mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Is there a black Lyrik coil u-turn (115-160mm) suitable for tapered headtubes?

It seems that we can't find the 2010 Lyrik standard u-turn (black) suitable for conehead. Although in the official website rockshox includes a tapered version in the specifications of the fork, we weren't able (my LBS) to order one. Their rockshox catalogue only lists the specific fork in the usual 1 1/8" version. We also called them and they reconfirm their catalogue over their website specs.

I would really like to go for that fork because of the black colour (that's why the new white Lyrik DH u-turn is not an option) and adjustability (that's why Fox's Van 36 is also not an option). I have already ruled out any air options since the weight penalty is minimal and the Lyrik is even more adjustable than the Talas; I assume it will also be much better as a coil fork.

Any ideas or knowledge on this incongruity between their 2010 catalogue and their website? Why would rockshox list a tapered version in their website if not actually producing it?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hmm, weird. Couldn't find one either in 3 big German online shops. Thought it would be like Fox forks, where you could have every standard with any model.

Just one quick thought about adjustibility one coil Lyrik's: they don't have the possibility to preload the spring, like Fox's 32 and 36 coil models. So if you really want to hit that one spot you're wanting for the sag, you won't be finding it or have to really fiddle with different fork oils.

I think you mentioned also the Helius AC in another thread, so I would guess you look for a light, adjustable bike, which is rather possible with air units than coils, due to the fact, that air pressure much more faster and easily changed than coil springs.

I don't wanna put you off coil forks+shocks, not at all, but just something to think about.

The solo-air Lyrik with DH damping is supposed to very good, as it was already written here. I read that on other forums too. Problem is, no travel adjustment, which on a 160mm travel frame is a useful thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Testmaen,
    No the fork is for the AM (already ordered ) not the AC and yes adjustability should be really important for a bike like this, but colour is of equal importance since I really like the combination with the black rear triange and the black stickers.
    I really am very confused about the fork I will have to choose and although I thought that I had found the solution with the standard black Lyrik (listed as tapered in website) and that's why I customed the conehead. This, it now seems, was a big mistake
    At the end of the day will go for the Van 36 (supposing it is much better than the Talas, which I am not sure about).

mtbr member
    Black/White, Air/Spring........for me the most important feature of a fork for the AM was travel adjust.

I wouldn't be without it.

Cant really see the point of the cone head TBH.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I only mentioned the AC, because it was mentioned in the other thread, because you said, you wanted a light, nimble bike.

Why do you want a conehead steerer ? IMO it doesn't look good and the "advantage" is unclear, at least for me. Ok, aesthetics aren't an objective reason for not buying something, but on something that expensive, the looks IMO have to be harmonius too. Also, if you want the Lyrik, why not just chosse the standard 1 1/8 model ?

Not critizing your choice/ideas at all, just wanna throw in some suggestions, that you can rock those Greek trails good without any regrets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    From what i can see black is 1 1/8 and white is 1.5" in the uk, coil u-turn. white only for dh mission control 170mm in solo air or coil.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Why conehead?
    Well I wasn't sure about this either but since I did have the option I decided, why not? Everyone seems to promote conehead headtubes nowadays so I figured every fork will be available tapered (I guess I was wrong, at least for the moment). Also, from my LBS they all encouraged me to go for the conehead option and apparently there is a general agreement about the extra toughness it offers (arguably there are some other advantages too). I like its looks as well.
    Anyway, I have placed the order so I suppose I can't do anything about that now.

rpm100 I will also go the CCDB way so wouldn't be good to have a coil fork as well? Otherwise the Talas would be a serious candidate, although I 've never tried a coil combination before and it seems it's worth the extra weight.

Testmaen Is it possible to still go for the standard 1 1/8 model with a conehead headtube? Are there any adapters which I am not aware of?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yes you can still use a 1 1/8 fork in a Conehead steerer. Just need a spacer to reduce to width of the lower headset cup.

I guess you could still change you order. If I'm not mistaken you ordered it just a couple of days ago, so your frame won't be welded for some time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Tough decision, I really like the conehead idea (mostly aesthetically since I don't have any experience on the subject, and I suspect even those who have can't really tell the difference).
    But if it is possible to adapt the steerer with a spacer without loosing any of the concept's theoretical advantages and adding some serious weight, then problem solved
    Thanks for the immediate help Testmaen

mtbr member
    I'm sure you can get a lower adapter. The cone head is being championed by the industry because it helps sell forks and frames! It's not needed on the AM but ho hum your choice, will sure be interesting to see it.

Talas + CCDB will work well. I run a 2010 DHX air 5, and whilst it doesn't offer the range of adjustment that the DB does, it does win over weight and virtually instant sag adjustment, which makes it quick and easy to play with the AM's rear travel.

For me having a fork I can drop down is simply brilliant. It makes climbing the very steep, much easier.

"Its All Good"
    I should be getting my Lyric in black 1.5 HT today or tomorrow, will let you know...

I see no advantage with a tappered head tube, it is all BS I feel, companies jsut trying to search for a difference.... The 1.5 HT asthetically looks very good, masculine...

Plan is to use the Black Lyric which is air, then converting to a coil.... Had to get an air as here the Coil Lyric is white....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Wouldnt have anything other than 1.5! I find the conehead thing retarded and best left to trek/specialized and the like.
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products