Thread: Ufo St ?

steep fast and loose :)

Ufo St ?

see no real benefit in going for the ION for my sporadic intended use.
    tell me why I shouldn't consider a UFO ST over an ION ST, thanks

mtbr member
    no reason other than the fact that you won't be happy with it as it's not as pimp or as expensive. If function is all you're after you wouldn't be buying a Nicolai. you'd be buying a Commencal Supreme DH. You're a poser. You know it, I know it, we all know it! Now stop procrastinating and stick your short arms into your deep pockets!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You 2 like each other, don't you.

he's my pimp

nah - seriously - i think the adaptability of the UFO is perfect.
    i'll slap on a set of 40's and enjoy just thrashing about in the local woods and locah DH ttrail[s].

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Get a medium so i can buy it off you when you order your ION
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That's better than comedy here...

But seriously: have a look in that forum thread link to the German forum i posted in the main-thread and see for yourself, if you can justify infront of your poser-conscience to buy a Ufo.

Poor mans Nicolai

/End of thread

agreed with DerekR.

I'll go for the ION.

Thanks chaps

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    As this forums resident suspension bore, I'm surprised you'd want to even entertain using something so unrefined as a single pivot. Next thing you'll be telling us you'll be using a stock RS Vivid on it too....

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! S A R C A S M

LOL how could you possibly consider a cheap ass £1.2k frame!

Single pivot!?!?! i must be too young to remember that

Del

mtbr member
    I've been riding on an Mpire, I have now a UFO ST as a DH bike and seriously, it's so fun.

Much lighter, the bike is a real toy ! Ok it's first intent is not to race a WC run, but local DH as well as summer vacacions in the Alps, it's perfet.

I love mine. I'll consider a Ion ST next year, but I'm not so sure anymore. I have so much plaisir riding the Ufo......

the Ion is a pur DH rig, the ufo is a toy that can play as a real good dhiller or a really good toy for the Alps !

0007 - thanks.
    as i'm not local to the alps, just a couple of big roundish hills in north scotland , i'm thinking it's perhaps overkill going for a DH'esque machine........

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You're asking an interesting question TLR - as you know it's the same question I was asking myself recently and I came pretty close to taking Dipper's FR in exchange for my Ion. I relented in the end because I've now given myself options on the Ion to ride it as more of a local DH bike - it's now got a second lighter wheel set and lighter tyres and a single crown Totem. It can pass undetected as big trail bike so I don't look like 'all the gear no idea' on my local Surrey Hills trails. The bike is still more than worthy of full on DH though.

I think the real question is which bike do you really want, not bike do you 'think' you need or think you can justify.

Need has nothing to do with it. For most of us, any World Cup level DH frame is overkill, even on Fort Bill. There's nothing that a well sorted Helius FR can't handle, either here or in the alps for average Joe riders - unless of course you're competing in the NPS or SDA series and aiming to do well.

If you're happy to accept that premise, then you may as well go for the UFO and still get the fabulous build quality, simplicity, low maintenance, attention to detail, colour choice and option to change certain specs that come with a Nicolai. Otherwise, if your heart really wants the Ion, then get the Ion.

One thing to bear in mind is the cost; even a tailored UFO with Cane Creek or BOS Stoy will still cost less than the Ion without a damper. Alternatively a stock UFO with Fox DHX will give you change to then buy a new RS Boxxer fork.

Then again, given that you already have a tailored Helius FR, i don't think money is so much the issue....!

cash not the issue - i like to extract value....
    fwiw, i took the ti456 out for a thrash tonight - 4 hours on singletrack certainly brings back the stoke, and the HT is keeping it real.....
    best fun on 2 wheels

mtbr member
    God those ST's look good... I have to say that although the most basic Nic design I really think they are the best looking ones ...love em

mtbr member
    Each bike is good, Ion or UFO or Helius ST or probably the new AFR coming next season.

What makes the difference (if you don't think about money ) the geometry !

My UFO ST is a toy, 425 of chain stay. a BB at 365, 66,5° of head angle, it might look like a big bike, but in fact, it's such a small bike, it's a real toy. That's why I love my UFO. I've been riding it on our local trails it's perfect !
    Lots of travel on a bike that can go on a DH run, on a local trail and on a bike park....

just too good !

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 0007
    the new AFR coming next season.
    The what?

Helius AFR - Basically the replacement for the FR with more travel 180 / 200mm, from what I've heard.

mtbr member
    it's gona be a mix of the Helius FR and ST, light weight should be the Fr's and travel of the ST

FR and ST won't be anymore next year

lol - thought this was top secret ! ? !

mtbr member
    Always said that the FR are pretty different bikes - there is 2.5 degrees in their head angles and 2lbs in weight so this new do it all will have to be super special to cover all the bases of the burly slackness of the st and the weight and handling of the FR.

Members who have read this thread: 0