Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

New question here. UFO DS - Travel Settings? Help please!

I recently picked up a 2007 UFO-DS Medium and am building it up with hopes of taking to Snowshoe WV before it closes next week. I saw that the travel is adjustable 3.4 -> 4.5" but am unsure how this is accomplished. The three eyelets on the seatstay of the rear triangle are my only guess. Which gives the most travel? Thanks... I will post pics as soon as it's built fully.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    bottom eyelet = 4.5"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Good job! Awesome!

I've been in love with Nicolai for a while, and this is my first... I'll be using this as a trail/park bike in the short term, and wanted to make sure that I'd get maximum travel out of it. I'm also going to run it single speed... Thoughts on that?

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by audeo03
    m also going to run it single speed... Thoughts on that?
    only with a chain tensioner to account for chain growth during compression.

the ufo-ds is the perfect for the snow shoe park, it's even worthy of a run or two down the dh if you slack the headtube 1 or 2 holes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Good job! Slacked headtube?

Would this require drilling some of the holes wider? The current holes used on the downtube are the only large pair of the 8...

It came with a Romic 200x2.25 and I put a RCS ti-spring on there. Have a Pike 426 up front, and will be trying out some new Code 5s. Haven't ridden trail since I moved from Colorado 8 months ago. Last summer had a 2006 DH-i and a 2006 SX Trail...

Thanks for the feedback!

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Would this require drilling some of the holes wider?
    to slacken the hta just move the forward shock mount one hole closer to the head tube. no need to drill anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

New question here. But...

The hole currently being used on the downtube brace is slightly larger than the other 7 holes. I have access to a drill press... Check out this photo of the '08:

http://www.nicolai.net/imgs/prod/xxl/08-ufo-ds.jpg

Maybe, I'll just run the Pike in it's longest setting... Thanks for all of the help!

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The hole currently being used on the downtube brace is slightly larger than the other 7 holes. I have access to a drill press... Check out this photo of the '08:
    Not sure I understand... All the holes are the same size in diameter and use the same bolt and nut assembly. Are you looking at the bolt and thinking that is the hole maybe its the pain killers from the 4th surgery but I don't see what your referring to.

Here is a pic of my UFO set up in the 115mm back, pike @ 125mm and hta at 67
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What type of riding do you use this for? DS/4x? Or trail?

I will get a photo up so you can see what I mean. All of the holes are the same size EXCEPT the one being used. It is larger to accommidate the shock hardware...like in the links I posted. If you look closely at that blue UFO on the Nicolai site, you will see what I mean!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Photos...

Maybe because it has a Romic... But the shock hardware only fits in the one hole...

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Maybe because it has a Romic... But the shock hardware only fits in the one hole...
    That sucks and is very odd...looks like the powder coating filled in the holes a bit. I would take a ream and clean out the pc.

Just to be safe though, what size bolt is the romic using? Is it a brand new frame or did you buy it second hand? ie would it be possible that an original owner enlarged the hole to accept larger hardware? Do you have a caliper to measure the size of the hole? The bolts that I use are 8mm x 1.25 thread and they fit easily through each of the holes.

mtbr member
    It looks as if the blue frame has all holes that are the same size as your larger hole

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Good job! Hole size

I will check, but I'm pretty sure that the last post is correct. It looks like your blue frame has all the holes the size as the one large one on my yellow frame. The shock hardware takes a 6mm allen which leads me to believe that it is an M8 (8mm) bolt. Therefore, I need to drill press the holes larger, although I am scared to do this. If I take this route I will let the machinist downstairs from my lab do it!

As to the powdercoating filling in the holes, I do not think that is the issue. The difference in hole size is too great. I will take some calipers to it later...

Thanks for all the help though!

a tight kick sound
    Dude!
    Holy g dang. I don't rec drillin that frame.
    You should be able to get the right size inserts for those shock eyelets that will match the correct size bolt for the frame.
    CAO, what size bolts are you using, what is the inner diameter of your eyelet inserts?
    The bolt that goes throught the shock should fit all the holes. Paint will not fill in that much...I don't think.
    Looks to me like someone who had this before had that shock eyelets and didn't want to look for the right size. Instead they whipped out a drill and made the hole bigger to fit what they had instead of doin it right! Yikes...I would be careful about warranty here

Just my .02

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Dude!
    Holy g dang. I don't rec drillin that frame.
    You should be able to get the right size inserts for those shock eyelets that will match the correct size bolt for the frame.
    CAO, what size bolts are you using, what is the inner diameter of your eyelet inserts?
    The bolt that goes throught the shock should fit all the holes. Paint will not fill in that much...I don't think.
    Looks to me like someone who had this before had that shock eyelets and didn't want to look for the right size. Instead they whipped out a drill and made the hole bigger to fit what they had instead of doin it right! Yikes...I would be careful about warranty here

Just my .02
    Good advice, I would equate drilling a Nicolai frame to drilling a hole in my own penis, you just don't want to do that. However, looking at the blue frame I am 99% certain that those holes are larger than on the yellow frame. Look at the space between the holes on each frame.

a tight kick sound
    That is true!
    I would highly...let me rephrase...HIGHLY rec someone get out an accurate measuring device before any drill bits come out Maybe CAO can get out a device?

I do agree with you though, they do look different. Something is up?
    Wonder what model year yours is? CAO, what year is yours?
    Did they stock different size bolts in these things at one time?

You could also send a note to Kalle himself and ask what's up? Am sure he could have you sorted in no time flat!!

Good luck man

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Maybe CAO can get out a device?..............You could also send a note to Kalle himself and ask what's up? Am sure he could have you sorted in no time flat!!
    the holes are 8mm in diameter with a 2mm gap in between each of the holes at the narrowest point. I would certainly shoot a note to Kalle or Ethan at BlackSheep as he took lots of measurements when he got new reducers and hardware for me.

If you decide to go ahead and enlarge the holes your self, I would recommend using a ream/deburring tool to scrape the extra powder coat out of the holes. http://www.deburringtools.com/deburr...thhandles.html
    This will allow you to go slow enough not to get into the metal and make accurate measurements. I would not go at it with a drill or drill press unless you have some extremely accurate bits and brace the gusset from collapsing inward. Go real slow if you do anything cause you wont be able to undo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Holes...

Thanks for all of the responses/concern! I will put my digital calipers to the frame tomorrow, but am also 99% certain that the holes on my '07 DS frame are smaller than on the blue one. The bolt in both ends of the frame are the s ame size and take 6mm allens which mean that they should be M8 bolts which have an OD of 8mm. I work in a physics lab and have access to a full machine shop which has lathes, mills, band-saws, drill presses, etc, and of course deburring tools. If I cannot figure this out tomorrow I will email the contacts that you have given me. Thanks again, and I'll be sure to get photos of the built bike up in a day or two and give my impressions on the ride...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

New question here. Also...check this:

The '08 UFO-DS has the same issue as my '07...

http://www.nicolai.net/imgs/prod/xxl/08-ufo-ds.jpg

There are two larger holes and the rest are small.

I also notice that the yellow '07 also has a pair of useless holes in the gusset nearer to the BB that CAO's blue one doesn't have...

In case I cannot resolve this tomorrow, who should I contact about this and how? Kalle?
    I will take a deburring tool to it tomorrow and hope that a lot of paint comes off the smaller holes. It's possible this is the problem because it was hard to get a 35mm seat-post collar onto the seat-tube...

a tight kick sound
    You could PM Err or contact Nicolai directly.

This seems strange to me? If you make all of the holes on the newer frames larger there
    is gonna be very little space between the holes...weak point???? Scary!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Hole spacing:

My digital calipers say that the small holes are 5.5mm OD with 4.5mm space between each one. 5.5 + 4.5 = 10mm for my frame, where 8.0 + 2.0 = 10mm for CAO's frame. Therefore, drilling them larger is the only solution. Although, I am wondering why they supply the smaller holes. It was a sponsored rider's frame, so maybe it wasn't "finished" properly?

As for the drilling, don't sweat the idea guys. I work at NASA and my group has it's own machinist and machine shop! We have access to CNC, Bridgeport Mills, and a couple of drill presses. This also means that we have EVERY size metric and english drill-bit and tap... I will give her a first ride, and then proceed to drilling if I REALLY want some HTA adjustment.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I will give her a first ride, and then proceed to drilling if I REALLY want some HTA adjustment.
    Let us know how it turns out. It is really amazing the different personalities that this frame takes on at the various settings. I usually flip flop between three frame settings. Good luck with it and enjoy that first ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Good job! Actually...

...my boss suggests that I use a hand-drill and start with the diameter drill-bit that exists now, and work upwards in small increments until I get to 8mm. This will cause the drill-bit to stay centered due to fact that I will not be removing much material each time.

Using the drill press would be difficult to secure the frame do to the size of the platform...

I would like to play with the HTAs while riding...

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ...my boss suggests that I use a hand-drill and start with the diameter drill-bit that exists now, and work upwards in small increments until I get to 8mm.
    Using a hand drill would be the easiest way to do it but probably the high risk of ovalizing or nicking it up. That said, if it were me I would use a step up bit to keep the holes clean and centered, but would still clamp the frame to a bench or table to do all work.

Thanks for giving me something to think about while recovering from surgery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Hmmm...

I think that if I start with a 5.5mm -> 6mm -> 7mm -> 8mm for each hole I'll be fine. They will only wander if they have no reference. In this case they will be almost restricted to holes that Nicolai put in...

It will be built by tomorrow night, and then I will post some photos for you to check out... And after the weekend, hopefully I'll have some pics of it in action!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast