mtbr member
    Jun 2009

2012 RIP vs. 2013 on Trails

So, my Jet9RDO warranty frame is on the way, but I have a question. My son who is an avid trail rider and races would like to get rid of his hard tail for a FS. Competitive Cyclist has 2012 RIP9s on sale for 30%off, in my color and in my size. I'm not a racer and last year originally going to buy a RIP, but I got a great deal on a 2012 Jet RDO. I was thinking of giving the new RDO to my son and buying a RIP. Out here in Western NY, there is very little cross country riding. mostly single track and lots of roots and rocks. The question for someone like me, not interested in tearing up the single track but enjoying the ride, would the alum. RIP be better than the Jet RDO for what I want and how does the 2012 RIP compare to the 2013. Not the carbon versions. Also the local Niner dealer has no demo RIPs. I look forward to your opinions.

Thanks.

Greg
    "Boldly they rode & well, into the jaws of death, into the mouth of hell, rode the 600"

Loser
    I'm sure there are others who can answer your question more directly than I can. I had a '10 RIP9 and recently got a new RIP alloy. Our terrain here in CT sounds a lot like what you describe, all roots and rocks, there are hills, but they are all relatively short. The alloy RIP9 is better than my '10 was in just about every way (and I loved that '10 RIP). The slacker head angle is definitely noticeable both in good (better descending) and bad (the front tire can wander a bit on steep climbs if you don't manage it).

I find the bike to be a great all-arounder I ride it 3-4 times a week and its truly a great bike. I can't say I have a lot of experience on other bikes, but I love this bike and really don't covet anyone else's bike - which is a rare experience for me.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks. I also re-read some of the past threads regarding the RIP alloy vs. the RDO and got a good idea of what I think I will do. I'll see what magic discount my son can get on the RIP Alloy and go from there.

Thanks.
    "Boldly they rode & well, into the jaws of death, into the mouth of hell, rode the 600"

Carbon & Ti rule
    Coming off a Jet9 RDO & onto a 12 Rip9 will feel like the 12 Rip9 heavy & slow IMO

The 13/14 Rip9 Alloy is a very good bike & you would like that change much better IMO.

I will add more in a couple of hours when I have a bit more time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If you do go the 2012 RIP route, I think Jenson has even better pricing, close to half off.

Niner Rip 9 Frame 2011 > Components > Frames > Mountain Bike frames | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    I had a 2012 RIP, a J9RDO, and ride both 2013 RIP9, and RIP9RDO.

I'd say the 2012 RIP, and J9RDO handle the same terrain, the same way. Both have relatively same general ride on the trail, but just put your body in a different position on the bike. For me, the position is a big difference. The J9RDO is obviously the better bike, and probably more versitile, especially with a 120 fork.

Muzz always said, and I agree, the J9RDO can do anything the old RIP can do, but it's faster, better climber, stiffer, more responsive than the old RIP.

The J9RDO puts you in a more aggressive race position. On top, and forward. The new RIPS put you IN the cockpit. It feels amazing honestly. WIth a 140 fork, you're in total control going down. It can get a little squirrelly going up, but change body position, and it's no issue at all.

Personally, I might get your son an old JET9 (Also on sale) if he's into racing, and you keep the J9 RDO, put a 120 on it.

Though, I am impressed with the price of the 12 RIP9.. still a killer bike. The only thing that I don't have experience with, is how the 12 RIP9 would feel with a 140 on it, as mine had 120 on it.

If I was buying a new bike today though, $2,999 for a complete 13 RIP9 is pretty bad ass. Upgrade as you want.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks, I currently have a fox talas 100-120 on th RDO now. The 100 was just too stiff for our trails. I would be putting that on it and keeping it at the 120 along with my X0 stuff. I will just have to see the price difference between the 12 and 13.

Millman.