Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    'All over it!'

Totem or RC3 for 08 FR

My FR is going away this week to be sprayed and the Lyriks are being serviced and put on Mrs Lornibear's Yeti 575. This leaves me in the market for some new forks.

I have been offered a good deal on a set of 08 Maz 66 RC3, whilst my other option would be the totem. Both forks work out at the same price but I really am drawn to the RC3. I have spokent to my LBS who say if there are any problems with the RC3, they can get them turned around in a week, with no shipping charges, which is kind of reassuring.

Next, does anybody know the difference in A - C length of both these forks? Would there be any problems in running the Maz on the FR?

Many thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Tough choice Lorni and I only have experience of the Totems on my Helius so can't compare the two. A2C of the Totem is 565mm http://sram.com/_media/techdocs/2007...0Standards.pdf

A2C of the 66's is pretty much identical at 564mm
    http://marzocchi.com/Template/listSP...LN=UK&Sito=mtb

I reckon the will be very similar in performance. Both appear to be similar in weight and both are coil so it's down to personal preference in the end.

'All over it!'
    Many thanks yetiman, I have also posted a thread on the shocks and suspension forum questioning the Mazocchi weights. Any idea how the 09 66 RC3 is 261g?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yetiman71
    Tough choice Lorni and I only have experience of the Totems on my Helius so can't compare the two. A2C of the Totem is 565mm http://sram.com/_media/techdocs/2007...0Standards.pdf

A2C of the 66's is pretty much identical at 564mm
    http://marzocchi.com/Template/listSP...LN=UK&Sito=mtb

I reckon the will be very similar in performance. Both appear to be similar in weight and both are coil so it's down to personal preference in the end.
    I would dispute the idea that based on A2C, similar springing methods, and similar travel that they will be similar in performance.

For one, Zokes allow tuning of bottom out through oil height, while on the other hand, the Totem has the Floodgate between the LSC and HSC and has nothing beyond to adjust for BO control. I've also noted on the RS forks, while great performers, have that narrow range of tuning at a particular damper setting, so the settings seem to effectively cover less range than Zoke or Fox with shim stacks.

'All over it!'
    Hey JC, thanks for the reply. It all seems a bit of a faff having to alter oil levels to adjust bottom out. I rely on my LBS for all my major maintenance, as my mechanical know how is non existant. Out of the two forks, which one would better suit a rider of 230lb for general hard trail and bike park use?

banned
    I don't know, it depends on the usage. It's really not bad to adjust oil levels and know you have a really nice bath of tons of oil inside the fork keeping everything slick and wear free. The only outstanding issue is if Zoke cured their manufacturing issues from 08. If so, then they'll be a welcome competitor (although I'm not so hot about pricing).

I would think the 66 would be nice, but you gotta ask to Totem folks who would use that particular spring for your weight what they feel, and just simply quantify the drops and stuff.

Castron BTT Crew
    Jan 2006
    Since the issue of the broken Mz 55 ATA/TST (all (all) of them, BTW) in Spain, I must reccomend another brand than Mz. They're doing things so bad that none of us should buy a Mz fork for the next two or three years...
    Totem's great fork, but you will need 2 or 3 rides for "getting it", It's so stiff that your shoulders and wrists will complain a bit in the tecnhical sections the first days. Then, it's only "aim and shot". Without ask first.

'All over it!'
    Agreed, the 66 does look nice albiet a little heavy. I just don't want the hastle that others seemed to have gone through with the Marzocchi. I think that the Totem will be the fork of choice for me with an x firm spring. If it feels as nice as the Lyrik I have been using for the last two years, I will be a very happy man.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I cant talk about performance of the RC3. But i did spend a short period on a 66 rc2x which is supposed to be like their best single crown to date, and i wasnt to keen on it. It felt really average. More "mush" than a plush stroke (I know that sounds pathetic:P). I have tried the Totem and i loved it. Great smooth stroke and very controlled. If I were in your position id go for the Totem with stiffer springs.
    My ride impressions of both forks arent well described, but I found the Totem to be a far better fork. Best to try them out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Totem

I havent a nicolai( want a helius fr) but i have just fitted new 2009 totem coils to my bike and they are excellent.I have only ridden them for about 7 hrs and they are very plush.They seem very well made and are incredibly stiff( 1 1/8).I had lyric 2 step airs which i had no problems with but didnt like the lack of small bump response and the spongy feel of the air so i decided to move to coils and 180mm travel.They are a bit heavier but are a lot bigger and stiffer and for the type of riding i do they are excellent, they are a little bit sticky at the moment but are getting better with each ride.I havent played with the compression side of the damper yet but i will once they are bedded in.

'All over it!'
    Great news, thanks for the reply norcosam. Would love to hear a full review once you have given those totems a damned good thrashing. I had the lyrik coils prior and they were a fantastic fork, but for the majority of the riding I do, I don't need the travel adjust, in fact I don't think I have ever used it on the FR.
    The 180mm totem will lift the front end very slightly, but I think they are going to transform my bike and hopefully my riding. Mated with the CCdb on the rear, I think I am going to be a happy man.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

totem

Hi lornibear,

I never used the 2-step on my my lyriks so went for a coil sprung totem.The 2009 totem coil has no travel adjust on it.I have them on my norco six (Older one without the melted tubes look) which has a quite laid back position when riding and a reasonably slack head angle.IT rides smoother than the lyriks already and i would imagine they will take a good 30 hrs to bed in properly.Its twinned with a dhx5 coil on the back which balances it out.CCDB sounds good have never tried a cane creek and one day will have to try one.

mtbr member
    And let's not forget that the Totem looks the dogs bolx on the Helius FR. Shameless photo opportunity

'All over it!'
    Nice ride there Yetiman, as always.......just out of interest, how many mm in spacers do you have under your stem?

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Sweet ride yetiman, but are you sure your from Abergloom that looks awfuly like sunshine in that photo!!!!

mtbr member
    Yo bro.........now you know that I run the totem so will be biased but the 08 MArz were a bit of a disaster for Marz... just like the 07 totem was for RS. Go for the mature product in its second year.. either the 09 Marz or the 08/09 totem...

The coil totem consistently gets good reviews.

How much are you being offered the 08 marz for!

'All over it!'
    The marz has been offered for 550 and I can get the 09' totem online at Winstanleys for 560, so there is not a lot in it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    They are excellent prices my lbs couldnt even get close to that price on my totems,so i went elsewhere for them.

'All over it!'
    The totems were from the online shop. The marz are from the LBS, I am pretty much certain I am going to opt for the totems. The marz just seem a more problematic for my liking, even if the shop is five minutes drive from home. I like a fork that I can just get on and go, as I did my lyriks. I hope that Mrs Lornibear gets as much reliability as I did with them.

mtbr member
    Lorni... is yours a 1.5 fr?

If so grab these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=30375

type Winstanleys review into google before you buy from them.. not sure what they are like now but they did have a bad rep in the past.

'All over it!'
    Unfortunatly not, it's the 11/8. But thanks for the info, I will check them out first. I must admit, it seems a bit strange as CRC are normally the cheapest around, so how can Winstanleys under cut them by nearly 100?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I don't if this helps you, but id you don't mind ordering from the states, JensonUSA has the 08 66 RC3 on sale for 364 (575USD), and according to their site, shipping to UK is 25 (40USD). Not sure if you would get stuck paying taxes and import fees though....

Anyway, Ive been riding an RC3 for about 6 months now, and have had no issues with it. Absolutely wonderful fork! I think you will be happy with either fork.

Drink...sleep
    Not all bad with Winstanleys. When I was still in Cambridge I ordered a Rockshox Argyle for my DJ bike (because they were so cheap there). Arrived within 2 days, even though their website said it was not in stock.

I wouldn't go for the Zocchi, simply because those cheap bastards sold out with moving all their production to China. Riding a Marzocchi, made by Suntour, muha . Plus, the 66 is one heavy bastard.

'All over it!'
    Thanks for the information there MattP. I have seen some of the deals at Jenson and have seriously considered them. However the last few weeks have put the pound in a precarious postition against the dollar, but saying that, 364 is a considerable reduction on RRP in UK.
    It's all a minefield, at least if I chose the Maz from my LBS, it's only a short trip to get them sent off for repair. I think I will leave it a few weeks and procrastinate until my decision becomes an impule purchase.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My totem coils are started to free up now (9hrs) been out this evening and done my favourite rocky descent and they smoothed it a treat.Better than my lyriks(air).I only have one gripe with the totem and thats when i checked the speed lube oil earlier one side had 20ml and the other only had about 5ml.Just brought a ti spring for the dhx as well and it seems to feel smoother at the back aswell.I am also thinking about formula the ones for my new brakes,200 front and 180 rear sounds good.The idea is to get all good stuff and then buy a nicolai helius fr frame and transfer all the items over to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast