mtbr member
    May 2005

where can i get a helius fr?

I'm replacing my 5 spot w/ push rockers. I really want to try to get my hands on a helius fr, but can't afford one new. Any idea where i can get a used one at a reasonable price? I saw a medium on pinkbike, but i'm thinking i might need a large.

I currently ride a medium 5 spot, it's a little small, but tolerable. Would a medium helius fr work for me?

Anything i should know about the handling? I'm also looking at a turner RFX, intense 6.6, and yeti asx. how do these compare?

Thanks!

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Give Richard @ Gravity Sports a call he might be able to hook you up

http://www.gravity-sports.co.uk
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

steep fast and loose :)
    Do you not fancy a Helius AM ? There's a perfect one for sale at Gravity Sports - Medium, but has a 585mm TT, second hand.
    The AM is more similar to the RFX / 6.6 etc.
    I went AM from my 6 Pack and it's equally as capable, FWIW.
    again, as derek says, try Gravity Sports

mtbr member
    I assume by your user name you're in Colorado? I'd also recomend Gravity Sports as that's where I got mine but we're all based in Scotland so might not be ideal for you however if the import duties aren't too high it might still be viable As Derek and TLR have mentioned Richard usually has something available.
    Having replaced my 5yr old ASX with an FR I can honestly say the FR is leagues ahead. It's a much more modern bike to ride with better suspension design, better build quality and much stiffer rear end. It also looks so much better. If you can get hold of one I highly recomend it.
    How tall are you? I'm 6ft 2" and ride a large but if you're 6ft or under then you'd probably get away with a medium.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by yetiman71
    Having replaced my 5yr old ASX with an FR I can honestly say the FR is leagues ahead. It's a much more modern bike to ride with better suspension design, better build quality and much stiffer rear end. It also looks so much better.
    I like the look of my AS-X but the lateral (side to side) flex in the rear is enough to be irritating when a heavier guy like me puts power on the pedals. A bolt-on hub might help there, though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    thanks for all the quick responses! I am 5'11" and currently ride a medium turner 5 spot, it seems a little small, but i could probably manage with another medium. What size helius would you recommend?

How much travel does the helius AM have?

thanks!

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Biker
    How much travel does the helius AM have?
    Nicolai says:
    130 / 140 / 150 / 160 mm
    http://www.nicolai.net/products/e-fr...helius-am.html

(depends on how you mount the shock)

nicolai travel charts suggest the AM has 167mm of travel with a 200mm x 57mm stroke shock in the top hole
    lets put it this way - the FR and AM are indistinguishable in abilities other than the FR is slacker, slower to turn and more heavily gusseted, if that's your scene

additionally, the AM is a more versatile machine than the FR having 130 / 140 / 150 / 167mm of rear travel option, and when mated to a 36 TALAS offers in my opinion, THE most versatile trail machine currently available.
    mated to the outstanding build quality, ceramic bearings (AM only, not on FR) and the same options list as the FR, other than having a chairlift on your doorsted, i fail to see the attraction of the FR .....
    The AM can be built utterly trail proof at ~ 32lbs without shortcutting strength or ability, whereas the FR really demands a more burly build suiting it's slacker and more gusseted potential capabilities.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Awesome, I'd love one! I just can't find one in the US... I talked w/ the UK contact you guys gave me and it's going to be way too expensive to me to get one of those frames out here! Any other places in the US I can find one? The one on pink bike is gone.

Thanks!

why not invite me over for a holiday and I'll bring one with me
    asssuming of course you're in Boulder, CO.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    haha, would do, but i'm actually in Austin, TX for grad school. I'll be back up there this summer for some time, but I want my frame by the time i'm up there/in moab!

your budget ?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    $1,000 plus or minus a hundred as of now for a used frame.

Members who have read this thread: 0