mtbr member

2013 XS EMD Build Thread

Well it's a decision made - my wife wants in to see what this is all about. After a great deal of research and debate, i am building her an extra small EMD. She is 5'3" and will be a serious beginner with her first time on dirt - should be interesting.

So I am tearing down my XL AIR9 to build the EMD - i just dont ride it that much with the RIP. I just got everything stripped off, clean and ready to go. Ordering the EMD tomorrow, should be here in a few days (plus a new headset - with the spacer for the tapered tube). Also just ordered new cranks and the seat.

Frame - 2013 XS EMD - going with white
    Fork - RS Reba Race - stripped off all the decals - i think the white on white should look nice
    Wheels - Stan's crest on Hopes - qr
    Tires - 2.4 Ardent in front, 2.1 Seguaro rear
    Shifter - SLX
    Rear Der - XT
    Front Der - XT
    Crank - XT, 170mm, 24,32,42
    Cass - XT -11-34 - i wish it was a 36 for her, but it will do for now
    Brakes - XT
    Pedal - flat, pins set LOW for now
    Bar - Easton carbon - 725mm
    Stem - a few options - probably something slight rise/drop and short
    Post - Thomson
    Seat - Planet Bike ARS women's

Just some parts for now - can't wait to start the build this week...

2013 XS EMD Build Thread-p6020084.jpg

2013 XS EMD Build Thread-p6020085.jpg

Carbon & Ti rule
    Cool, I'm sure she will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by fatpig View Post
    Well it's a decision made - my wife wants in to see what this is all about. After a great deal of research and debate, i am building her an extra small EMD. She is 5'3" and will be a serious beginner with her first time on dirt - should be interesting.

So I am tearing down my XL AIR9 to build the EMD - i just dont ride it that much with the RIP. I just got everything stripped off, clean and ready to go. Ordering the EMD tomorrow, should be here in a few days (plus a new headset - with the spacer for the tapered tube). Also just ordered new cranks and the seat.

Frame - 2013 XS EMD - going with white
    Fork - RS Reba Race - stripped off all the decals - i think the white on white should look nice
    Wheels - Stan's crest on Hopes - qr
    Tires - 2.4 Ardent in front, 2.1 Seguaro rear
    Shifter - SLX
    Rear Der - XT
    Front Der - XT
    Crank - XT, 170mm, 24,32,42
    Cass - XT -11-34 - i wish it was a 36 for her, but it will do for now
    Brakes - XT
    Pedal - flat, pins set LOW for now
    Bar - Easton carbon - 725mm
    Stem - a few options - probably something slight rise/drop and short
    Post - Thomson
    Seat - Planet Bike ARS women's

Just some parts for now - can't wait to start the build this week...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6020084.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	804699

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6020085.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	804698

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just curious -- where are you getting your EMD frame?

mtbr member

Parts are here - bike mostly done - we have a problem

Parts showed up and built most of it - all but shifters/derailleurs. Decided to do a quick fit check - standing over the top tube is touching. I am not sure what happened. We fit against similar bikes, all with a 27" stand-over height knowing that was the spec for the XS EMD. plus, i saw several women shorter than my wife (5'3") that were on the XS.

So i am not sure what to do - i could change the reba down to 80mm, go with lower volume tires, make sure the seat is shifted back.....etc i am just not convinced it will give the clearance i think she really needs to be confident as a beginner.... ugh - it may have to go on to craigslist and i start over.....

Came together AWESOME though - it is killer little beast - i guess i will get it shifting and figure out what to do...

2013 XS EMD Build Thread-p6070088.jpg2013 XS EMD Build Thread-p6070086.jpg2013 XS EMD Build Thread-p6070087.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    No way bro! That is her size and believe me when she starts to ride it, it will have plenty of standover for her when she hits the bumps. I always touch when standing on my bike but when it comes to riding, lots of clearance for up/downs and hopping. It's gonna fit her like a glove, I'm sure of it.

not so super...
    My 11 yr old son who is under 5' is riding the same bike. Once on the trail the fit is fine. He is tearing up our Thursday night time trials on it.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 06-11-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    A huge relief as my concerns on size and fit were not warranted at all - the bike really does fit perfectly. Our first trip out was a success. Started at the BMX track a bit just to ride on the dirt, figure out brakes and shifting. It didnt take long before she was ready for the trail - a very smooth gradual sloped singletrack. Went for a couple of miles and there were many smiles - even with a minor digger into the stickers when she stopped in a bit of a valley and couldn't touch...

So - on the build - i ended up with 60mm stem with 10 degrees and i ended up flipping it up, instead of down like i thought i would - body position is actually much better. I went with 680mm width on the bars - cutting down a 725 - kinda wish i had gone with 700 - it just seemed to wide. Also - i just added ergon grips - we will see how they work, but i noticed right away that her natural wrist position was a little off and it was causing some soreness - i think the ergons will help as well as just spending some time on the thing and getting used to the more forward position on a mtn bike.

I will get some photos next time out - the EMD is really an amazing frame, especially for the $. If you are reading this b/c you are considering the EMD - DO IT.