mtbr member

what model is this?

Saw this bike around town, and I can't seem to find anyone who knows what Nic model this is...

Last edited by syl3; 03-19-2011 at 06:45 PM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Seems to be a Trombone, so the prededessor of the Helius DH.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    WTF?
    Well i'll be damned... this is shady as hell.

I met this guy around town, didn't look like the type of guy that would own a Nic. I asked some questions and he knew nothing about the bike, it was "a gift" apparently.

But why would he tell me to just look on the local craigslist for bike pictures, and then he gives someone else the same pictures with the brand shopped out?

Most likely this bike is a German "import" of some kind...
    Last edited by syl3; 03-20-2011 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If your the good samaritan type you could try and get the frame number and pass it on to Nicolai

mtbr member
    That other post was edited to remove the image... i doubt the bike will leave the garage again until it changes hands.

I'll see if i can get a friend to call and ask like he's interrested to buy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    syl3,

you can find lots of information about the NICOLAI "Trombone" model as well as their patented dual-piston shock in the year 1999 and 2000 catalogs (*.pdf files). Links for catalog download via "RapidShare" are to be found here in the NICOLAI manufacturer forum at mtb-news.de. Last but not least, the "Trombone" was the UCI Downhill World Champion machine of Leigh DONOVAN in 1995 (then labelled as MONGOOSE and not as NICOLAI because of her racing team membership).

Cheers, Wilhelm

Leigh (right), born December 11, 1971 in Orange, CA was a champion mountain bike racer, competing from 1993 to 2001, the most decorated female U.S. downhill and slalom rider (now owning the "Tangerine Clothing Boutique" in Temecula, CA).