mtbr member
    Feb 2007

2010 RIP 9 Headset Problem

I JUST got the frame in and checking everything out but I think I have a headset problem. The top bearing will not fit flush into the head tube. Is it supposed to stick out a bit or is it supposed to sit flush like the bottom bearing? The bottom one goes in/out with no problem while the top one is a lot harder. I don't think it's supposed to be pressed in as I've had two other integrated headset frames and neither one was like this. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 RIP 9 Headset Problem-headset.jpg  

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by norcom
    I JUST got the frame in and checking everything out but I think I have a headset problem. The top bearing will not fit flush into the head tube. Is it supposed to stick out a bit or is it supposed to sit flush like the bottom bearing? The bottom one goes in/out with no problem while the top one is a lot harder. I don't think it's supposed to be pressed in as I've had two other integrated headset frames and neither one was like this. Thanks for any help.
    The top bearing sticks out as you noted.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Is it me? Or is the bearing not sitting square in the HT? If the bearing is not square, it's a big problem. If it was me, I'd assemble the fork on to the frame and see if it all comes together correctly once you load the headset bearings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    Is it me? Or is the bearing not sitting square in the HT? If the bearing is not square, it's a big problem. If it was me, I'd assemble the fork on to the frame and see if it all comes together correctly once you load the headset bearings.

It's not just you, I noticed that. Though I don't think it's the bearing but rather the paint or the head tube not being faced properly. The head tube top is definitely not straight but I guess it's not necessary for integrated headsets. I just hope the head tube and the bearing hole are properly aligned. The bearing seems to sit well when I look at its inside position and the top cap covers it up and rotates fine.

Flaccid Member
    That's how it sat, I believe on my 2009 RIP. Should be preloaded before you make a decision if it's right or wrong.