Thread: 2012 Jet9 RDO?

mtbr member

2012 Jet9 RDO?

I've got an opportunity to pick up a very gently used 2012 Jet9 RDO frame and was wondering about the shifting issues I had read about. Does the shift kit completely resolve these? Is it worth a discount or should I spring for a new frame?

For reference, the frame is over half off what a new frame would cost and has less than 200 miles, never crashed and in great shape.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The shift kit I got from Niner works perfectly. Just make sure to follow all the directions.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    I read all about it, then just went with external full cable routing. I never look at a bike and think, wow, no cables.....

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have built up 5 of them & was 1 of the 1st to get one & I have never had a problem even with the way they were 1st set up, I have the shift kits but have never bothered to fit 1 as I have never had a problem.

Still going strong so if it is setup right it works just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd be worried about the cracked frames. Looks like the warranty is only valid for the original owner. That said, I never had an issue with the old or new shift kit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've posted this on another thread but I've had the shifting issues that are well documented. Some people have had success with setups, such as Muzz, but others haven't.

My original XO 2x10 was good for about 6 months and then I started having problems. I had the first shift kit installed by a Niner dealer and again it was good for a while. Then I started getting ghost shifting with read suspension compression. After multiple trips to the dealer I couldn't get it working well so went external.

With external everything shifted great but the cable was now running under the bottom bracket. This eventually led to paint damage in this a tree a even though there was plenty of slack on the cable.

Recently I had XX1 installed on the bike and the dealer suggested we try the latest shift kit. I took it for a couple hour ride last week and it was a disaster. Tons of ghosting, even with small compressions, and by the end of the ride I couldn't drop to the smallest rear cog. Rather than mess with it myself I'm bringing it back to the Dealer to check since they set it up. Ultimately will likely go back to external as at least performance wise it was by day the best for many (and many others if you read the thread on the shifting issues).

I would also be wary of not having a warranty on the bike if you are getting it used. If something did happen you will be on your own in terms of repair.

Speaking with Niner they are confident that the latest shift kit should solve all the problems but it hasn't been the experience of a number of Jet 9 RDO riders. Some have found it worked well initially and then got worse after a few rides while others report good results in dry conditions but bad performance as soon as it gets wet or muddy.

I'll post an update if anything changes with my current shift kit.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't doubt your experiences but doesn't Niner still have the same setup on the Jet 9 carbon. Either its not a big deal for most people or Niner is really ****ing people over. Glad my warranty replacement frame is the new RDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
    I've posted this on another thread but I've had the shifting issues that are well documented. Some people have had success with setups, such as Muzz, but others haven't.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Re: 2012 Jet9 RDO?

Quote Originally Posted by danny31292 View Post
    I don't doubt your experiences but doesn't Niner still have the same setup on the Jet 9 carbon. Either its not a big deal for most people or Niner is really ****ing people over. Glad my warranty replacement frame is the new RDO.
    Honestly I'm not sure how the cables are run on a Jet 9 Carbon and have never looked at one up close. I know that one the new RDO you can run full length cable housing internally and that pretty much resolves things but you can't do that on the 2012 RDO unless you drill out the frame and that voids the warranty.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    With the latest shift kit you can run it all internally too. But you still have the sharp bend at the bottom bracket. I think the earlier version isn't full housing until it exits through the bottom bracket though. I never had a problem with the original except when my shock pressure was too low. The full housing shift kit did add a little friction though. I preferred the original setup but I broke a ferrel and had to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by danny31292 View Post
    With the latest shift kit you can run it all internally too. But you still have the sharp bend at the bottom bracket. I think the earlier version isn't full housing until it exits through the bottom bracket though. I never had a problem with the original except when my shock pressure was too low. The full housing shift kit did add a little friction though. I preferred the original setup but I broke a ferrel and had to upgrade.

On the first gen Jet 9 RDO's (like mine) you can't run full length housing the whole way (from shifter to rear derailleur) because of the cable stops in the head badge. This was changed in subsequent models. If you drill these out to run full housing, then you void your frame warranty with Niner.

Here is the latest instructions from the Niner Encyclopedia:

2012 Jet9 RDO?-jet-9-rdo-cable-stops-routing.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

2012 Jet9 RDO?

Niner stumbled with the rear cable routing on the original Jet9 RDO. The biggest issue I had was with the proprietary ferrules breaking and slipping into the frame. The latest kit solved this issue by mostly doing away with the ferrules. On my 2012 frame I also drilled out the head badge so I could run continuous housing. All problems solved. It took a year but Niner got it sorted. Of course, they ditched the design all together with the latest bikes (cables pop out half way down the down tube rather than under BB.)

So the shifting on the older bikes can now be setup to be smooth and reliable. I love my bike. I can't think of one I'd rather have and I've convinced three of my closest friends to get them too. All that said, I'd never buy one without a warranty. I had to warranty my rear triangle and my teammate cracked his seat tube. it's funny, a year ago this forum was nothing but people spazzing out about how awesome this bike is. This summer it was jammed with people showing pics of cracked frames...

Among my circle of friends we've owned 9 Niners over the last five or six years and seven of them broke. Warranty process was excellent, but I'm glad I had it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    Niner stumbled with the rear cable routing on the original Jet9 RDO. The biggest issue I had was with the proprietary ferrules breaking and slipping into the frame. The latest kit solved this issue by mostly doing away with the ferrules. On my 2012 frame I also drilled out the head badge so I could run continuous housing. All problems solved. It took a year but Niner got it sorted. Of course, they ditched the design all together with the latest bikes (cables pop out half way down the down tube rather than under BB.)

So the shifting on the older bikes can now be setup to be smooth and reliable. I love my bike. I can't think of one I'd rather have and I've convinced three of my closest friends to get them too. All that said, I'd never buy one without a warranty. I had to warranty my rear triangle and my teammate cracked his seat tube. it's funny, a year ago this forum was nothing but people spazzing out about how awesome this bike is. This summer it was jammed with people showing pics of cracked frames...

Among my circle of friends we've owned 9 Niners over the last five or six years and seven of them broke. Warranty process was excellent, but I'm glad I had it!
    Niner has stated that drilling out the head badge would void the frame warranty. Weren't you concerned about that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

2012 Jet9 RDO?

No.

mtbr member
    lol...I like you already...
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    No.