mtbr member

Stripping powder coat from frame

Has anyone done this? Any tips? Any reasons I shouldn't do it?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    *Sad face*

Does anyone want to speculate on how doing this may impact on the warranty, whether the frame would need to be treated to prevent rust?

It's an Argon CC frame, if this helps in any way.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I've done this a few times. You want to completely tear the frame down, remove all bearings, etc. Use a chemical stripper. NO SANDBLASTING!!! This process can be a total PITA, esp with high-quality, well bonded powdercoat. On my last frame, I paid someone to do it. It ran me about $125 for a full suspension DH frame.

I can't think of any good reason that it would impact the warranty but you'd probably want to ask to be sure.

mtbr member
    Nicolai sells raw, i.e. non-coated, non-anodized, frames, so in principle there should not be a problem. Why don't you just call them (or send them an email)?

Drink...sleep
    I stripped my Nicolai frame of its powdercoat this summer. Like Err says, a hell of a lot of work, but the result is very nice. Used almost three cans of chemical paint stripper, the kind that you brush on.

Check out Lightening up the Helius FR for a work in progress pic and New life for the old Helius FR for the end result.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses!

Boozzz - that's pretty much what I'm wanting to do with mine. I hope my frame would look that good stripped. Did you use standard chemical paint stripper, or is there a specific type? Do you have any issues with the frame surface now it's bare?

Drink...sleep
    No issues with the frame surface at all. Give it a light polish every once in a while, and it'll stay nice and shiny. I used the cheapest paint stripper I could find, hardware store's own brand, nothing special. Since the powdercoat is so thick, you have to repeat the process a couple of times. Good luck, wear rubber gloves, and be prepared for a couple of days work

mtbr member
    Cheers for your replies, chaps - they've really helpful, particularly Boozzz's. I'll post up some pics when I'm done!

The GOAT
    Sep 2012
    I had a frame bead blasted last year and it was a fantastic finish..

mtbr member
    TheDoctor46 - Do you have pictures of the finished product? How much did it cost you? Where did you have it done?

The GOAT
    Sep 2012
    Cost me £50,00 and some good friends at RnR Powder Coating in Tanfield, Ripon did it for me i will dig out some pictures. If you want me to get it done for you just shout can send frame buy courier and i will take it through and over see its done correctly for you and take pictures

mtbr member
    I've finally finished stripping and rebuilding. I decided to have a go myself in the end. I used nitromers, a wire brush and LOTS of perseverance.

The majority of the powder coat came off pretty easily (I’d advise to put another coat of nitromers on after the first and wait for visible bubbling of the paint before attempting to get any of it off), but there were some stubborn bits that ended up taking up to 8 coats.

‘Before’ photo –

‘After’ photo –

I think it’s worked well. It's pretty bright, but I'm hoping that will fade a bit with exposure to the elements. Thanks to everyone for their advice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Good work!! What a difference.
    I wish i could do mine but it's black ano.