the train keeps rollin

2013 rip9 alloy, front derailleur issues?

Hi, is anyone running a triple crank up front with derailleur success? Have bash/32/24, derailleur will not clear the seat tube, drop down into little ring. It seems the direct mount is situated for 38t and 36t chainrings, good ole 32 is not working. Anyway back to business, is anyone running a triple crank on RIP9 Alloy 2013 (new) with success?

thanks.
    beaver hunt

Loser
    Did you use the spacer on the drive side of your bottom bracket? I didn't at first and couldn't get down to granny (though I'm running 24/34/bash) had the same issue with the derailleur bottoming out against the seat tube. If you put the spacer in it moves the rings out enough that you can get to granny.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

the train keeps rollin
    Hi Jisch, Yes, 1 spacer drive side. What model front derailleur are you using?

thanks.
    beaver hunt

Loser
    This one: Shimano XT M780 E-Type Derailleur Oe > Components > Drivetrain > Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

It worked perfectly once I put that spacer in, before I put the spacer in I was convinced that Niner messed up with the posts on my bike.

the train keeps rollin
    thanks, same one I have, looks like if I had 36 or 34t middle-ring, the chain would be high enough to get kicked off onto small ring. The 32/24 or 32/22 combo is not going to work on size large with shimano setup. You can't position the derailleur low enough, seems pretty bogus. I got my bike dialed in, ready to roll.. argg..
    beaver hunt

Carbon & Ti rule
    With Sram there is a different front derailleur for the different chain ring sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    thanks, same one I have, looks like if I had 36 or 34t middle-ring, the chain would be high enough to get kicked off onto small ring. The 32/24 or 32/22 combo is not going to work on size large with shimano setup. You can't position the derailleur low enough, seems pretty bogus. I got my bike dialed in, ready to roll.. argg..

the train keeps rollin
    Hi, Muzzanic, same deal shimano, 780 is 3 ring front, same as my cranks. 785 is for 2 ring setup. To me, the posts are designed toward 2 ring 39/26. I get that, but 32/22 is pretty standard setup. Tech specs says 3 ring compatible, not 3 rings circus. I was told 780E would work, not the case.
    beaver hunt

Carbon & Ti rule
    I haven't looked at shimano, What I'm saying is for 2x they make them for 22/36 & 24/38 & 26/39 & 28/42 all different derailleurs.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    Hi, Muzzanic, same deal shimano, 780 is 3 ring front, same as my cranks. 785 is for 2 ring setup. To me, the posts are designed toward 2 ring 39/26. I get that, but 32/22 is pretty standard setup. Tech specs says 3 ring compatible, not 3 rings circus. I was told 780E would work, not the case.

the train keeps rollin
    gotcha, doesn't help me when I have xtr shifters, rear derailleur. money pit.
    beaver hunt

Loser
    I realize for certain designs a direct mount derailleur is the only option, but they really reduce flexibility - this is my first bike with a direct mount. As much as I hate getting a clamp mount front derailleur lined up, at least it gives you the options.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Not sure if this is your issue but with a triple crank and triple derailleur you will need to have the derailleur in the same position as if there was a big chainring. I found the best way to set this up is leave the outer ring on and set the derailleur height. Then put on the bash and set the shifting and limits. Your derailleur doesnt magically change when you put a bash on, it still thinks its a triple.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.