mtbr member
    Mar 2009

2012 Air9 Head tube / head set questions

The Niner website says that a headset is included for the tapered headset on the 2012 Air 9, but it isn't very specific. So I am have a few questions:

Does the headset includes everything I need, especially the fork race for a tapered fork?

Does it include a race for a non-tapered steerer? (I know some previous RIP 9's did)

The tapered head tube is over an inch longer (on an XL) than the 2011 non-tapered. Can anyone provide a measurement of their headset+head tube height (without spacers and stem) and their frame size? I am trying to estimate how long of a steer tube I need on a used fork.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The Niner website says headsets are included but there were a fair amount that were shipped from Taiwan without therefore making us smucks have to shell $$ out for a headset at our LBS, The headsets were to be FSA for tapered steerer tubes, My steerer tube with 1" of lower spacers and about 3/4 abouve the stem was 8.25 inches for a LARGE Air 9,

Fan of 'Hams
    My new 2012 Air-9 frame delivered last week did come with a FSA headset. It definitely came with a base plate for use with a 1.5" fork... but I'm not sure if there was also one in there for 1.125" or not (it's at my dealer getting built so I can't check right now).

On a related topic, I've seen mixed information on the compatibility of King headsets with the Niners. Will King's Inset #2 design work on these? Just curious as I'll probably use the included FSA at least initially. http://chrisking.com/files/upload/he...-Fit-Guide.jpg

Dirty South Underdog
    The inset is not an integrated headset, so, no, it won't work.

Also, if your headset is missing, have your shop call Niner. Their customer service is excellent, and they'll send one to you the shop immediately.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio