mtbr member
    Jun 2009

2010 RIP 9 creaking help.

I'm getting some some creaking from the BB area of my 2010 RIP 9 on left side pedal down strokes and im having a hard time diagnosing the source.
    So far ive:

-removed/inspected/tightend to spec the BB/cranks/pedals
    -checked for play in the shock mounting points

Any other ideas?

banned
    Just went through the same thing, ended up being the rear hub. Regreased the freehub, noise gone. I swore it was the crankset, removed and re-checked 3 times.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by skeltah
    I'm getting some some creaking from the BB area of my 2010 RIP 9 on left side pedal down strokes and im having a hard time diagnosing the source.
    So far ive:

-removed/inspected/tightend to spec the BB/cranks/pedals
    -checked for play in the shock mounting points

Any other ideas?
    Rear skewer/hub is a common culprit, weirdest source I have found is the front derailleur bolt. Damned mountain bikes and their creaking... 20 years of MTB and I still can't find creaks sometimes.
    Last edited by JMH; 07-28-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Had some raceface cranks & it was the LH crank arm loose on the shaft that goes through the botton bracket.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    agreed the crank/bb always gets blamed but more times than not it is elsewhere. skewers are the first place I check. One time a smart guy showed me that grit between crossed spokes was causing the problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks a bunch.

COMBO - President
    Just had my BB area pivot bearings replaced, creak is not gone. Had replaced the BB but that did not cure the creak.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The creak is gone! good call JMH on the derailleur bolt... That would have been the last place I checked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeltah
    The creak is gone! good call JMH on the derailleur bolt... That would have been the last place I checked.
    That's just weird. I guess I'll start there though, I have the same issue as the OP.
    Thanks, I'd have never, ever thought to check that.
    Scott

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_strom
    That's just weird. I guess I'll start there though, I have the same issue as the OP.
    Thanks, I'd have never, ever thought to check that.
    Scott
    It doesn't take long to put a wrench on every bolt on your bike... if it makes a "tic" when you give it a push in either direction, it's almost certainly the culprit.

Glad you found your noise! I had a seatpost earlier this season that was creaking deep inside the frame, I cut an inch off the end and it stopped.

beater
    My bike's creaking seems to come and go like the rheumatis. Same with brake squeal.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Flaccid Member
    I pretty much clean my bike after every ride, an Atomic Blue RIP. So far, the only thing that squeaks ever on it is wet brake pads/rotors. I have had slightly loose skewers on my AIR 9 drive me crazy, until I found the culprit.

RBlackwood
    I had an identical creak/click in my bottom bracket that drove me nuts. I tightened my rear axel and it instantly disappeared. Weird how the rear axel makes it sound like the bottom bracket is the issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Try the Chainring bolts also. Took my chain rings apart and put a llittle lub on the bolts and stoped my creaking.

Closekids.com
    I'm cursed by wanting a quiet ride....
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

Flaccid Member
    My bottom linkage pivot bolts on my WFO wouldn't stop creaking after torquing them to 65 inch lbs. Took it up to 75 in pounds, backed them off, then reset to 65 inch pounds. Solved the creak, for good.

mtbr member
    My WFO creaking is driving me insane! I had the shop pull the headset and relube at the same time they checked the BB, about 30min into the ride after that the creaking came right back. I am going to check the rear derail bolt but I am at a loss.

Anyone know how to service the bearings on the linkage on these? Is it as easy as pulling the caps lubing the bearings and then re tighten to spec?

mtbr member
    There was a thread where someone had a great writeup on how to take apart all the pivots and press out the bearings, etc, if i find it I'll post a link... Maybe someone else can link to it too. I get creaks from the lower pivots every couple of months, I pull out the axles and linkage (usually just lower, once in a while ill do the upper) and wipe down and clean everything, even the cone shaped washers that go between the bearing and linkage. When its all apart I spin the bearings with my finger, I'll only remove/lube the bearings if they are gritty, otherwise I just brush the gunk out from around them and clean the surrounding areas (not spraying any cleaner ON the bearing). I clean the axles well, and then put a light coat of grease on them and re-assemble, nice and quiet for a few more months!
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member
    I have a RIP 9 with about a year and half on it. I had been chasing a creek for much fo the summer and fall. I replaced the bearing ans still had the creek. A week ago I took the shock off placed it in a vise and had play inthe bottom DU bushing. replaced the bushing and the credk went away. Check your DU bushings.

CM

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wmbarace View Post
    I have a RIP 9 with about a year and half on it. I had been chasing a creek for much fo the summer and fall. I replaced the bearing ans still had the creek. A week ago I took the shock off placed it in a vise and had play inthe bottom DU bushing. replaced the bushing and the credk went away. Check your DU bushings.

CM
    For some reason a DU bushing is not registering. Help me out, what is a DU bushing? Where did you get a new one?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    the DU bushing is apart of the shock. you need special fox tools to press them in and out correctly. yes you can do it with a vise but its not worth the risk of damaging the new parts. Your shop should have the tool though.

MoJo Moto
    Check the hardware on your rear dropouts......
    Ride Hard or Ride Home Alone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. Rear dropout hardware! I surely removed every bolt on the bike and that was the one. I would have never thought of that. I've had this creak since last summer and this spring just couldn't stand the thought of another summer with this creak on an otherwise flawless machine.

Loser
    I have had the same issue with my '10 RIP9 - I can silence it for 3 months at a time by taking off the dropouts and greasing them. I've tried marine grease, silicone grease and anti-seize compound - none has lasted more than that 3 month period. If someone finds a permanent fix, I'd love to hear it! Its not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to be rid of it once and for all.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This thread saved my sanity! I had a ton of creaking when pedaling and swore it was the crank. I swapped out my crank and BB to no avail. Was ready to remove my pivots when I found this thread. Tightened the drop out screws and the noise is gone. Thank you, thank you!!!!