mtbr member

UFO ST Travel and Geo Settings

I tried searching the forum, but the engine must be busted because I can't get a result for "UFO" which seems weird. I tried searching the dowloads on Nicoai.net and using google, with no luck. Thus I am here.

Does anyone have information on what the mounting holes (the four on the swing arm) change the travel/geometry by? I understand that the mounting holes on the downtube will change the BB and HA numbers. I'm just not sure what changes the swingarm mounting options offer. Are there combinations of positions that should not be used?

I just switched from the lowest of the four holes to the one above it. It seems to have firmed the suspension up a bit so I'm guessing that it reduced my travel, but by how much? Interestingly enough, I didn't notice the BB or HA geo changing much.

Thanks

a tight kick sound
    MD, the travel setting I think are 7.9, 7.5, 7.1, and 6.7. This is with a 8.75X 2.5 shock. Changing the travel by moving between travel adjust holes alone should not change geo much at all.
    I am pretty sure that you can use any adjustment imaginable as long as there are no contact issues with the frame anywhere.
    With the shock in the lowest position on the rear swing arm you get the most travel. By putting the shuttle in the lowest holes down on the DT you gain the highest BB height and steepest HA. Moving the mounts forward a hole or two will probably not change your measurements much at all.
    I'm not an engineer so I cannot give a great reason why the travel feels different when you move the shock. I could wave my hands and make all sorts of non-intelligent remarks about leverage ratio, shock accuation and instant center but I just don't know the exact physics behind it, so I will wait for someone who does

You got a pic of that bad boy? Mine is so sad sitting in my garage all taken down I am not actively trying to sell mine hard with the hope I could build it up for a nice FR rig when all is said and done. Money may not permit that though after this summer!

mtbr member
    boone!
    thanks for the 411. anyone else wanna confirm the speculumation?

the firmness is definitely from the change in leverage ratio without changing the spring rate. having 8" of travel to compress a 500lb spring vs having 7" of travel to compress the same 500lb spring will change the amount of force required to fully compress the spring. the lord loves a lever.

trying to get my pixorz up, but the host site is lagging.

a tight kick sound
    Ohh yeah...
    I thought you moved the front mounts and noticed something diff. while keeping travel the same My bad.
    I def had to change the air pressure in my dhx air when changing the travel.

Think you and I are about the only folks riding this bike in the US man (at least that come round these parts)
    Err may be able to help you with the travel numbers though.

'All over it!'
    Boone, can you elaborate on the adjustment for the UFO? I don't really know much about the UFO ST and would like to learn more about the travel adjust and the differing BB heights, what the measurements are and how the bike rides in all travel settings. I had set my heart on a Helius ST, but if the BB height is adjustable, then I may look at the ST.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Both the UFO-ST and the Helius-ST have travel adjustments along with BB height/HT angle adjustments. In both cases the forward shock mount position can be changed to slacken the HTA & lower the BBH or steepen the HTA & raise the BBH. In both cases the rearward shock mount position can be changed to increase or decrease the amount of travel with very little affect on the geometry.

There are numerous possible HTA/BBH combinations depending on the forward shock mount setting, fork A-to-C, and tire size. Typically, the UFO-ST comes out in the high 13" range while the Helius-ST has been recently updated to come in around 14"+.

mtbr member
    err,
    can you confirm the travel settings posted up by boone? the nicolai website only gives the max and min of the travel range, which i can assume are the top and bottom holes on the swing arm.

'All over it!'
    I have looked at the geometry for the UFO ST and think that the large may be a bit on the small size for me at 6ft 4. If the UFO turns out to be the one for me, then I may get the custom geometry and have a frame made a bit larger than the large. I realise that the design of the frame is freeride/downhill orientated, but even so, I think the numbers are too small.

I think I would prefer a top tube of 615-620, then all the other tubes a little larger, essentially creating a UFO in dare I say it an XL size. A TT of 600 will be too small for me, when riding a lads Rocky Mountain RMX in large, it felt too cramped for me to ride. Does anybody know if this can be done? an XL UFO ST?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    mandown -
    I believe the travel settings on the UFO-ST are 165, 175, 185, and 195 mm which equates to 6.49", 6.88", 7.28", and 7.67"

You are correct that they reference the top and bottom holes. If you're going to change the travel settings around a bunch, it's best to have a several springs on hand or an air shock. Since the leverage ratios vary so much and are generally quite low, it's well worth the money to run a CCDB so that you can get the dampening spot-on. Also, of worthwhile note is that you can probably get away with a couple of the travel settings with the same spring using a CCDB as it's safe to run it with up to 5 full turns of pre-load.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    I have looked at the geometry for the UFO ST and think that the large may be a bit on the small size for me at 6ft 4. If the UFO turns out to be the one for me, then I may get the custom geometry and have a frame made a bit larger than the large. I realise that the design of the frame is freeride/downhill orientated, but even so, I think the numbers are too small.

I think I would prefer a top tube of 615-620, then all the other tubes a little larger, essentially creating a UFO in dare I say it an XL size. A TT of 600 will be too small for me, when riding a lads Rocky Mountain RMX in large, it felt too cramped for me to ride. Does anybody know if this can be done? an XL UFO ST?

Yeah, it can be done. Both top tube and seat tube could be extended as needed.

mtbr member
    Err, thanks for the input. I'm considering a Roco Air for the beast, to lighten it up and to allow for use of multiple shock settings. Right now, I just moved from longest travel to 2nd longest, so I'm gonna get comfy with that before I consider moving things around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Think you and I are about the only folks riding this bike in the US man (at least that come round these parts)
    they don't know what they are missing.

'All over it!'
    Err thanks again for your information. I think I need to look at the UFO a little more as it seems the better bet than the ST for what I want.

MD, have you pedaled your UFO on climbs at all? Just wondering what with it being a single pivot, how well it climbs and what is the best BB height for it as I might run a F Mech. Many thanks

mtbr member
    lornibear,

i pedal this beast. i crank the propedal and raise the seat post. it helps that i have a boxxer ride on it to lockout and reduce the travel. it is no XC bike, but it gets me to where i need to go. i have a single 34t front and an 11-34 set in the back. the bike weighs in at about 43lbs. i could drop some with a lighter fork and crank set. i'm even considering an air shock.

nonetheless, it goes forward. it doesn't bob much. if you have the grunt to push the weight, it will get there.