mtbr member

Tank Girl Camo Helius AC

All I can say is that this is one that was worth the wait! I had debated about going with the first ever Tank Girl Dizzy Camo, but in the end decided the 'edgy pink look' just didn't have the POW! that a true Tank Girl Camo would. One of these days, I need a decent camera to do justice. As usual the build quality is perfect, and the welds are to drool for... Here are some snapshots I took:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tank Girl Camo Helius AC-nicolai-2-005cb.jpg  

Tank Girl Camo Helius AC-nicolai-2-010cb.jpg  

Tank Girl Camo Helius AC-nicolai-2-011cb.jpg  

Tank Girl Camo Helius AC-nicolai-3-007cb.jpg  

Tank Girl Camo Helius AC-nicolai-3-004cb.jpg  

Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

"El Whatever"
    You'll love it, bro!!!!

I know, I love mine!

That's a gorgeous bike from any angle you see it. The paint job came stunning.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Here you see the happy new owner, unpacking and unwrapping. Having a bit of difficulty at first. Then admiring the welds, which I commented that they were so drool worthy they were good enough to lick...lol!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tank Girl Camo Helius AC-tank-girl-camo-nicolai-002-laughing-b.jpg  

Tank Girl Camo Helius AC-tank-girl-camo-nicolai-004-hugging-b.jpg  

Tank Girl Camo Helius AC-tank-girl-camo-nicolai-017-unwrapping3-b.jpg  

Tank Girl Camo Helius AC-tank-girl-camo-nicolai-014-licking-welds-b.jpg  

mtbr member
    Finally unpacked! Time to enjoy with our favorite wine: Purple Cow. Which happens to match the Nicolai quite well!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tank Girl Camo Helius AC-tank-girl-camo-nicolai-026-done-pose-b.jpg  

Tank Girl Camo Helius AC-tank-girl-camo-nicolai-028-done1-b.jpg  

Tank Girl Camo Helius AC-tank-girl-camo-nicolai-029-done-admire-b.jpg  

Tank Girl Camo Helius AC-tank-girl-camo-nicolai-041-purple-cow-b.jpg  

mtbr member
    Alas not mine
    SHE loves it though, which is more important

Distributor
    Nice...

Did it come from the factory with the shock fitted in that position? The top hole should be blanked off with the shock fitted in the second hole. You might be ok to run it like that but check that there is no collision at full travel.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai-uk
    Nice...

Did it come from the factory with the shock fitted in that position? The top hole should be blanked off with the shock fitted in the second hole. You might be ok to run it like that but check that there is no collision at full travel.
    Yes, factory like that. That is the new 2011 Monarch, which arrived the day before shipping. Not sure if stroke is slightly different from the older model. I believe there were only seal adjustments and that type of thing. But I'll check to see if there is any bottoming out after it gets to the rollable stage.

It will take at least 2 weeks to building up due to work, and she is going to build it up with no wrenching from me

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought
    Yes, factory like that. That is the new 2011 Monarch, which arrived the day before shipping. Not sure if stroke is slightly different from the older model. I believe there were only seal adjustments and that type of thing. But I'll check to see if there is any bottoming out after it gets to the rollable stage.

It will take at least 2 weeks to building up due to work, and she is going to build it up with no wrenching from me
    Yup... Good eye, Simon.

Mine came blanked. And stroke shouldn't be different on the Monarch, so you'd be better off moving it one hole down.

With a 2.25" shock (yours should be 2") and a big enough tyre, there will be contact in the second hole from top to bottom. The 2" shock is fine in that hole, so, moving to the next hole pretty much means contact.

Just check that before hitting the trail.

Check my Site

steep fast and loose :)
    would love feedback on the new 2011 monarch please , rdhfreethought

steep fast and loose :)
    btw - matchine wine to frame is utter OCD.................

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice...

Simon - as it goes neither of my last two frames (AFR and my new AC) have the top hole blanked off. I guess most here are aware of the need to do a collision test if running it up there, but does seem a bit odd they aren't shipping them blanked.

"Its All Good"
    Sick sick looking frame.... Looking forward to seeing this puppy built up, yeah ha....

Can well imagine the paint job looks far better in the flesh.....

Enjoy, enjoy, then enjoy some more...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    love that tank girl camo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Sick sick looking frame.... Looking forward to seeing this puppy built up, yeah ha....

Can well imagine the paint job looks far better in the flesh.....

Enjoy, enjoy, then enjoy some more...
    Thanks Whafe. Couldn't (and wouldn't) have done it without your help. The paint is perfect and indeed much better in person. I love that it is assymetric from one side of the frame to the others. The chainstays are painted totally unique from one another.

Funny, today I said "well, we should probably move it to the basement." As you know bike parts in the living areas are a big no-no with the SO. To which she replied "no let's leave it in the living room." So, we have a Nicolai frame on display in the living room, until its parts get sorted. Kinda cool if you ask me

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought
    Funny, today I said "well, we should probably move it to the basement." As you know bike parts in the living areas are a big no-no with the SO. To which she replied "no let's leave it in the living room." So, we have a Nicolai frame on display in the living room, until its parts get sorted. Kinda cool if you ask me
    Awesome, that alone means a KEEPER amongst the many other things.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Distributor
    Update from the Factory. Newer AC's are fitted with the 'B' shock lever ('B' machined on inside face) and all 4 holes are usable with the top hole giving 146mm travel.

As always, do a collission test to be sure before riding.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

"El Whatever"
    Update from the Factory. Newer AC's are fitted with the 'B' shock lever ('B' machined on inside face) and all 4 holes are usable with the top hole giving 146mm travel.

As always, do a collission test to be sure before riding.
    So, they actually added a lower 4th hols giving even less travel?

Or is it that the old rockers give only 130mm at the second from top hole?? Not trying to stir the pot... I love how my AC handles, but I'm curious. If that's the case, I can still pull out 140-ish travel with a 2.25" (57mm) stroke shock.
    Check my Site