mtbr member

Smile 2010 Jet 9 BB Spacer?

I've been riding my replacement 2010 Jet 9 XL and loving it. Great bike for a big guy.

I've experienced a few times, with enough chain slap, that the chain can get caught between the now-beefier chain stay and the big ring. Should I put a spacer on the BB drive side?

You can see some scraping on the chain stay behind the BB in the attached photo. And yes, I know I have THREE quick links on my chain.

Thanks!
    Canman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 Jet 9 BB Spacer?-46641_1516498072233_1227925311_31578903_8377616_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    BTW, I did a search for "jet" and "jet 9" and I get no results. Ever. Need to email the administrator b/c search seems broken.

30-ton War Machine
    I ran two on mine and that solved the problem.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Methinks that the bb is 68mm? Which means 2 spacers driveside, 1 spacer non-driveside for most brands. Or one spacer each side for SRAM bottom brackets.

Might not solve the scuffing but should greatly improve your chainline.

JMH

Enki loves you
    I see you have one of those new spokeless wheels, how you finding it? how does it work, mag lev? ;-)

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by acanfield
    I've been riding my replacement 2010 Jet 9 XL and loving it. Great bike for a big guy.

I've experienced a few times, with enough chain slap, that the chain can get caught between the now-beefier chain stay and the big ring. Should I put a spacer on the BB drive side?

You can see some scraping on the chain stay behind the BB in the attached photo. And yes, I know I have THREE quick links on my chain.

Thanks!
    Canman
    Et tu, JET 9? Crankset clearance issues....

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have an XL frame and I get my chain stuck in there too. The best advice I heard is when it gets jammed, just compress your suspension and it will work free without having to stop and get off the bike. That trick has saved me a couple of times, including in the first mile of a race where I would have been passed by the entire class if I had to stop.

In another thread Niner blamed it on improper setup/spacing, but I know I am using the proper spacing. It is just a flaw with the frame.