mtbr member
    Jun 2007

What bike for the trans rockies

A little bit of background:

A couple of days ago one of my good friends was killed in a climbing accident in france Information. In his memory one of my friends and I are setting up a bursery for students at our old school christs hospital to do fantastic things maybe not on robs scale but never the less.

to help raise money we are going to do the transrockies in 2010, i won't be fit enough and won't be able to afford to do it this year.

What bike would be the best suited? I was thinking a custom helius rc with slightly slacker geometry? I know this is a nicolai forum but feel free to recommend any other frames as well.

many thanks in advance

ian

steep fast and loose :)
    ti hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Is that Christ's Hospital near Horsham?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    it is indeed, do you know it

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well sort of, I live in Horsham so I know the school because of location, and the lady who did our wedding photographs has a son that goes there. Her name is Andrea Sarlo. And of course there was the TV programme.

steep fast and loose :)
    either my Ti 456 , maybe use my Hummer :

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    TLR I was going to ask you which out of those to would you suggest, having owned a gspot, stiffee, and currently a handjob i love coves and always anted a hummer, but then they are really stiff compaired to everything else, do you think the ti45 would be a more comfy choice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm really sorry to hear about your friend!

Depending on how serious you wanna build up an endurance racer and/or take that race in terms of a good finish position, you can build a strong and light Helius CC close to 11kg. Sure, there are CC with 10,x kg out there, but IMO it makes more sense to choose the the RC to start with, if you want to build a full spec racer.

HT vs. fullsuspension:
    Just took a look at the TR-Homepage .. 6 days long. Only you (and your butt) know, if you are up for the challenge.

p.s. relating to "endurance": Couple of days ago I learned about David Goggins. Now that's one tough s.o.b.!
    Last edited by Testmaen; 01-22-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Distributor
    I know people who've ridden it on race hardtails and a couple who rode it on an old (pre-superlight) SC Heckler and a SC Nomad.

By all accounts the most common frame on the event is the Rocky Mountain ETS-X which RM supposedly designed specifically with the event in mind. Either an RC built for endurance or a CC built fairly light would be my recommendation - for all day riding I'd go for the CC geometry rather than the racier RC. Parts wise go for a full shimano build as you're much more likely to be able to get spares en route.

It's meant to be a fair bit easier than the TransAlp - very few carry's was the feedback i got. Sounds great.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

banned
    I would look into sometime like a Curtlo 24 Hour or the equivalent Lapierre, if you want to go with a hardtail that provides some sort of suspension. They both have banana stays to provide a small amount of integrated travel. The upside to Curtlo is they are priced well and custom geo included.
    http://www.curtlo.com/frame_pages/24_hour.html

some more shots in their gallery.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks guys for all the info, this does depend on if i can find a job when i gaduate in 4 weeks as it is quite expensive.

TLR as much as I would like a ti hardtail I just think my arse won't be able to cope haha. the curtlo frames look interesting, and if i go with a nicolai i think i will go with a helius cc, as even though your point is a good one testmean, i think when the race is finished i would prefer the cc.

mtbr member
    I'd say the CC would be the most capable bike from Nicolai's range.
    HT is fine when you aim at the podium.

I've been there in the Rockies, it's like the Alps, after few hours of ridding, you wish you had a dually.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    GOing on my third transalp challenge. first year I used a hardtail.
    after two days I wished I had a fully.
    Last year I did it with a helius RC.
    this year and every subsequent year, I will ride the RC.
    Unless your planning on finishing in the top 10, go fully.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ian what line of work are you looking for? and what will your degree be in? Not promising anything but I think here is the place to ask with lots of like minded people.
    Additionally go for full suspension!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey thanks, think I have definatly decided on a fully. probably an rc with the cc geom.

My degree is in civil engineering from the university of bath. Will to do any work in any part of the country, though given the choice i would ideally like to stay in the bristol area, and the work has to either support me in doing an msc or an ice accredited trianing scheme.

mtbr member
    Ian
    my brother did the trans rockies a couple of years ago. Fairly sure he used his hardtail(although if it was it would be full sus everytime(ideally with an engine!))

Drop me a line and I'll pass on his email address. he'll be happy to give advice.

PS. Your gears all boxed and ready to go

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    cheers dipper, i have posted the cheque so you should get it soon..... just need the frame now

Members who have read this thread: 0