mtbr member
    May 2006

What are you guy's using for conehead headsets

Looking to see what people recommend for conehead
    Headsets we are stacrting to order frames with that option

Cumbria, England.
    ^^Bump^^

I'd like to know this also. Is it ok to use any mixed cup headset? I'm sure I've read something on here about the conehead and one.point.five head tubes not needing the deep insertion cups? Is this correct?

Cheers, DF.
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The deep insertion requirement for warranty on the head tube of a Nic refers specifically to the lower cup only. Certainly the Reset Racing headset I had factory fitted only has a 22mm lower cup, with the upper one being regular 12mm.

As you point out, it does not apply to the 1.5" or tapered head tubes.

My advice would be to have a 1.5" HT rather than a cone head. I'm not sure I get the benefits of tapered; apparently it's supposed to be lighter but I can't see much evidence of that. A 1.5" HT would give 100% compatibility with any fork and woud also allow you to adjust the geometry in the future should you want to, using the Cane Creek angle cups.

In terms of getting a headset fitted, the Reset Racing ones are lovely but heavier than most others, but you can get them factory fitted, which saves a lot of hassle.

Cumbria, England.
    I'm thinking of a conehead because I've already got a tapered steerer fork.
    I don't think I'd ever use a 1.5 fork on an AC and the weight saving of tapered comes from the smaller, top half of the headset...A Chris King 1.5 Devolution headset weighs over 0.5lb! I've got one on my Intense and it is a big unit. Also you've got a lot more/possibly lighter, stem choice.
    The angle-set is a good idea but they're only good for 1.1/8 steerers.

Cheers, DF.
    Last edited by D45yth; 12-29-2010 at 07:19 AM.

mtbr member
    1.5 as geetee said is by far the most versatile. However, I've ordered a cone head for my ac. The main reason is aesthetic. I think the ac will look a bit odd with a huge coke can up front. I'll also never run 1.5 on this frame. The stems are too heavy and ugly for a start. One thing I didn't think of was the ability to run a flush mount headset which may have been beneficial on my 29er to keep the stack height down.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Good point Dipper - the AC with a 1.5" HT would, indeed does, look very odd. The AM/AFR looks a lot better with it.

mtbr member
    Not seen an AC with cone head in the flesh either so it may well be boggin also. At least I won't be ably see it when riding though
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

Cumbria, England.
    Its a shame Nicolai don't do anodized head badges as part of the extra love package, seeing as the bigger head-tubes don't have the machined 'N'.

'Boggin'- My new word for the day, lol.

mtbr member
    This problem was the longest part of my build. It took me ages to find the correct headset to fit the conehead.
    No one seemed to make one with the right measurements. The problem is, that due to the taper, the lower cup can only have an insert of about 13mm. All 1.5 headsets out there have at least 20mm, including CK, Hope, Reset etc
    AS you can see in this pic the lower insert is tiny !

The only one i found was this syncros AM hardcore headset.

It's not a bad thing though, this headset is really nice, very smooth and has a nice neat finish to it. No idea on longevity though it's only been fitted for a couple of months.
    The only problem I can see is that it only comes in black. so not really for those people who like to make their bikes look like christmas trees.
    Although Hope said they were making one to fit but would not be out for a while. This was back in August/September.

mtbr member
    I've been using a tapered King headset for almost a year now. I had to cut the bottom cup to make it fit. So far no issues to speak of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are you guy's using for conehead headsets-get-attachment.aspx.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    The deep insertion requirement for warranty on the head tube of a Nic refers specifically to the lower cup only. Certainly the Reset Racing headset I had factory fitted only has a 22mm lower cup, with the upper one being regular 12mm.

As you point out, it does not apply to the 1.5" or tapered head tubes.

My advice would be to have a 1.5" HT rather than a cone head. I'm not sure I get the benefits of tapered; apparently it's supposed to be lighter but I can't see much evidence of that. A 1.5" HT would give 100% compatibility with any fork and woud also allow you to adjust the geometry in the future should you want to, using the Cane Creek angle cups.

In terms of getting a headset fitted, the Reset Racing ones are lovely but heavier than most others, but you can get them factory fitted, which saves a lot of hassle.
    Is that right? was wondering as i ordered a Reset racing headset to fit taper forks in my 1.5 headtube, the one they sent was deep insertion bottom cup and a zero stack top cup. Im fine to use that then warranty wise? The fett reducer in at the moment is deep insertion top and bottom.