mtbr member

2012 Rip9 - main pivots keep loosening

Love my RIP, but getting really tired of fighting with the main pivots at the lower linkage (mostly the forward main pivot under the bb shell). I've torn everything down and re-greased the pivot axles, used blue loc-tite on the threads and torqued everything to spec several times now. Each time, the ride is totally silent and creak-free for the first hour or so. By the end of the ride, the suspension is creaking like crazy under every pedal stroke and every time the suspension is rebounding. Each time, I check the pivots and the main pivot at the front of the linkage and under the BB shell is loose. Should I try Teflon tape on the threads? Blue Loc-tite doesn't seem to do anything and I'm not willing to try red or permanent (bad experience with this in the past).

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Probably an obvious question, but I have to ask... have you made sure you're torquing the pivot bolts to spec? Reason I ask is I've heard a few times that the tightness spec was changed and might not be what's written on the bolts. *edit* I guess that spec difference is only for the Jet 9 RDO model.

Did this problem start out of the blue or was it after removing and reinstalling the bolts?

mtbr member
    Torqued to spec (5.2 ft lbs). The problem started out of the blue and took a while to figure out where the creaking was coming from. Started with the usual process of elimination: seat post clamp, cranks, chain rings, pedals, etc. first and eventually found that the lower pivots were loose. Stumped... Going to go through the process again tonight and head out for another ride tomorrow morning. I hope I can get through at least one complete ride without all the noise.

That's an odd one to sure. I was hitting my head against the wall with my RIP 9 trying to track down a creak that only happened when under power. After also eliminating all the usual suspects I was convinced it had to be the bottom bracket... only after removing it twice to clean and re-grease did I finally discover the noise was from the 12mm rear Maxle that was slightly loose. Tracking down creaks is enough to drive one insane!

Only thing I can think of is the possibility of those bolts loosening themselves if there is too much friction and/or the bearings were not pressed completely into their bores. If you haven't already done so it is definitely worth checking that all the bearings are fully seated and rotating smoothly when you take things apart again.

Probably also worth giving Niner a call tomorrow to see what they suggest.

mtbr member
    I'm about to give up. Went through everything again tonight. Bearings are smooth and seated and pivots are torqued to 5.2 ft lbs. Down the drive it's quiet back up the driveway it's creaking away with every pedal stroke again. it's definitely something with the lower pivots, though. Pivots are still tight, so I'm at a complete loss as to what to do next.

Quote Originally Posted by Qfactor03 View Post
    I'm about to give up. Went through everything again tonight. Bearings are smooth and seated and pivots are torqued to 5.2 ft lbs. Down the drive it's quiet back up the driveway it's creaking away with every pedal stroke again. it's definitely something with the lower pivots, though. Pivots are still tight, so I'm at a complete loss as to what to do next.
    I have to say, based on what you're describing, that the lower pivots might be a red herring. I essentially went through the same thing when I focused on the bottom bracket... it was quiet for a while after R&R'ing the BB and then started creaking away again. I really think you need to look elsewhere. If you haven't checked out the rear axle/dropout area definitely give that a once over... a loose skewer or thru-axle can definitely cause a creak as my experience and quite a few others have shown. 2010 RIP 9 creaking help.

mtbr member
    Well, pulled the lower linkage off and went through the process again. It's now dead silent, so we'll see if it survives an entire ride. Should get to run it for a couple of hours after work on Wednesday; keeping fingers crossed.

A Senior
    Apr 2008
    Update?

mtbr member
    I'm still struggling with the noise. I've been through everything and also just replaced the Fox shock bushings with the new polymer system and the noise is still there. Bearings are all appear to be fine, pivots torqued to correct spec. I've been through the BB, cranks, chain ring bolts, pedals, seat post, seat rails, rear cassette, rear drop outs, maxle, rear derailleur, and on and on. The noise is usually gone after initially going through the pivots and re-torquing, but within an hour of starting a ride it rears it's ugly head again. It's really loud and driving me and everyone around me crazy. I have a new bottom bracket on the way to see if solves the issue if not, I'll replace the linkage bearings next. Very frustrating to say the least.

Always Learning
    I'm still struggling with the noise. I've been through everything and also just replaced the Fox shock bushings with the new polymer system and the noise is still there. Bearings are all appear to be fine, pivots torqued to correct spec. I've been through the BB, cranks, chain ring bolts, pedals, seat post, seat rails, rear cassette, rear drop outs, maxle, rear derailleur, and on and on. The noise is usually gone after initially going through the pivots and re-torquing, but within an hour of starting a ride it rears it's ugly head again. It's really loud and driving me and everyone around me crazy. I have a new bottom bracket on the way to see if solves the issue if not, I'll replace the linkage bearings next. Very frustrating to say the least.
    Spray lubricant on them after the bike is all assembled.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    Bruce

Spray lube on the linkage pivots or the shock bushings? I did try additional grease around the pivot axle heads, bolts and spacers. The noise came back quickly, and all the grease did was attract a bunch of dirt and dust.

mtbr member
    Went through things again tonight. It is definitely the rear pivot in the bottom linkage. It seems to be the contact area of the non drive side bolt face and the bearing (bearings are smooth and in great shape). As I initially loosen the axle, there's a cracking sound. Retightened everything to spec and it is now silent. This lasts a very short time before the creaking sets in again. Lubing this area with grease has done nothing but temporarily fix the problem and attract a lot of sand and dirt.

Always Learning
    Bruce

Spray lube on the linkage pivots or the shock bushings? I did try additional grease around the pivot axle heads, bolts and spacers. The noise came back quickly, and all the grease did was attract a bunch of dirt and dust.
    I should talk. My JET 9 was a squeaking, creaking beast today. I don't hardly ever wash it, but last weekend's race was a muddy mess forcing to break out the soap and water and hose. I'm going to have to overhaul the entire bike based on what I heard today during this weekend's race. Seatpost, bottom bracket, pedals, pivots, everything. Everybody on the trail could hear me coming....

I've actually had good success spraying WD-40 on the pivots at times to displace any water and crud. Other times I have had good success with lubricant. At the moment, it appears I am in the same boat as you and I will make an update after I tear it down and overhaul everything this week.

BB

mtbr member
    Well, about half an hour into the ride it started creaking again. I broke down this morning and ordered an Enduro Max suspension bearing kit. I can break that back linkage pivot loose and re-tighten it and everything is quiet for a short period of time before it starts again. The bearings in that pivot feel ok, but there has to be something wrong with one of them. Good luck with yours. If your like me, a noisy bike can ruin your time on the trail.

two wheel whore
    Ugh, I feel you man. I just removed my cranks, retightened all pivots, and still have a small creak. Keep us updated.

Always Learning
    Good luck with yours. If your like me, a noisy bike can ruin your time on the trail.
    Whether it's a bike or a bed creaking, I simply enjoy the fact that "I'm getting some"....

My JET creaked like this once before after a muddy race involving a thorough cleaning of the bike. Taking it apart, regreasing everything that needs it solved the problem that time. I am assuming it will this time as well. I just need to make time this week to have at it and remind myself about muddy races in the future.

mtbr member
    Enduro max linkage rebuild kit came in today and everything is installed. Bike is dead silent; hopefully this has finally resolved the problem. First ride tomorrow morning - fingers crossed.

Update: Well... The creak came back about an hour into this mornings ride. I've now spent several hours and $$ chasing this down and it just won't go away. It's still the lower, rear pivot. Crack the axle loose and re-tighten and the noise is gone for a short period of time, but it always comes right back. This really sucks as the bike rides great - I just can't deal with the constant noise any more.
    Last edited by Qfactor03; 07-07-2013 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

2012 Rip9 - main pivots keep loosening

Clean the quick release where it contacts the frame. Also, rough the frame up where it contacts the frame. Sometimes crud will bike up on the qr and cause this problem.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, I've been through all of those parts several times now and no go - including the rear cassette and free hub body.

two wheel whore
    How does the axle/cylinder look? I'm about to make a thread - I've got scoring on the front lower one.