mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Went a bit mad - 2 new Nicolai's :)

Hi All - first post here although I've been lurking during the long wait for my frames

Last Friday, I picked up my 2 new Nicolai bikes - one completely new, one using a bunch of stuff from my old bike.

First, a Helius CC in "stealth camo":

Haven't actually had a chance to ride it in anger yet save for getting the shock & forks set-up to my liking - but the quality of the frame is stunning and I'm really happy with the paint job even though I thought I was being quite brave at the time as I had nothing to compare it to Soon to be seen in various remote parts of the Scottish highlands (and trail centres when I don't have the time) - I'll post some more interesting pics and my first impressions once I get a chance to put it through it's paces properly.

Secondly - an Argon ROCC in "Kobaltblau". Frame, Rohloff & Wheels are new - pretty much everything else came off my old Gary Fisher Big Sur - I'll replace these parts when my bank account is replenished I asked for a non-standard option - rack mounts - on this frame as I'd like the ability to carry gear for multi-day off road trips and Nicolai have done a great job with this, adding some cool little rack mounts onto the dropouts which will keep the rack well away from brake calipers and rohloff gubbins (pics below - anyone else have these?).

I had this out for it's first test ride round my local trails at the weekend and I was VERY impressed. The frame is very stiff indeed, which makes it a pretty harsh ride by any standards, but the level of feedback and how much in control I felt was a big step up from my Fisher. It was a good day to test the Rohloff as it was really muddy and even though it hasn't been run in, it worked well, wasn't too grindy and didn't miss a beat (and was enjoyably quick to clean afterwards ). Coming from a h/t with a carbon rear end, I was initally very aware of the big weight in my back wheel, but after an hour, I was able to flick the bike around nicely and I started enjoying myself.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know the 2 bikes - although it is bloody difficult to choose which one to ride at the moment!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Swello great bike's like the paint job on the cc have fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Swello
    First, a Helius CC in "stealth camo":
    Looks awesome. Did you had a chance to weigh it already ?

Quote Originally Posted by Swello
    Secondly - an Argon ROCC in "Kobaltblau"...... I asked for a non-standard option - rack mounts - on this frame as I'd like the ability to carry gear for multi-day off road trips ..... (pics below - anyone else have these?).
    Looks sweet too! These mounting racks are brand new, at least thats whats the newsletter says.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Love that stealth camo. Very nice build.

What do you think of the DT Swiss shock?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks Guys - It weighs around 27lbs - so fairly light - which is something that I was looking for.

I've not ridden the Helius hard enough to have an opinion on the DT-Swiss yet - I'll report back when I do. How do others find them?

mtbr member
    Swello - sensational looking rigs amigo. Your cc looks like a real trail ripper, and im loving the camo!

Nice to see a Rohloff too.. if I had another bike for my local trails that might be my choice too. Let me know how you get on with it as you put a few miles through it.

I see you got them from Moonglu which means ur UK based.. keep an eye out for the thread on the big Nicolai meet up as it is an open invite.