Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    I take 14,000 ft drops
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    84

    ... and if we just ... 2 days on RDO; 2 new KOMs

    After my new build was finished I hit the the local trails I've been riding the past 6 months. I also decided to start using Strava with the new bike. 2 days in and I have 2 KOMs on descent segments I didn't know existed and a top 5 on my favorite loop. Jet9 RDO purchase is officially justified. Thanks Strava! And NINER!

  2. #2
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,118
    Great job

  3. #3
    I take 14,000 ft drops
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    84
    Thanks Muzzanic-- Definitely pleased with it so far. Looking into what it is going to take to get under riding around 23.25 lbs without a new fork or carbon wheels. Weight weenie mode activated

  4. #4
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,118
    Quote Originally Posted by sellemt View Post
    Thanks Muzzanic-- Definitely pleased with it so far. Looking into what it is going to take to get under riding around 23.25 lbs without a new fork or carbon wheels. Weight weenie mode activated
    Do yourself a favor & just leave it & work towards some carbon wheels, Something like the Light bike carbon rims.

    Weight off the wheels helps a lot, It isn't at the cost of the ride.

    When I ride my wife's crests I'm not as fast because I just don't trust them, They flex quite bad.

    Carbon rims you get light & stiff.

  5. #5
    I take 14,000 ft drops
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    84
    OK you got me. Ive been scouring the web for some carbon hoops. Should I really be concerned with Crests flexing on me riding them hard @140lbs? If so, forget I ever mentioned getting a set. I was VERY close to hitting the checkout button so Im glad I saw your reply.

    My question is……
    If I want carbon wheels I need to get a very sweet price on some. Ive been looking at my local swap meet page and there are a few options as well as new. How bad are the Easton EC70s? I've heard of their hubs sucking pretty hard. If not, I could get a set of NIB EC70s for $1320. That is about 600 cheaper than the rest (Enve, reynolds, I9, Stans)

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    62
    Take a look at noxcomposites.com too, there aren't a ton of reviews but they're all very positive.

  7. #7
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,118
    Ok the only carbon MTB wheels I have owned & ridden is a couple of sets of I9 Like bike carbon, Reynolds carbon & I9 Trail carbon.

    I also at the moment have 2 sets of Flow EX wheels with Hope hubs, 1 set of I9 Flow wheels, 1 set of Arch EX on hope hubs, 1 set of crests on hope hubs & 1 set of Sun Ringle Charger Pro's.

    So get to ride a few of my own wheels & what ever I ride on other peoples bike.

    I will build up a set of I9 Derby wheels soon as well.

    I'm not 140 lb, I'm 175 lb on a good day.

    The Reynolds wheels felt good but I wasn't happy with 24 spoke & was not happy with the Free Hub & low POE, I couldn't get a free hub for XX1 at the time so sold them/

    The LB rims work well & for the money are a great option.

    The I0 torch Trail carbon wheels that I have are a good wheel, But I would go for a wider rim with my next set.

    A set of Hope Hoops Arch EX wheels would be a good option in alloy if you had to keep the price down, A bit more weight than the Crest but all the better for it.



    Quote Originally Posted by sellemt View Post
    OK you got me. Ive been scouring the web for some carbon hoops. Should I really be concerned with Crests flexing on me riding them hard @140lbs? If so, forget I ever mentioned getting a set. I was VERY close to hitting the checkout button so Im glad I saw your reply.

    My question is……
    If I want carbon wheels I need to get a very sweet price on some. Ive been looking at my local swap meet page and there are a few options as well as new. How bad are the Easton EC70s? I've heard of their hubs sucking pretty hard. If not, I could get a set of NIB EC70s for $1320. That is about 600 cheaper than the rest (Enve, reynolds, I9, Stans)

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Ok the only carbon MTB wheels I have owned & ridden is a couple of sets of I9 Like bike carbon, Reynolds carbon & I9 Trail carbon.

    I will build up a set of I9 Derby wheels soon as well.


    The I0 torch Trail carbon wheels that I have are a good wheel, But I would go for a wider rim with my next set.
    So what is your take on I9 hubs? I know the POE are really nice and they have an XX1 free hub conversion. What I have heard is they can be really unreliable and the spokes break easily. What is your take on their reliability?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kev84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    25
    I would have looked at carbon earlier but I just assumed they were way out of my price range...How can Light Sell them so cheap?

    How much better would these be than my Arch EXs

    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Do yourself a favor & just leave it & work towards some carbon wheels, Something like the Light bike carbon rims.

    Weight off the wheels helps a lot, It isn't at the cost of the ride.

    When I ride my wife's crests I'm not as fast because I just don't trust them, They flex quite bad.

    Carbon rims you get light & stiff.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    22
    Here's the link: carbon mountain bike-mountain bike,mountains bikes,carbon mountain bike,carbon mtb bike,mtb bike,carbon bike Light-Bicycle

    I'm saving for a Rip9 RDO, and will be getting the 33mm wide carbon rims from LightBicycle, but for a Jet9 it you might want something different. With those hoops, some want to just get the rims and build them up, but I think i'll just pull the trigger on Novatec and be happy. General consensus on the LB rims is that they're pretty bada$$, especially for the price.

  11. #11
    trail "cleaner"
    Reputation: AZmtncycler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,298
    I am a huge LB fan... All five of my wheelsets are now LB carbon ranging from the 35mm wide hookless design to the "old school" 30mm wide "AM" hooked model. Once you ride carbon rims..... you'll never think about buying anything else.
    No dabs allowed!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    198
    Jet 9 climbs like a beast

    LB Carbon.....think I'm gonna take the plunge and build up....need to decide on Hubs. Hadleys seem pretty sweet for the price?

  13. #13
    I take 14,000 ft drops
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    84
    I'm thinking about doing the same now. Trying to compare a custom LB build to the rest of my potential choices. Has anyone priced them with DT240s, i9s, or stock stans 3.30s?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    198
    Those hubs (more for the DTs) & a build with those rims are gonna run around $1000 is my guess.

  15. #15
    I take 14,000 ft drops
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    84
    That is hard to pass up. I'd really like some Stans 3.30Ti hubs but they won't sell them unless laced to a wheelset. They are quite nice for a good price. Have you seen any weights for at DT, I9, CK, or Hope build? Also which spokes did they recommend, I see they have 2 options.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott the Great View Post
    Here's the link: carbon mountain bike-mountain bike,mountains bikes,carbon mountain bike,carbon mtb bike,mtb bike,carbon bike Light-Bicycle

    I'm saving for a Rip9 RDO, and will be getting the 33mm wide carbon rims from LightBicycle, but for a Jet9 it you might want something different. With those hoops, some want to just get the rims and build them up, but I think i'll just pull the trigger on Novatec and be happy. General consensus on the LB rims is that they're pretty bada$$, especially for the price.
    This was pure evil! At over 1k, carbon rims were not an option. At $600 you just compromised my marriage.

Similar Threads

  1. Ever have one of those days?
    By Pin2Win in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 06:05 AM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-26-2012, 07:13 AM
  3. 2012 Strava KOMs and PRs
    By francois in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 09:07 PM
  4. Riding Days vs. Running Days for Spartan style race?
    By SLOCanucker in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 07:51 PM
  5. Core and strength training on rest days or riding days?
    By Evan55 in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •