Thread: 1x9 rip 9

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

1x9 rip 9

I did a quick search and didn't see anything was curious if anybody is running a 1x9 setup on there rip 9 and what there using and what problems if any it's for a new build this winter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Running my RIP 1x10. I like the clean set up of no front derailer. 32T chain ring. Only problem was keeping the chain on the chain ring. Ran MRP chain guide, the one on top, but kept loosing the chain off the bottom if I moved the pedals backward at all while bouncing down some rough or when just putting in the car. Ended up putting a Wigit on. Liking it so far.

mtbr member
    I run my jet 1x9 -32 on the and 11-32 cassette I use an e-13 chainguide works well for me...i will be building up a rip in the next week or so and use the same set up with an 11-34 cassette ......the way I see it ....it looks cleaner less to go wrong, less chain bouncing around(cause you can take off a few links) as most guys I know spend most of their time in the middle ring maybe a bit lighter but not why I do it .It comes down to this -If i need granny to climb it I am not that interested I will walk and by the time I wind out the gears on a middle ring I am going as fast or faster than I am brave enough to go....
    biking makes it better

mtbr member
    1x9 on my Jet with no problems and really, really love it... made me a better climber, more aggressive rider in certain situations, simpler, and slightly lighter.... what is not to love? Running with a blackspire 32t up front and MRP 1x guide.

Scant abuse
    28teeth widgit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1x9 rip 9-widgit.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    28teeth widgit
    that looks wicked
    biking makes it better

Carbon & Ti rule

1x9 is the answer to nothing.

Ok my 2c

1x9 is so last year.

1 x 10 is so much better if you are going to go 1 x somthing.

11-36 rear & 36 front You can climb just about anything.

With the 32 on a Rip9 there is quite a bit of chain slap but when you go 36 up front most of that is gone & you have much longer legs for fast down hill tracks.

Building a power house grunter down hill liking bike with no top speed gear is like building a Corvette with a 2L engine in it.

mtbr member
    1 x9 is for the folks with strong legs and cheep budgets.,, like me

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sounds like you have to have the latest and greatest all the time. 1x9 is bomb proof and works great for alot of people. Just get a SS chain ring and a chain keeper of some sort.

QUOTE=muzzanic]Ok my 2c

1x9 is so last year.

With the 32 on a Rip9 there is quite a bit of chain slap but when you go 36 up front most of that is gone & you have much longer legs for fast down hill tracks.

Building a power house grunter down hill liking bike with no top speed gear is like building a Corvette with a 2L engine in it.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Been running 1x9 with a Salsa singlespeed 32t chainring, Raceface bashguard & BBG inner ring guard for over a year. Not a single chain drop. With a 34t cassette, I haven't had a need for a lower gear.

Carbon & Ti rule
    [QUOTE=twklei]Sounds like you have to have the latest and greatest all the time. 1x9 is bomb proof and works great for alot of people. Just get a SS chain ring and a chain keeper of some sort.

Yes I do but XT 11-36 cassette is $60 XT 10 sp derailier $70 & 36 FSA front ring for $20 is not much to pay to open the bike up & give it some legs.yet still let it climb.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Okay, I'll be the naysayer. My main ride is a single speed SIR9 so when I built up my RIP9, I went 1x9. I didn't like it. I added a granny gear and shifter and went to 2x9. Although the RIP9 climbs out of the saddle okay for a full suspension bike, I preferred the sit and spin method. When I took the bike to Moab I was very happy having the granny because I could spin a much higher RPM in the technical climbs. Low RPMs (aka mashing) makes it more likely to stall out or lose traction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    Ok my 2c

1x9 is so last year.

Building a power house grunter down hill liking bike with no top speed gear is like building a Corvette with a 2L engine in it.
    I like the sound s of that 1x10 set up with the bigger front chain ring and not a crazy out lay of cash for the experiment either .....must try this
    biking makes it better

mtbr member
    That's also my experience. I find that 1x9 works fine on a hard tail but the 2x9 is more appropriate for a full suspension since standing on the pedals causes too much suspension movement.
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Johnnie A, got any pics of your setup? Running 1x10 with wigit 32T. I've got some clicking noise coming from the chainring, guessing the wigit doesn't work well with 10 speed chain. Ran MRP chain guide, top one, no guard, but sometimes the chain would pop off the bottom of the ring, bouncing downhill. So got a wigit, now clicking. Would like to see your setup.