mtbr member

2010 RIP 9 and Formula Oro K24 brake problem

I've been riding my 2010 RIP 9 with new Formula Oro K24 brakes since July '10. Haven't had any problems with the brakes at all. I recently changed out the brake pads, and noticed that the rear pad isn't completely engaging the rotor. The top 2-3mm of the pad never touches the rotor at all. This leaves a strong groove as the pads wear.

I took it to my local LBS (a good, high end shop where I bought the bike) and asked them to either change out the rotor or the mount so that it lines up correctly. They couldn't find a rotor, mount, or combination that would work to make the pads fully line up with the rotor.

Has anyone else had this problem with this combo (RIP 9, Oro 24 brakes)? The shop called Formula, but they said to call Niner. I called Niner today, but Eric is out until next week. I'm just curious to see if I'm alone in this issue.

I don't have the money to upgrade to new brakes, and would like to find a good solution for this. So far the only thing I can think to do it to mill the mount down by 2-3mm to make it better match the rotor, but I hate to do something permanent like that.

Any thoughts?

DG5
    mtbr member
    Do your brakes work? If so,leave it alone.
    I love my bike.

Underskilled
    I have the same issue on my WFO front and back.

If it is only a mm or so, do not worry about it.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What is the rear rotor size?

If it is 160mm try upgrading to 180mm with an adaptor.

Formula and Shimano use a 180mm rotor, Avid a 183mm and I think there are 185mm rotors on the market too.

So if you are having the problem with a 180mm rotor you should be able to get a slightly larger rotor to fix the problem.

Flaccid Member
    Make sure the adapter and the rotor are the same size and brand on the rear, as well as on the front. Formula makes 160, 180 200 and 220mm rotors and adapters.

I'd also save those k 24's for flat stuff, and if you do lot of vertical that is steep, step up to a brake with a larger brake pad surface, like the RX, R1, The One, Mega series of brake pads.
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 04-15-2011 at 05:47 PM.