mtbr member
    Jun 2008

2010 RIP 9 suspension question

I had a 2007.5 RIP 9 with a Maverick DUC32. The bike climbed like a dream, especially when I reduced the front travel on the fly as you can do with a DUC. I sold that bike sometime ago and purchased a 2010 RIP. I put a 2011 F29 Talas fork on it because of the ability to go from 120mm to 95mm on the fly and thought that it would mimic the feel of the old RIP with the DUC. Instead my perception is that it is actually more difficult to climb with the travel reduced rather than at the full 120mm. In fact I can feel an increase in pedaling difficulty as soon as I reduce the travel.

Does this make sense?

trail "cleaner"

yep....

while not on my RIP because it stays at 120mm all of the time... But, years ago when Marzocchi was big on their ECC cartridges to quickly lower the fork's travel, I could really sense that the hills felt more difficult to climb when the fork was lowered. I think it was due to the weight distribution was shifted so far forward when the fork was lowered. Note to self, leave your fork out at 120mm on the RiP. She'll climb with no problems.
    No dabs allowed!

MoJo Moto
    yep..... not sure I understand, but there has been lots of threads addressing this same deal. It's not just you and your bike. Some how folks feel extra drag when they drop the forks to climb.

My forks don't adjust, so I have not felt the extra resistance
    Ride Hard or Ride Home Alone.