mtbr member
    Sep 2008

UFO ST DHX5 spring weights?

Can somebody point me to a table of recommended spring weights for rider weight? I'm 160 lbs and currently have a 500lb spring, which feels on the stiff side. I am new to DH/FR so I stay away from the big drops (currently working on my confidence at 3 feet...).

Thanks!

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick
    Can somebody point me to a table of recommended spring weights for rider weight? I'm 160 lbs and currently have a 500lb spring, which feels on the stiff side. I am new to DH/FR so I stay away from the big drops (currently working on my confidence at 3 feet...).

Thanks!
    Hi Flick, welcome to the Nicolai forum area....

Odd no one has answered this question. A 5 hundy lb spring seems a little big for a 160lbs rider, is that your weight with riding gear and backpack on if you ride with one?

A good option would be to flick a PM across to an MTBR member Err, he has had a UFO ST and am sure he can help with this question, he is one knowledgeable cat....

Post up a thread with your bike, also if you could complete the build database for Nicolai UFO ST's

Also with owners whom have posted their UFO ST's in the build database may well be able to help you with spring weights....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Drink...sleep
    You can also check out the springrate calculator posted some time ago on mtbr (for a version that works in Firefox as well, see: http://www.theride.ca/guru/spring-calc.htm). Far more accurate I find than the calculators you can find on some mtb suspension sites, like Mojo and TFTuned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the welcome and the replies. That spring calculater puts me at 350# Does that sound reasonable? It sounds like I order them directly from fox, so they'll probably be able to sanity check my decision as well.

I have just torn down the bike to... err.. you know... make it my own. As soon as I get it all back together I'll post some pics! I rode it as it came for a couple of days and loved it, minus the stiff springs.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Flick, 350 sounds about right. Let us know how you get on.

"Its All Good"
    Sweet, you sound sorted. As ryates mentions, let us know how you get on...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Also have a look at:
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area...alculator.html
    and
    http://www.mojo.co.uk/html(mojo)/springcalc.htm

TF (the first link) run their springs softer than Mojo (the second link). Mojo's rationale is that they aim to have the bike 'skip' over smaller stuff in order to carry speed better. If you're a good rider/racer, then there is a lot to be said for this, but you have to remember that you're going to trade some grip and control for speed, which means you need to compensate for the former with excellent bike handling skills.
    Personally, not being an elite level rider, I favour TF's set up.
    The other thing to do is get your DHX Push tuned (www.pushindustries.com) which will mean you have your shock set up for you and your style of riding.

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    Also have a look at:
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area...alculator.html
    and
    http://www.mojo.co.uk/html(mojo)/springcalc.htm

TF (the first link) run their springs softer than Mojo (the second link). Mojo's rationale is that they aim to have the bike 'skip' over smaller stuff in order to carry speed better. If you're a good rider/racer, then there is a lot to be said for this, but you have to remember that you're going to trade some grip and control for speed, which means you need to compensate for the former with excellent bike handling skills.
    Personally, not being an elite level rider, I favour TF's set up.
    The other thing to do is get your DHX Push tuned (www.pushindustries.com) which will mean you have your shock set up for you and your style of riding.
    I always find these calculators a bit inaccurate, as they don't take things like weight distribution and spring preload into account. That's why I find the Mtbr calculator I linked to far more reliable, as it's completely customizable.

I would only recommend pushing your DHX when you've ridden the stock one for a while (with the correct spring rate of course: aim for the sag to be about 1/3 of the stroke as a basis) and then only when you notice things that could be better, shock-performancewise. If you can't indicate what you want changed, they won't know what to tune for, and it won't become a better shock. As the others have said, do let us know how your new spring performs. Good luck .