mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Which way round is your shock?

soooo. as above really. which way round is your shock mounted on your frame? piggyback to the rear or to the fore? apparently having the piggyback (and therefore the heaviest end of the shock), to the rear increases the unsprung weight, having a negligable effect on the suspension.
    is there any truth to this or is it minimal and more an aesthetic thing.
    i ask seeing as the frame was recieved new with the shock mounted with the piggyback to the rear. i'm more inclined to leave it as is as thats how it came from the factory.

your opinions on a postcard to the usual address please

wyrd bi ful rd

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Firstly piggy back front on my AM.

Secondly and I may have to start a new thread interesting what your solution to cable rub/ movement was through the cable guides it looks like you used two zip ties, whereas I used a zip to and contact glue on to cable, as stops to prevent the cable sliding through cable guides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    aye. even after a few days i'm getting huge amounts of cable rub where the cables run through the headtube gusset on the fr.
    a bit of re-routing/helicopter tape/ziptie action seems to be in order.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    1. Piggyback to the rear as it came from the factory; I like it better that way anyway.

2. Second the cable routing issue - I have struggled quite a lot to route the cables on my '07 FR so that they don't rub anything and/or kink and I'm still not totally happy. Probably a dedicated thread is in order.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    I have my shock with the shaft @ the rear, i have no piggy back

Thats a weird one, i've had no problems with cable rub and the cable guides are doing their job really well, apart from the rusty hardware which i have replacements for now!
    Attached Images Attached Images

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    derekr
    And now show us a closeup picture of the cables (between the seat tube and the swing link) with suspension fully compressed

Will do tonight dude, i really havent noticed any problems. If there is would some copter tape not sort it out? I certainly dont have any issues with the cables kinking, but they may rub slightly, who knows but its no biggie if they do is it? The goodrige cables are a bit like a brake hose they can be bent into shape, i wouldnt p1$$ on shimano.

Back to shocks, this is how dipper had the CCDB installed on the AM frame.

You can also see the difference the way the shimano cables sit in the guides compared to the goodrige.
    Attached Images Attached Images

steep fast and loose :)
    Derekr - Your bike looks like an extra from Tron ! Is that cabling neon tube

Agree'd Dont really like the white but funtion over form, i would have got black but CRC dont do it.

Quote Originally Posted by forky
    soooo. as above really. which way round is your shock mounted on your frame? piggyback to the rear or to the fore? apparently having the piggyback (and therefore the heaviest end of the shock), to the rear increases the unsprung weight, having a negligable effect on the suspension.
    is there any truth to this or is it minimal and more an aesthetic thing.
    i ask seeing as the frame was recieved new with the shock mounted with the piggyback to the rear. i'm more inclined to leave it as is as thats how it came from the factory.

your opinions on a postcard to the usual address please
    forky - your shock isn't unsprung mass. it's actually sprung mass.
    additionally, if orientation has neglibible effect on the suspension (which it does) , then why worry ?

derekr - they do better than black : carbon !!!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...&ModelID=23398

mtbr member
    TLR, Yer shock is actually both unsprung and sprung mass. If mounted the correct way with the piggyback facing forward it's the bottom, half the stantion and half the spring of the shock that are unsprung mass where as if you mount it with the piggy back facing the other way most of the shocks weight becomes unsprung mass which affects both the compression and rebound motions of the suspension. The idea is to reduce your unsprung mass as much as possible as this is the weight that must be moved up and down with each bump. Not sure why there fitted the wrong way round and not sure if it makes any noticeable difference either. As long as it's not anodised black you'll be ok!

sdr08 - i can't agree wholly with your post as the 'mass' of an air shock is so negligible that any 'un-sprung' effect could never be interpreted by any rider. possibly determinable using a FEA programme, but never by rider feel.

mtbr member
    TLR, Yeah I can't see the tiny amount of weight making any noticeable difference whatsoever. It must be mounted the wrong way just to be different.

sometimes, it's valuable to mount in an alternate direction to provide access to adjustment levers (propedal, etc).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    hey kiddies. been offline for a bit. thanks for the replies.
    i used big words and confused myself. not negligable NEGLIGENT negative bad etc and yes, i was refering to reducing unsprung mass as has been mentioned. i think at the level i ride it hardly matters but its swapped round now cos it looks better. pure and simple.

damn it's so much fun!