mtbr member
    Feb 2004

1x setups and Air 9 RDO

I want to switch to a 1x setup soon on my AIR 9 RDO. Niner doesn't recommend more than a 32 tooth chainring when running a SRAM XX1 crankset.

I'd prefer to run a 34 chainring and wanted to know if there are people out there running 1x setups with a 34 chainring. XX1 has a 49 mm chainline.

Some options that I have considered are:

My first choice is an XTR crankset with 104 bolt pattern running a wolftooth components 34 tooth chainring. Chainline is 50mm. I like this option the most because I don't need a new BB and the 104 bolt pattern is common so replacement rings should be easily available.

Second choice is getting SRAM cranks with removable spider and using a direct mount chainring from wolftooth components. Chainline is also 50 mm.

Any feedback would be appreciated. If there are options I may be missing let me know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm running a 1x9 on my RDO as well, no issues at all aside from the occasional chain drop (which always happens at the worst possible time!).

Crank is a Rotor 3D with the Rotor 34T Q-ring and the shimano XTR rear derailleur (M972) and cassette. I'm not sure the chain line, but it works fine. I've recently installed the Bionic Chain Guide which has helped with dropped chains, but over a 120km race a few weeks ago I still dropped it 4x I took it as a small time to rest!

Currently on the fence in moving up to 1x10 with a clutch derailleur but I'm at a position where nothing is broken and I can push the gears I have so no real point in spending the $$.

Anyway, I digress, I know that does not help you with your SRAM set-up, but at least it gives other options.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post

Currently on the fence in moving up to 1x10 with a clutch derailleur but I'm at a position where nothing is broken and I can push the gears I have so no real point in spending the $$.

Anyway, I digress, I know that does not help you with your SRAM set-up, but at least it gives other options.

D
    Do it. Just for the clutch. 4 drops in one race would be it for me. That set up would have to go. I'm on a race face ring with a xt clutch der. and haven't had a drop since I put it on.

As for the OP, based on clearance on mine (and what osteo is running) it appears a 34t will fit. FWIW I ran a 34t on my A9C I had before and never had an issue. Not sure how the chainline compares on the two though so that may not be helpful.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm running 36T on my Air 9 Alu without any issues at all with good spacing, recommended on this frame is 34T. I running Raceface NEXT SL 51mm offset vs SRAM 49mm offset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    I'm running a 1x9 on my RDO as well, no issues at all aside from the occasional chain drop (which always happens at the worst possible time!).

Crank is a Rotor 3D with the Rotor 34T Q-ring and the shimano XTR rear derailleur (M972) and cassette. I'm not sure the chain line, but it works fine. I've recently installed the Bionic Chain Guide which has helped with dropped chains, but over a 120km race a few weeks ago I still dropped it 4x I took it as a small time to rest!

D
    Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I can use a converted triple crank or I may go with the Raceface Next SL.

I did try a 36 mounted on my double crank with 120 BCD. That was a no go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If you go with a triple ring you want to check to see what the smallest chainring you can put in the front on the large mounting holes. Chances are it will probable be around 40T or so...

In my case my Rotor 3D is a double crank, so 34 is the smallest I can put on the outer ring. If I wanted smaller it would be on the inner mounting holes and would look funny as the spider would extend farther that the chainring would (if that makes sense).

As it turns out, I've now gotten frustrated enough (my last ride did it!) with the dropped chains that I am going to change to a 1x10! I'll be selling a bunch of XTR stuff cheap cheap!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone running a SRAM xx1 crank with 168 q factor on a air 9 carbon (no rdo version butlims look same as RDO)?

Looks like for sure i can run that iwth my 32t ring, what about a 36T wolftooth, being used with a x9 short cage rear deraileur.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Anyone running a SRAM xx1 crank with 168 q factor on a air 9 carbon (no rdo version butlims look same as RDO)?

Looks like for sure i can run that iwth my 32t ring, what about a 36T wolftooth, being used with a x9 short cage rear deraileur.
    I talked to my teammate this weekend who is running a xx1 with a 34 tooth blackspire chainring on his air 9 carbon. No problems for him. The niner encyclopedia recommends 32 as the max. I think 36 might be pushing it.

After having drivetrain issues at nationals twice, I decided to make the switch earlier. I talked to a mechanic at my lbs and he said that a 34 will work even on an xx1 or x01 crank. He recommended moving one of the spacers from the non-drive to the drive side and taking off the metal chainstay plate. It's what he did for my teammate. I have an x01 drivetrain on order and will be putting it on as soon as it arrives.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The parts came in yesterday and I installed everything and took it out for a ride. I'm using a BB30 crank X01 crank with a 34 tooth sram chainring. The mechanic at the shop recommended putting 3 clear spacers on the drive side. I did that but the crank would barely turn when I torqued the crank bolt to spec. I removed the spacers and switched the wave washer to the drive side, sram recommends having it on the non-drive, and the cranks turned smoothly. With the chainstay plate installed there was still plenty room between the chainring and chainstay. I took it out for a ride and had no issues. Chainline doesn't seem to be an issue either.

It was so sweet not hearing my chain flop around. I should have done this sooner.

So yes, a 34 tooth chainring will work on a sram X01 crank as long as the wave washer is moved drive side.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    To pull this up a bit and continue. I pre-rode a course the other day and dropped the chain twice screw it and ordered a while pile of new parts... making a 1x10 (have a bunch of 1x9 XTR for sale!)

XTR 986 Rear with Clutch
    XRT Rear Cassette
    e.Thirteen 42T rear sprocket
    Rotor 3D Crank with 34t Q -Ring

Big edit - I deleted a bunch of stuff... as I was fighting with the install of the new components.

I can confirm the Rotor 3D crank with a 34t ring works fine with a 42t e.thirteen large sprocket. I removed the spacers on the drive side due to my fighting with it before, currently I have a thin plastic washer. I may try putting one of the small spacers back in at a later time and check the chain line.
    Last edited by osteo; 08-01-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Dirty South Underdog
    Unless you get a narrow-wide style chainring, you will still need to run a chain guide of some sort.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio