Drink...sleep

Transalp in Ticino, Switzerland on the Nic: (lots of) pics

I thought it time to post some pics of the transalp I did in south Switzerland / Italy two weeks ago.

I did a conversion to ghetto tubeless with the lightest tyre I dared use on my Nic, so it weighed a bit less than a tank .

Me and my dad did a 5 day tour through the southern Alps (well, 4 days actually, as we took one day off, because my left knee was half destroyed, from over-use probably), of course carrying all our stuff on our backs. It was incredibly tough, but fantastic nonetheless. Each day about 1600 hm, usually all in one big go, inclines of over 20%, most of the time starting out on tarmac only to turn into nasty rocky trails near the end when you were already half dead. Especially on day 1 this meant a lot of walking.

We were using a GPS to follow the trail and in forresty sections unfortunately reception wasn't too good, meaning we we took the wrong trails a couple of times, which after discovery usually resulted in dragging and walking your bike to the right trail.

But the views were absolutely spectacular, and the descents were a lot of awesome singletracks. Weather was great except for the last day, where halfway through the route it started to rain like a mofo, with some massive thunder as well. Pretty tough, descending over slippery rocks, 10 meters visibilty because of the mist, rain in your face, thunder above your head... Dang, happy is an understatement when we finally reached the hotel. Nonetheless, a great experience and definitely something to do again next year. My dad might even get a Helius CC for next time

Day 1, one tough climb:

We thought the radio tower would be the top, turned out we still had some way to go after that:

Going down:

Day 2 was slightly less cool, with lots of forest, bastardly hornets, mosquito's, and not a lot of nice views:

Enormously steep 'Schlucht', where you had to carry the bike all the way up:

And that was pretty hard work, to say the least:

Day 4. Because of my shitty knee (could hardly walk after day 2), we took day 3 off, and took the tiny mountaintrain up on day 4 instead of going on our own strength:

Took a wrong turn somewhere, bike dragging time :

Day 5, started well, knee held it on the big climb, but massive rain after I took the last pic:

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    great shots!

looks like some awesome riding.... I gotta drag myself down there...

a tight kick sound
    OMG, So friggin beautiful.
    Looks like a wonderful trip.
    thanks for sharin'!!

"Its All Good"
    Sweet thread, awesome pictures... Man alive some of those shots are stunning, me have envy... Glad that mostly your knee held up ok.. Cool thing to do with your dad bro, awesome stuff....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

wyrd bi ful rd
    great pictures there ... i need to get away ...

cheers for posting ...

mtbr member
    Excellent pictures Bozzz. I love trails like that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    that's some scary cow appearing out of nowhere

mtbr member
    Great pictures which I keep coming back to look at again and again .
    Looks and sounds like a great trip, very jealous

Mountain bikes are great, but where we take them and what we do with them is the reason I love mountain biking.

banned
    Man, that's amazing. We're looking to head out there sometime soon, exact region unknown. That terrain reminds me of back home, which I sadly miss way too much, including all the bad around it.

So how are the descents?

Drink...sleep
    Thanks guys, all I can say is if you have the time, you gotta do something like this. Makes you climb up the hills faster when you know you absolutely have to reach the next hotel by nightfall

The descents ranged from f'ing technical singletrack (lots of huge rocks, on the side of a very steep cliff; walked some of that), slightly less technical and more rideable singletrack (rocky high up in the mountains, but also more sandy and very rooty in forests), to laid back Alp meadows, steep fire road (and old Roman super bumpy road) and some Asphalt as well. Unfortunately when going down, you don't stop as often to make a photo . But the pics of the last day, that was some monstrously cool singletrack. Too bad the weather sucked that day, otherwise there would have been some magnificent views.

banned
    Love how they trick you with the radio towers out here.

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Love how they trick you with the radio towers out here.
    Yes, those bastards.

Just noticed the right side bearing of my BB had completely seized up. That explains why the uphills were so tough . Gotta love the quality of outboard bearings.

wyrd bi ful rd
    the thing with parts breaking down is ... you get to change them for new ones! ... ...

'All over it!'
    Nice pics Daan, that place is so damned beautiful. As Whafe said, it must be truely special to do something like that with your dad. Congrats to you both

mtbr member
    Daan

Some great photo's you got there.
    I knew you where looking forwards to the trip when we did the Dorking ride. Was as good as you thought it would be ?
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

Drink...sleep
    It was definitely as good as I thought it was going to be, but way, way tougher than I thought it was going to be as well. Especially when we lost the trail after a very long and steep climb on day 2 in the middle of a mosquito filled forest, because the GPS gave up. We tried 3 murderously steep trails from an intersection we reached, all of them eventually a dead end. We were completely lost and wasted and low on morale by then, plus it was already getting dark, so we decided to go back to where we came from and just follow the road. So we went down this f'ing steep trail again, and when we were almost at the foot of the hill, we met this guy who knew where we had to go: all the way up again, and up the one trail on the intersection we didn't try. Quite a miracle and quite lucky we met someone there though, as following the road would have been a huge detour. Stuff like this does make for a good story afterwards

But apart from that, you do get used to doing massive climbs quite quickly, so the one on the last day was a lot easier than the one on the first (although the climb on the first day was a quite a bit steeper).

Alex, how's your knee doing? Are you still planning on organising that trip to a trail centre in Scotland or Wales? Because that would be awesome!