Out there
    Aug 2006

The 09 RIP9 'now I've had it a while' thread

So I've had mine a while now.

Here's the skinny.

All the first ride impressions have been borne out in spades. This bike is really different to the 07. It's SO much stiffer and as a result it will plow through things the 07 will baulk at.

The two places where this becomes obvious are

(1) Uberchunk rock gardens. These are a hell of a lot of fun on the 09 -- my technique is to blast at them as hard as I can and roll the biggest stuff I can see. The 07 required much more of a 'line picking' mentality.

(2) Jumps/drops. Or rather the landings. The 09 feels like my downhill bike. It simply 'sticks' the landings. WHOOMP. The 07 always felt as if it squirmed on landing. I put this down to flex in the wheels but I was wrong. It was the frame.

Now the negative. Like several people, I had problems with a 44t big ring and this frame. I eventually swapped out the 44t for a $5 bash ring from the LBS and have had no problems since then.

I'm currently running 22/32 but am still thinking about 20/30/40 or 22/36.

The other 'problem' I had was one I saw coming... my American Classic wheels. I love these wheels and they were fine on the 07 but the 09 leads you into a whole 'nother level of mayhem and the Classics were the first victim. Earlier in the week I decided to try a new approach to a difficuly uphill log-roll... namely blast downhill, carry my speed, and... well, I don't know what I expected to happen really except that the RIP9 has gotten me a little overconfident.

What actually happened was that I lofted the front wheel, the back wheel engaged with the very large log at extremely high speed, I went flying over the handlebars, and the AmClassic rim ended up somewhat tacoed.

It was pretty funny. I guess I can rule out that technique for getting over logs, anyway.

However this is a fairly typical example of how the bike makes you ride. Things that I always thought twice about on the 07 I now don't even notice. The 07 made me a better rider... the 09 made me a MUCH better rider.

I haven't talked to Niner again about the clearance issue... I'm kinda waiting to see how the whole thing shakes out.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Underskilled
    You have made me want my WFO even more!!

banned
    Sep 2007
    I guess I can hold on to my v1.1 RIP a bit longer, I haven't blasted into any logs lately. I am, however, confident that the Rhyno Lites with Hadley hubs would stand up to the abuse a bit better than your American Classics.

However.... the stiffness increase of the frame really intrigues me. There's plenty of technical boulders and the like nearby where it would come in handy, as well as shuttle runs up at Mammoth Mountain Ski resort, which is loaded with full on chunk. Probably better suited to a WFO.

I'm kind of partial to the classic lines of my current RIP... the '09 version looks so Giant Trance or Reign'ish in design, not distinguishing like the original RIP.

If I ever come across an '09 RIP frame in Tang Orange, for a great price, my opinion may change, however.
    Last edited by Boyonabyke; 06-12-2009 at 10:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    So I've had mine a while now.

Here's the skinny.

All the first ride impressions have been borne out in spades. This bike is really different to the 07. It's SO much stiffer and as a result it will plow through things the 07 will baulk at.

The two places where this becomes obvious are

(1) Uberchunk rock gardens. These are a hell of a lot of fun on the 09 -- my technique is to blast at them as hard as I can and roll the biggest stuff I can see. The 07 required much more of a 'line picking' mentality.

(2) Jumps/drops. Or rather the landings. The 09 feels like my downhill bike. It simply 'sticks' the landings. WHOOMP. The 07 always felt as if it squirmed on landing. I put this down to flex in the wheels but I was wrong. It was the frame.

That seems completely believable. I do small jumps on my 07 and agree it doesn't feel 100% solid on landings.

I don't run big rings anymore so I don't anticipate many negatives.
    Thanks for the comparison.
    2 wheels

Space Ghost

Too funny

I just posted up a review of my '09 RIP9 and had not read this post. I too have begun to kill my Mavics due to harder riding that the RIP encourages. And someone referenced the "Giant" look of the bike. See my post for the exact comments.
    TNT Sultan vs. '09 RIP9 review (long post)
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Funny.....

- I've been thinking about "how long" my I9's with Arch's will last..... Funny how the softer, old-style frames seemed to soak things up. Now, when the suspension runs out on the
    09' it's the wheels (obviously) that take the abuse because there is NO "give" in the new frame which doesn't bother me any...

- Did I mention the 09's like to FLY and are VERY predictable/steady in the air???

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I rode my 07 again today as I just finished the build for a friend. It was really interesting, especially as I just spent the weekend on a skills camp with the 09 hammering some really technical terrain.

The two takeaways were:

1. The 07 still rides really nicely. It felt like the first time I ever got on it, uber fast and uber smooth.

2. Boy, is it flexy compared to the 09! I was just riding it around the driveway, but I tried an exercise we were doing at the weekend, which was riding a figure 8 as tightly as possible (almost at a standstill). I found this quite easy on the 09 because it was so solid, but the flex on the 07 made it much more of a challenge.

(This was definitely amplified by the old Reba @ 100mm, which is massively less stiff than the new Fox OEM fork).

Dittoing the stable in the air comment... my RIP loves to fly.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Members who have read this thread: 0