mtbr member
    May 2011

Is there a market for Nicolai in the US?

Do you guys think that Nicolai can compete in the US? If not, why?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    they have turner bikes in the us

mtbr member
    I would hope so, Nicolai was on my short list for a new frame but the difficulties of distance were a little daunting for me. I was concerned of getting exactly what I wanted, warranty issues, spare parts, etc...when ordering a custom frame from an overseas producer without a US point of contact. If the US has an authorized dealer, I would have defiantly demo'ed and most likely ordered a Helius AC. Instead, I got a Turner 5-Spot...I would still like to ride a Helius AC...they are beautiful bikes, the welds look amazing, unreal custom coloring, 5 year warranty which is unheard of anymore, and never heard a negative comment about them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for your reply, jjkitt. Can you justify the cost of a Nicolai (approx $2.7k for a Helius AM) to yourself or is there something about a Nicolai that transcends the cost...especially when there are many carbon frames in the same price...?

mtbr member
    nikos7
    I have a Turner 5-Spot, so costs are comparable. It might also be argued with US's economy of scale price could fall slightly with increased sales (but that is entirely different thread).
    I cannot speak for all Turner owners, but the thing that attracted me to Turner is the tangible craftsmanship, attention to detail, custom finish options, outstanding customer service and I can pick up the phone and actual call and talk to Dave Turner (I have by the way).
    I see many of those qualities in Nicolai, obviously picking up the phone and speaking with Nicolai is one of reasons I choose Turner. Oh, I’m also not a big fan of carbon (just me though).

Cheers,

"Its All Good"
    It is not so much can Nicolai compete in the US of A to me, it is if there are those customers whom wish to experience all that goes with a Nicolai frame...

Jjkitt explains it well re Turner. Owning the Turner is an experience of which includes all that is listed by Jjkitt and more points for some am sure..

I am on my 6th Nicolai frame and have never been able to test ride one etc. However this has never stopped me making a purchase and I live in New Zealand. I could say somewhat further from Germany than the US of A, but yes both countries are a ways away..

If you are a discerning customer who knows what you want, want extremely great quality and attention to detail with a frame and the ethos of Nicolai is up your alley, sure Nicolai can compete in the USA.....

In my opinion they need to slotted in with custom frames etc..... I have spoken directly with each and every Nicolai frame I have purchased, all of which are pretty much custom.... The warranty alone in my opinion should help customers feel that much more secure with a purchase....

Just a few of my thoughts anyways....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Awesome replies...I agree, I am not into carbon fiber either. Whafe, could you please explain what is custom on the Nicolai? What do you mean that they need to be slotted in with custom frames?

Thanks

"Its All Good"
    nikos7 - when I say slotted, I mean for me Nicolai as a manufacturer cannot be compared to say Trek, Giant etc etc, they are more like a custom builder....

You cannot really purchase a Nicolai frame from stock, each frame is made to order..... So having custom changes made to your frame is very easy...

I had 4 26 inch wheel Nicolai frames, then wanted them to build me a Trail Full Suspension 29er. They did this for me:

I then wanted a FR / AM type full suspension 29er, which I helped design with Nicolai, they built it for me...

The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Ncig on here is an American dealer/importer. Not seen him post for a while but maybe who dropping him a line
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

"Its All Good"
    If you cannot get in touch with ncig, step out of your comfort zone and contact Nicolai direct.... Go to nicolai.net and contact details are there.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Whafe of all the 29er bikes I've seen, your monster truck is the one that makes me want to have one the most!

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    Whafe of all the 29er bikes I've seen, your monster truck is the one that makes me want to have one the most!
    Thanks dude. Yep call me biased, yes it is my bike... But seriously, it is the most fun bike I have ridden. Absolutely love it... Wish more people could experience it, if that makes sense...

However with the advent of the 650b, progression of long travel 29ers will cease....

An honest fact, when the Monster Truck is on the rack on the roof, it looks stunning, it is a hawt angle of it....

Anyways, am looking forward to 10 days riding based in Whistler with the Monster Truck, roll on September 5th

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Whafe, your bike looks awesome. Definitely makes me want a Nicolai too. I wonder why there is no authorized distributor in the USA? It appears they have distributors all over Europe and Asia according to their website.... I am planning on going to Interbike Las Vegas in September to demo as many high-end brands as I can. Sure would be nice to ride a Nicolai in the same venue...

mtbr member
    nikos7,

I wonder if Nicolai's use of the Horst Link plays a part of Nicolai's absence in the USA? Specialized holds the US patent and seriously pursues brands that infringe upon said patent. From my understanding, it is not recognized in Europe hence its use? (Maybe I am wrong) Would be an interesting to know, anyone more educated on the subject please chime in.

Nikos7 have fun at Interbike...bring some knee pads for Bootleg canyon!

Cheers,

local trails rider
    A number of European brands are staying out of USA because Specialized or Intense managed to patent some pivot locations or rotation directions there.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

"Its All Good"
    Good point on the Speci Patents etc...

I know this is not the reason for not having a US of A distributor...

As said yesterday ncig has a good stock of spares etc...

My thoughts on not having a US of A distributor are the fact that each frame is made to order, so it is more like a custom manufacturer. So not so much about stocking frames and selling them... Far more attention to detail... I mean look at the frame line up, what would you stock?

I am sure the currency exchange rates play a part also...

As I have said, I have no issue in recommending dealing directly with Nicolai from the US of A.... I have done it loads of times for my frames, have had no issues at all.... Ensure you purchase a spare der hanger when you order and good to go... I have had a spare der hanger for some 5 + years.... Have 3 Nicolai bikes at present, and have had 3 before these and never had an issue with the frame etc.....

It does mean no test ride.... Welcome to come to NZ and test ride some Nicolai's..... You could test ride a ION 18, Helius FR, FMXTB, Helius AC 29 x 2 and the Monster Truck (Helius AM 29er)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I agree with Whafe...it's not an issue of special patents...however, what is the function of distributors in other parts of Europe and Asia? Do they stock frames? How about Nicolai UK?

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by nikos7 View Post
    I agree with Whafe...it's not an issue of special patents...however, what is the function of distributors in other parts of Europe and Asia? Do they stock frames? How about Nicolai UK?
    nikos7, am 99.9% sure no one really stocks Nicolai frames. Perhaps the odd shop may have say a large Helius AC or Helius AM perhaps, maybe a few shops in Germany may stock an ION 20...

dipper, would be good to talk to. He can hook you up for sure with a Nicolai frame...

Simon from Nicolai Uk posts on here quite a bit too...

Or again, email Nicolai and ask them if any shops have any frames in stock. They will know...

Which frame were you pondering?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi guy been really busy so haven't been around forum. To answer a couple of question some of you had. There is a market in the US FOR NICOLAI I have sold a ton of them. They are a very special bike workman ship is compared to not to many companies the only thing that make it hard in the US is the exchange rate which hasn't been to bad I really don't stock alot of frames because there are so many options to the frames that can be ordered. So that why there not alot to frames to demo but I can tell you this every frame I have sold customer has been very happy. If any of you guy in the US have any question just shoot me a PM or call me 781-864-6327.

"Its All Good"
    Awesome stuff, thanks ncig for chiming in...

Have not seen you around much of late, loads of riding for summer in your hawt terrain...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for everybody's replies...can anyone recommend Trail/AM 150-160mm travel bikes that I should demo at Interbike that are comparable to Nicolai? Turner has already been mentioned...

mtbr member
    nikos7,

In addition to Turner I would recommend keeping an eye out for:

-Foes Shaver Foes Shaver - Foes Racing's All-New Trail Bike | Foes Racing USA
    -Intense Tracer 2 Bike Test: The Intense Tracer 2 | News | mountain-bike-action
    -Interse Tracer 275 Intense Tracer 275 650b | Mountain Bike Review
    -Ventana Zeus Zeus | Ventana Mountain Bikes USA
    -Ventana El Ciclon El Ciclón | Ventana Mountain Bikes USA

All these US based companies are as close to Nicolai in regards to quality, having in house fabrication, and will do anything from custom colors, tubing, and drop-outs to name a few. Look at their respective chat rooms...they produce quality products, are well respected, and have a loyal following. My personal bias would be to check out Foes' Shaver first...looks like a great bike...they are known to last forever...but so do Intense and Ventana.

Have fun a Interbike.
    Cheers,

"Its All Good"
    jjkitt, I cannot agree with you on the build quality of Intense, love there bikes. But have to be honest the build quality on my Intense Uzzi VPX was appalling... Not saying all there bikes would be that way...

Ventana make really nice bikes, great company.... Foes also make some nice kit, strong as can be....

Then there is Nicolai, at another level again

mtbr member
    Whafe,

I have never owned an Intense and I heard a few rumblings of discontent similar to yours...so nikos7 and I will have to take your word on it. Unfortunately I don't think Nicolai will be at Interbike for nikos7 to check out...if they were I would be right behind him with a stiffy in my shorts jones'in to throw a leg over one of their models.

Whafe, your previous offer to demo one of your bikes in NZ is most tempting...always wanted to visit your country...the offer for the ride make it worth the ticket alone.

Thanks for your input on Intense.

Cheers,

"Its All Good"
    I always would so love to test ride models before a purchase, guess being down under int he might New Zealand, access to all the awesome kit is not as plentiful as in the US of A... So I had to in the end get used to going blind with something. Assessinig the geo etc etc and pulling the trigger....

In saying that, I have ridden my Nicolai's in your country many times, the terrain rocks, whether it is Moab, Fruita, Sedona, Tahoe, Pheonix, San D, Ventura, Santa B, Boston, North of Boston, St Louis area... Had a blast in all those areas...

Anyway, the offer is there if you came to NZ, so long as you are not an axe murderer, its all good... As I mentioned, have a good selection of Nicolai's here.... Or head to Whistler on September 5th, will be 3 Nicolais there for the week....

Or maybe ncig could send you a frame to demo....