good guide is to compare ETT measurements of the Niner's with your current bike.

29ers Only.
    We use a slightly different lay up technique on the new Air 9 Carbon, and have a simpler paint scheme (more paint and less masking) that results in a 200g weight difference over the lighter RDO.

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I too owned the Sandium A9 several years ago. It was a great bike, but made me think I needed to go to a FS bike. I wore a hole in the chainstay during a Fools Gold 50 race due to chain suck. I got a crash replacement and upgraded to the new, at the time, A9C (first run). The difference was astounding. The carbon version was much stiffer while being much more comfortable all in the right way. This was my secret weapon until others caught on. I ended up cracking the frame at the seatpost and Niner replaced it with no problems.

I have ordered the new One 9 RDO, but would have no problems keeping my A9C if I had not sold it. My hope is that the RDO is merely a tweaked (lighter, stiffer and more compliant) version of my old frame.

As far as size, I am 5'9" with longer legs and a shorter torso. I ran the medium with a 90mm stem and no spacers. This set up was perfect for me. I had considered a small using a longer stem as I really like a bike I can flick around, but why mess with perfection.

To sum it up, if you do not need the latest colors, you can save a bit of money with the A9C. Frames can crack from where ever they originate. The important thing is to have a good local dealer who can take care of you when/if it happens. The problem is if you crack one during racing season wherein the common solutions apply, i.e. a back up or borrow one from your LBS while you wait.

I'll be sure to share my experience between the two when my RDO arrives next month.

mtbr member
    Nice post jeremy524.

Do i have it right?, according to Niner Bikes post, the new A9C weights less than 1 kg. They say it is lighter 200g than the lighter RDO, or are they referring to a whole bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Do i have it right?, according to Niner Bikes post, the new A9C weights less than 1 kg. They say it is lighter 200g than the lighter RDO, or are they referring to a whole bike?
    I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they will elaborate within the next couple days.
    There is no way this is the case being they say the RDO is a half of a pound lighter and now it would seem they are saying the new paint make the non-RDO a half of a pound lighter than the RDO. That would be a pound of paint. :-)

mtbr member
    What do you mean with "new One 9 RDO", here we donīt have any model with that designation.

mtbr member
    Ok, iīve seen it, my mistake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice post jeremy524.

Nope... From what I have read (EB13: All-New Niner WFO Enduro Monster – Plus Carbon One9 RDO & More!) The Air 9 RDO is 1150g, the new Air 9 Carbon is 1350g, and the Air 9 is 1480g. I'm hoping the A9C I'm about to order feels alot like the RDO I rode at DirtFest last year!

mtbr member
    Yes, that post was confusing.

29ers Only.
    Sorry for the confusion:

Air 9 RDO 1150g
    Air 9 Carbon 1350g

The ride quality is nearly identical between the 2 frames.

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is the Niner Air 9 RDO 2013 different than the Niner Air RDO 2014 ?

mtbr member

Good job! Mine

Hi, just got it.

2014 Air 9 Carbon (RDO mold) v. previous Air 9 Carbon-fotografia-24.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    How you all enjoying your air 9 Carbon? I see a lot of reviews on the RDO version just not the non RDO version. With 200g difference I just went non RDO version when it was time to relace exsitng carbon frame.
    Last edited by HEMIjer; 4 Days Ago at 07:12 AM.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Hi HEMIjer,
    i like mine a lot, itīs a very stiff and fast ride (frame). I canīt say the same about the wheels it brought (i got mine from a guy that had to sell it, it was almost new); on the first chance (money available), i will change the wheels.
    Overall itīs a great bike.