mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Tyre clearance on a CC

I've stumbled on a bit of an issue.

When I had DT5.1d rims on my Nic' I could happily (well they didn't rub or catch) run 2.25" Nobby nics at the back, however since I've fitted the Stans ZTR 355's I can't fit the 2.25's in there any more and now run a 2.1" Racing Ralph.

Having belted down some of the peaks best descents on Saturday - it was always in the back of my mind that the 2.1" tyre is a little small, I run it at 40psi to stop pinch flatting in rocky places.

Is the answer to run the larger rims, or stick a strong yet narrow rear tyre on there like one of them Nobby Nic 2.1" Snake skin thingies?

It's also in the back of my mind to change bikes to something with a bit more rear clearance, but I really can't afford a new AC so a Nic' is probably out of the question

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    steve, that's strange because I have run 2,4 NN's on the back with EX1750's and Flow's. Currently using even bigger 2.4 Conti Rubber Queens with Flow's, with no problems. It is close though. How old is your CC? Mine is 08.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Mine's an '07 frame, pre geo changes on the newer ones.

With a 2.25" Nobby nic on the 355's you get a bit of rub. How wide is a 1750?

I've got no chance on this planet of getting a rubber queen in there

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    steve, might be worth checking if you could fit a new rear triangle? Send Simon at Nicolai UK an e-mail. Alternatively, I might sell my 05 FR XL frame if you are interested? That frame takes fat tyres.