mtbr member
    Jun 2009

2012 Air9 Al seatpost slip or creak

I have a 2012 hydroformed Air9 with a Thomson Elite seatpost. If I grease the post to eliminate a creak, then it will slip and I lose height over a ride. Very frustrating in a race today!! If I use carbon assembly paste, then it doesn't slip but it creaks. I even tried a little of both. Anyone grease their posts and have it not slipping? What kind of grease?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've used carbon assembly paste on 2 different seatposts (pmp titanium post and now Enve carbon) and never had any issues. Isnt the the noise coming from the rails of the saddle or even the seatclamp?
    OBEY

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm having the same issue on a 2012 One9 with a Tomson seatpost the squeaking is incurable. I've tried every combination I can think of.

mtbr member
    I had a creak in my EMD9, I cleaned the seat post, Thomson Masterpiece, and the seat post tube and that took care of it. No grease or anything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I had the same problem but with more power on the seatpost clamp it works without grease

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    No issues here...
    2012 One 9 Alum/Thompson Elite

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    2012 hydro air9....
    tried a thomson post with grease and dry....slipped and creaked.

ti post with anti sieze and dry, slipped and creak.

switched to a ec90 carbon post with carbon paste....still slipped and creaked.

kept the ec90 post and this time switched to a thomson clamp....no more slippage but still creaks like mad.

i am going to try a thomson post and the thomson clamp....i think that may be the best set up to finally kill and slippage and creak.

besides the creak.....LOVE the bike!
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thomson masterpiece here and mine creaks. I relubed it tonight and tightened down some more, we'll see how long it lasts. I love the bike, but the bottom bracket creaks, the headset creaks, and the seatpost creaks. seriously, wtf.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ride some mountains instead of creeks...
    I guess I'm lucky. no creaking here, but again I'm half deaf...

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    Quote Originally Posted by blantonator View Post
    I love the bike, but the bottom bracket creaks, the headset creaks, and the seatpost creaks. seriously, wtf.
    lol....word!

my bb is starting to creak too.....i think the bio-centric 2 will help. i had a bike with a pf30 bb and i used a problem solvers ebb and that had two fixing bolts.....never creaked.

headset also creaked, outta the box. swapped to a cane creek 40 series headset top and bottom....killed it. fsa crap really sucks.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

Epic rider
    For the seatpost creaking, check the fit / diameter of the frame's seat tube. Creaking and slipping with a Thomson often indicates a seat tube reamed too large. It should already be a reasonable tight fit without tightening any seatclamp bolt...

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    lol....word!

my bb is starting to creak too.....i think the bio-centric 2 will help. i had a bike with a pf30 bb and i used a problem solvers ebb and that had two fixing bolts.....never creaked.

headset also creaked, outta the box. swapped to a cane creek 40 series headset top and bottom....killed it. fsa crap really sucks.

A local shop here here uses anti-seize on the ebb. Works great so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blantonator View Post
    thomson masterpiece here and mine creaks. I relubed it tonight and tightened down some more, we'll see how long it lasts. I love the bike, but the bottom bracket creaks, the headset creaks, and the seatpost creaks. seriously, wtf.
    Use no lube on the seat post, clean the $#!t out of it. Use a little on the seat clamp bolts. Mine no creaky no more.

thecentralscrutinizer
    The only time any Thomson post creaks is when there is a consdierable amount of dirt in the seat clamp area. Take it apart and clean.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    tried everything . installed clean and dry posts and also with grease/carbon grease. greased seat clamp bolts and having tried the niner clamp and a thomson clamp.

and, having installed both thomson and easton ec90 posts....

i think the seat tube on my one9 is over reamed. no other explanation.
    Last edited by Kam; 07-22-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Epic rider
    Too large seat tube happened to me on my alu Epic. Frame was swapped (to carbon Epic) by Specialized. Seat posts kept slipping or making "ticking noise" when moved to front and back by hand (even without sitting on it...).
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    I'm using a 27.2 post in my Air9 with a shim. I had some creaking and other noises. I put carbon paste on the shim, inside and out, and a bit on my seatpost. No creak on my ride tonight. Oh, it's a carbon post.

mtbr member
    Totally different bike (Kona Honzo + Rockshox Reverb + Chromag QR clamp) but I too have been experiencing the most annoying creaking with the Reverb post. SRAM recommends using friction paste (I used Finish Line paste) and tightening the clamp just enough that it doesn't slip. Well I'm a big guy and needed quite a bit of pressure to prevent the post from slipping. And not only has it been slipping every ride, the creaking was even more annoying than constantly readjusting the QR clamp. With every bump and pedal stroke, it was a creaking noise.

First I thought my rails were dry, tried a couple different lubes, and went even as far as ordering a new saddle clamping kit for the post to try that out and it turns out it was all coming from the seat tube.

I gave up playing around with the right pressure of the Chromag QR clamp, there just was no sweet spot and a whole lot of aggravation mid ride. Too little and it constantly slipped and rarely creaked, too much and it was creaking with every bump and pedal stroke.

This was my first time using the Finish Line carbon friction paste (or any friction paste for that matter) and I will never bother with it again unless I'm dealing with actual carbon fiber it seems.

I cleaned all the friction paste off the post and inside my seat tube, hit it up with some isopropyl alcohol for good measure. Then lightly lubed the post with my go-to grease, Rock N Roll Red Devil Grease and tighten the Chromag QR tight enough as usual.

Now for the good news, the post had zero slippage during my 4 hour ride today and ZERO CREAKING!!!!! And I'm a hard rider too.

As for tightening the seat clamp too much as SRAM recommends under 6nm (or just tight enough to prevent slippage), I have noticed zero effect on the Reverb going up and down. It doesn't bind and functions 100% as it should. And quiet free. Finally.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I used to have creaking issues as well with my Air9/Thomson Elite combination. Greasing it was a bad idea since I had slippage. I degreased the seatpost as well as the ID of the seat tube. I put some baking powder on the post before clamping it down. No more noise. I also use a Thomson collar if that helps.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i shot a little carbogrip in my seat tube and it's been quiet since

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think I finally found the right lube. Now my standard practice is to clean often and then put a very thin film of Triflo lube. Much better and has been for a while now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have a 2012 one9 and had the same problem, it would loose a half an inch in 10 miles. I tried everything. I finally fixed it, no noise or slip in last 500 miles. I used as much Teflon tape as I could wrap on the tip of the post and still get it to fit, used a salsa clamp and all is good.