Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

2013 SIR 9 vs Earlier models

I had an earlier SIR9 with set screws. I LOVED the sweet way it rode, but HATED the noisy creaky EBB. Sold it and bought an El Mar and HATED to way it rode. Way too stiff in the rear as compared to the SIR9. I was running them both SS.

So, I want another SIR9. How does the ride quality of the new re-designed frame compare to the sweet smooth as silk ride quality of the older SIR9 frames?

I don't want to plunk down a grand on a new steel frame and be disappointed that its not as smooth as earlier ones.

And, no, I don't have a local dealer to go ride one. I would have to drive minimum 4 hours to do so.

Thanks.
    "...quit hitting me with your hammer"
    www.msmtb.org
    Niner EMD 1x9 ~ Niner SIR9 SS

Mulleticious
    Substitute your "El Mar" for my "Lynskey" and I could have said exactly the same thing as you.

Dying to know the answer to your question - who has ridden both old and new SIR9's???

Mulleticious
    I can't believe we're not getting any opinions on the difference in ride between the old and new SIR9 frames! Anyone?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have had them both and ridden them both with in the last year. The new design is superior by far, from the over sized down tube, 44mm head tube, new rear brake location and the 12mm rear axle. I havent touched my A9C since I built my SIR up. I really liked the old model but the new one rides less like a comfy steel frame and more like a comfy race frame. Granted I am 6'4" 185 LB and ride SS, I really notice the added rigidity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I rarely post but since u have a question I have an answer for I am now. I had a 2010, 2011 and now a 2013 sir 9. I replaced the 2010 with the 2011 because of ebb creak, then had to replace 2011 this year because of a crack at the rear dropout. The new bike is a little different than the 2010/11 (same frame both years) but mostly for better. I add that I never had set screw bike, so I can't comment on the model you had. The 2013 has some good things like the maxle and larger head tube. This makes for better downhill. As to climbing, I think it is on par, maybe doesn't climb quite as well but that may have to do as much with me not riding as much this year and also that I prob need to cut my stem down just a little but more. Bike rides just as smooth as before. Specs say it is slightly heavier, but that translates to thoughts in your head and not reality--or in other words dont worry about weight. The new bike doesn't creak (but had to use oateys pipe joint compound to take care of such). I ride ss with their steel fork, it's my only bike and I love it. Ride hilly tech terrain. It is a little less springy/twitchy which is good. I think you will find it a better balanced ride, tracks a little better.

Mulleticious
    I'm thinking from the comments the new frame may be a little less compliant than the old one (and therefore be a harsher ride) -

"less springy..."
    "I really noticed the added rigidity"
    "more like a comfy race frame"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    I'm thinking from the comments the new frame may be a little less compliant than the old one (and therefore be a harsher ride) -

"less springy..."
    "I really noticed the added rigidity"
    "more like a comfy race frame"
    Nope...it is not a harsher ride, as a matter of fact, it probably DH's better than the earlier frame....that's what nice with the new ride.

Mulleticious
    Anyone know what the new color choice will be on the SIR9s?
    Also - any further design changes? (I wouldn't expect any following the design overhaul a year ago...)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Curious also if they are going to add more colors than white and red. Wish they could get the weight down a bit more as well...

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Curious also if they are going to add more colors than white and red. Wish they could get the weight down a bit more as well...
    Yeah - the white and red is a bit limiting. I'd love to see a silver/grey colour again - the Moondust grey was cool.

I haven't ridden one yet, but the way other frames are going the manufacturers are tending to make them stronger (beefier) in order to reduce breakages / warranty replacements (and potential injuries I guess) so I suspect it's not as comfortable or compliant as the older version, and I also suspect the weight won't be coming down - going up more like!

I can give an example of this with the 2013 Lynskey Ridgeline 29SL I ride - it's so stiff and tough / beefy that it has very little of the traditional Ti compliance and springiness the same frame had 3 or 4 years ago. Yes it's probably all-mountain tough, but it makes for an uncomfortable ride...

A Senior
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    Anyone know what the new color choice will be on the SIR9s?
    Also - any further design changes? (I wouldn't expect any following the design overhaul a year ago...)
    do you know when the new Sirs will be out? Specifically different color choice?
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not tried the new one, but my older (non set-screw) model is simply sublime. So comfy. I'd happily ride it forever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for all the comments. I've actually been contemplating all summer long and finally found a root beer frame of the older model without set screws. Its used but it great shape. Its being shipped now. Can't wait to get it!

Thanks again for all the input. I'll post some pics and ride report after I get it.
    "...quit hitting me with your hammer"
    www.msmtb.org
    Niner EMD 1x9 ~ Niner SIR9 SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I got a quick ride in tonight on my moon dust sir9... Probably my overall favorite bike in the stable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    anyone know, has niner bikes ever considered making the
    sir9 or mcr in an extra-small size frame, like they've done
    with the newer emd?
    maybe niner bikes could respond .....

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    My 2014 SIR 9 frame will arrive tomorrow and the building will commence. Excited to be going back to SS!
    Can you hear me now?

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie View Post
    My 2014 SIR 9 frame will arrive tomorrow and the building will commence. Excited to be going back to SS!
    Pics!!

Almost Ready!!!

Brown Santa delivered some goodness today. Still waiting on fork and a few other items to arrive. Very excited about this build. Haven't been on an SS in quite a while. Glad to be getting back to basics!
    2013 SIR 9 vs Earlier models-20131104_104737.jpg
    It has arrived!

2013 SIR 9 vs Earlier models-20131104_105643.jpg
    Reminds me of how they package some of my kid's toys!

2013 SIR 9 vs Earlier models-20131104_141826.jpg
    Gonna be stiff!

2013 SIR 9 vs Earlier models-20131104_150059.jpg
    White wheels, white fork, white saddle... Too much white?
    Can you hear me now?

Previous SIR Build...

From Nov. 2007!
    2013 SIR 9 vs Earlier models-sir9-001.jpg

2013 SIR 9 vs Earlier models-sir9-003.jpg
    Can you hear me now?

Wicketed
    White bikes are cool. You're going to need white grips with that lot, and never to ride in mud ;-)
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

Quote Originally Posted by swan lee View Post
    White bikes are cool. You're going to need white grips with that lot, and never to ride in mud ;-)
    White ESI Chunky grips and Niner Flat Top bars on the way!
    Can you hear me now?

Drivetrain Done!

Forgot how easy it was to setup a SS drivetrain!
    2013 SIR 9 vs Earlier models-20131107_193218.jpg

Surly 21t in back...
    2013 SIR 9 vs Earlier models-20131107_193251.jpg

Chromag 34t up front...
    2013 SIR 9 vs Earlier models-20131107_184915.jpg
    Can you hear me now?

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie View Post
    Forgot how easy it was to setup a SS drivetrain!
    It always amazes me how fast they go together. No setting der limits, running der cables, der tuning, etc...
    Addicted to the Classifieds

Rear Disk Post Holes?

Had an extremely tough time mounting my rear caliper. It seems that the rear post holes didn't quite line up with my Elixer X.0 caliper holes. When I would try to tighten one of the Torx bolts, the threads would catch the inside of the caliper hole and cause the entire caliper body to move, making it difficult to align. I've had this happen before with other frames/brakes but this setup was really tough! I think what I'll do is take a file to the caliper body holes and add some space so the caliper body can move more freely around the Torx bolts. Anyone else experience this? Any other suggestions?

2013 SIR 9 vs Earlier models-20131104_205320.jpg
    Can you hear me now?

For anyone interested, a thin file did the trick! I also switched from torx to hex, which made it easier to install. I got my torque wrench on the front bolt but the wrench was too bulky to get to the back one. Just waiting for my fork to arrive and I'm going riding!!!
    Can you hear me now?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast