mtbr member
    Oct 2010

120mm Rockshox Pike with 100mm Monarch RT for racing?

Planning to build a new Jet 9 Carbon later this year and debating on the right fork and travel amount. Also unsure about the shock the frame comes with (Monarch RT).

This will be my do-it-all mtb, so it will see action in everything from shorter xc races (90-120 minutes), longer endurance races (4 hours+ ... 50-100 miles), and of course fun weekend getaway rides :-)

I'm thinking the Pike may not be the way to go for xc racing, but sounds great for endurance races and everything else. If I didn't go with the pike I'd probably go with a SID RCT3 ... in either 100 or 120mm?

Regarding the shock, any opinions on how the Monarch RT compares to a Fox CTD. The only full-suspension bike I've had came with a Fox RP-23 and I love that shock ... the Monarch appears more simple with only two settings, "locked" and "open" ... no idea how effective each position is?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Very interested as well as I am looking at the new Jet 9 Carbon frame. I know I'm going with a 120 fork just not sure what route to go. I even thought of an X-Fusion for the price.
    Any thoughts? Fox, Rockshox....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

120mm Rockshox Pike with 100mm Monarch RT for racing?

In the end you will need to make the choice. In my opinion the confidence and comfort of a pike is going to make riding more fun and definitely more comfortable over 50 miles. If you are looking to save seconds in an xc suffer fest go for a 100 mm SID. Otherwise lose a half pound by drinking one beer less each week and get the Pike. I have never been in a 50 mile race or long training ride and said "I wish I if less travel".

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The Rock Shox monarch RT has 2 compression settings: open and pedal, per their website. So it's like Fox (C)TD, with no lock out climb function.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    I think that the Pike will be best overall, try to shave weight on the wheels instead
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sounds like the Pike is a great fork, and probably the better option for longer endurance rides and races. If I get a chance I'll try to test ride a Jet with a 120mm and 100mm fork ... I'm curious how much difference in handling between the two?

I haven't found a lot of info/reviews on the Monarch, but what little I have found, it sounds like the Monarch has less small bump compliance compared to Fox shocks, but maybe better in the rough stuff?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    The Rock Shox monarch RT has 2 compression settings: open and pedal, per their website. So it's like Fox (C)TD, with no lock out climb function.
    The Fox CTD is not a lock out either. Just very stiff. The Monarch has been a decent shock. For me it has been every bit as good the equivalent Fox.

Most of the time I am able to ride in the full open mode. Sometimes I switch to the pedal. I have only used the climb/lock out once when I was going up a 5 mile gravel climb at Mulberry Gap. In other words I don't use the pedal setting.

Why not just order the Jet w/ the pike option instead of building? If it is just a few parts you want swapped maybe they will do it for you. My RIP was an xt build with the fork and wheel upgrade. The dealer was more than fair to me.

JET 9 CARBON
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon