Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    "Its All Good"

For you 29er Haters ;)

The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

steep fast and loose :)
    i was a hater - thought it was marketing BS ............. until i properly rode one............................

the waiting is the hardest part

"Its All Good"
    Hear you, the waiting is always the hardest part....

I am all cool if a 29er platform is not for everyone, all I ask is that people ride a 29er platform before dissing them....

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks View Post
    i was a hater - thought it was marketing BS ............. until i properly rode one............................

the waiting is the hardest part
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe View Post
    One of the worst-written articles I have read this year on the web, but still interesting to read comparisons based on extensive riding.

I'll probably look at getting a 2nd Nicolai in 2013 - which one will depend on where I'll be living then - and I'll certainly be trying a 29er out, if there is one for that model. Although it sounds like a lot of people report taking a week or so to get used to the differences.

I don't care about the speed advantage, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I feel it's time to be really honest about something. Seriously, I need to get it off my chest because it's really been bothering me for some time.

The reason I've resisted the idea of 29ers is because I don't think they look as good as 26ers.

There I've said it! Phew that's a load off my mind. Seriously, that's the only reason I can honestly come up with as to why I've never even thrown a leg over one. Sure, in my head I have all the other more pragmatic reasons why I think they're a bad idea; not as maneuverable, higher centre of gravity etc, but deep down I know that they are all unsubstantiated and possibly, by all accounts, entirely wrong. The article by Steve Jones is starting to confirm that suspicion.

It is absolutely ridiculous to say that the primary reason for being against the idea is because of aesthetics. It's ridiculous I know and perhaps riding a decent one would be enough to help overcome that feeling.

Having said that Whafe, I really do like your AM. It is honestly the first 29er that I've looked at and thought 'phowar' I don't care so much for the AC, but the AM is class.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think that's because everything on the am is in proportion. My new 29er ht you would struggle to realise its a 29er because the frame is so big!

geetee - seriously ? how tall / heavy are you ?

i was ULTRA-SUSPICIOUS until I demo'd dippers AC. REVELATION ! technicla climbs are a breeze and corner speed / grip is massively improved.

jumped back on 26" this week, and the nervousness and twitchiness was unsettling in comparison.

i'll be getting rid of the remaining 26" bikes in the near future....

i'm sold on 29", but at 6' tall and just riding technical trails, i suppose it was inevitable......

mtbr member
    The awkward look of a 29er completely disappears when you are on a huge frame. I'm 6'-5" tall and every 26" bike I've ever had looked ridiculous. For us tall guys, it actually brings things into proportion. I have a buddy that rides a small Karate Monkey, and for some strange reason, the big wheels on the small frame actually look bad a$$.

Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    I feel it's time to be really honest about something. Seriously, I need to get it off my chest because it's really been bothering me for some time.

The reason I've resisted the idea of 29ers is because I don't think they look as good as 26ers.

There I've said it! Phew that's a load off my mind. Seriously, that's the only reason I can honestly come up with as to why I've never even thrown a leg over one. Sure, in my head I have all the other more pragmatic reasons why I think they're a bad idea; not as maneuverable, higher centre of gravity etc, but deep down I know that they are all unsubstantiated and possibly, by all accounts, entirely wrong. The article by Steve Jones is starting to confirm that suspicion.

It is absolutely ridiculous to say that the primary reason for being against the idea is because of aesthetics. It's ridiculous I know and perhaps riding a decent one would be enough to help overcome that feeling.

Having said that Whafe, I really do like your AM. It is honestly the first 29er that I've looked at and thought 'phowar' I don't care so much for the AC, but the AM is class.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post

Geetee, the first step to recovery is acknowledgement

Its an appalling article, fraught with issues, lacking in stated assumptions, which I can't be bothered to rant about again. I did that on twitter to Mr Jones.

Geometry, geometry, geometry.... want more stable, sorry, easier to ride fast with less skill, have longer wheelbase (Oh 29er then) etc etc. OR slacker head angle, OR.......there is more than one solution depending on what you like and how you like to ride. Or is the compromise in the middle...more news on that later

Like Whafe I had a Jones for quite a long time and rode it exclusively, including the much publicised Trans Provence race. The geometry on that was what made it such an awesome handling bike, not the fact it had 29" wheels. In fact it had a 26" front wheel with a muther of a fat tyre on it making it a 29er diameter in effect, a fact I pointed out to Mr Jones.

If I rode a trail over and over again on one kind of bike, that I freely admit takes some adjusting too and then switched back to another for a run, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out which one you'd be faster on....

Should you want grip and ability to roll over stuff, fit a 3.8 or 4.0 tyre(s) then you will experience cornering grip!!. Sandman have been testing German:A 100mm forked version of such a fat bike in the alps for a while...so why don't we build full suss versions, well because there are compromises like everything in life, drivetrain, Q factor etc etc..much like geometry.

My Jones Spaceframe took no adjusting to, in technique terms it was the same, just felt like an extension of me like any good bike. Jeff didn't have to make many compromises in geo in designing his bike for what he wanted it to do, e.g chainstay length, a2c etc because his bikes are rigid he has less variables to worry about like suspension travel/seat tube compromises, Head angle change under braking etc, the wheelbase was almost exactly that of a 26' bike, but crucially the trail was such that that stability was added without having to compromise steering response/HA and thus climbing. A short wheelbase allows a lower BB too, think SWB landrover, without compromising ground clearance....there is that compromise again...

The big guys and clued up guys like Whafe etc who have gone custom are getting there too now fork manufacturers are catching up, but there are still compromises, always will be.

Geetee, I like the look of both, and riding both, at least the ones I've owned, with the exception of the Singular Swift which I wasn't keen on, too high and twitchy.

It will be interesting to see if any of the Enduro guys, Fabien Barel, Nico Voullioz, Jerome Clementz, Karim Amour, Mark Weir tackle Trans Provence or the SuperEnduro series in Italy on a 29er next year, more of their sponsors are producing 29 AM bikes now.

So I would quite like the wheelbase of a 26', with the, undoubtedly better, roll over small/medium obstacles of a 29er, the steering speed of a 26" with the stability of a 29er but without having to resort to crazy slack head angles causing climbing compromises..and flopping but also without very steep head angles, usually a result on a 29er of adjusting to the wheelbase...

I am hatching a plan
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    U mad my 29r's be styling on your baby 26r?
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Wafe, you gotta try a 34 on your big bike, got a little ride time recently and was impressed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    U mad my 29r's be styling on your baby 26r?

Good find Whafe, and I can't wait to be on a 29er next season, the hardest part is picking the right frame. And like someone said, 29ers look very well proportioned in the bigger sizes especially. I look like a dork sometimes riding my 26er Transition TransAM 19.5" being 6'4".

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    The orange one looks approximately 100 times better than the blue one. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    The orange one looks approximately 100 times better than the blue one. Just sayin'.

i like the blue on better than the orange....... but my AC 29er is going to be an explosion of colour for me !

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    I disagree. I think the orange one only looks 20 times better than the blue one.

"Its All Good"
    being picky and honest about the colour, the orange looks killer in the flesh, but the fork looks a bit dull to be honest, cant really tell in the photo. But the same pantene colour on aluminum and magnesium doesnt come out the same, trust me on that.....

The blue on the monster truck is awesome, def my favorite....

whafe - what gear ratio's do you run on your 29"ers ?

Stray Bullet
    What trail is that in the second pic?

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama View Post
    What trail is that in the second pic?
    The second picture, the one in the air is at Woodhill MTB Park just north of Auckland, on a jump called AV8R....

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe View Post
    The second picture, the one in the air is at Woodhill MTB Park just north of Auckland, on a jump called AV8R....
    Whoa, I'm lame! I meant the 4th pic, sorry.

whafe - what gear ratio's do you use on the 29"ers ?

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks View Post
    whafe - what gear ratio's do you use on the 29"ers ?
    Sorry slow reply, been away working...

Rear cluster on the Monster Truck is 34 - 11, front sprocket is 32T

Rear cluster on the Tangerine Dream is 36 - 11, front sprocket is 39T

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama View Post
    Whoa, I'm lame! I meant the 4th pic, sorry.
    Cant remember the name of the trail, but it is inland around 1 hour from San D in Ca.... Fantastic trail, I love slow techy stuff like that terrain..

orange bikes inner front ring size ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast