Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

SRAM launch 650b using Nicolai's

SRAM used Sea Otter to launch their new 650b wheelset fitted to Nicolai bikes, read here

SRAM 650B Rise 40 Wheels - First Ride - Pinkbike.com

Any one have more details of what frames they used?

Found an image:

Gallery: Video: SRAM, RockShox Back 650B Wheel Size - BikeRadar
    Last edited by loamranger; 04-20-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Damn.

I knew I should have waited a little bit with Helius AM order...

That AC looks pretty normal.

On the other hand, maybe 26" 2.4 in the rear and 27.5" 2.35 in the front could be a very balanced setup. I was going to buy a new fork anyway.

Something like 26" Fat Albert or Big Betty rear, 27.5 2.35" Nobby Nic front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SRAM launch 650b using Nicolai's-1334894614729-14k17hs8wvsp-800-75.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Simon, could you find out if this AC has stock angles or is it 650b specific?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think spécific, regarding BB height

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril_88 View Post
    I think spécific, regarding BB height
    That makes sense...

Do those bikes can clear the new Pacenti 2.4" 650B?? That one looks much larger than any other 650B out there. Like in... a real different wheel size and not a larger tyre trying to be a shorter size just to fit into small tyred frames.

This quote is kinda funny, in the sense that it doesn't say much...

" The package was new to us, but one thing quickly became very clear: the 650b wheels feel and handle more like standard 26'' wheels than 29'' wheels. While the impression is clearly going to differ from bike to bike, the new RISE 40 equipped Nicolai didn't give us the 'sitting in' feel that is associated with a well designed 29er, but rather felt very much like a standard mountain bike."

You can especulate that the frame was not thought for 650B's or that the whole 650B makes not much advantage if any. Really it doesn't say a thing.
    Check my Site

steep fast and loose :)
    If you want increased grip, drive, climb an bull doze, it simply has to be 29"...
    Seriously, unless you're not adult sized you're on the wrong wheel size....

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks View Post
    If you want increased grip, drive, climb an bull doze, it simply has to be 29"...

Seriously, unless you're not adult sized you're on the wrong wheel size....

No. There is no replacement for suspension travel, and fitting 29 wheels in a medium sized frame with a lot of travel is not the best solution. Same for XC bike with aggressive position.

650b is a good size for long travel bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    [QUOTE=Seriously, unless you're not adult sized you're on the wrong wheel size....[/QUOTE]

I guess some of us are not. Explains why my grandfather worked in the coal mines... he fit.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfueler View Post
    I guess some of us are not. Explains why my grandfather worked in the coal mines... he fit.
    Same here... I fit into small equipment manways, so I think I'd rather look elsewhere.

Seriously, though, I think the various wheel sizes have different applications and according to the size of the individual. Just like toddlers ride 12", bigger kids 16" and so on.

Why bicycles magically stopped at 26" for MTB's and 700c for road disregarding of size, I dunno.

That said... why roadies aren't going 32" or 750?? I think you can't fool those guys as easily.
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Firstly, great for Nicolai that SRAM have used a Nicolai Frame to launch this...

Is it all marketing BS... I mean if it isnt much different to 26 inch, why change....

I tend to agree with TLR... You either stay on kiddie wheels or move to adults wheels, why an intermediate step to teenage wheels.... PPPFFFFFF
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe View Post
    Is it all marketing BS... I mean if it isnt much different to 26 inch, why change....
    No it is not. It is an easily noticeable difference. Do you notice the difference in traction between, say running 2.0" tires and running 2.4" tires? Going to 650b is about that or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe View Post
    I tend to agree with TLR... You either stay on kiddie wheels or move to adults wheels, why an intermediate step to teenage wheels.... PPPFFFFFF
    Bollocks. There is a benefit to a 5% larger wheel, and you can not fit 29" into long travel without a whole lot of compromises.

Also, 29" inch wheel, equally constructed, is 10% heavier - and 40% less stiff.

650b is a very nice compromise. Good time to revise the random confluence of events that led to the choice of 559mm bsd wheels in the first place as a standard.

650B : for 29"curious riders or short arses who aren't adult enough to fit 29"..............?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    650B : for 29"curious riders or short arses who aren't adult enough to fit 29"..............?
    Or for people who ride hard enough to use 160mm of travel and appreciate stiff wheels and throwing bike around.

This whole rhetoric from 29r aficionados reeks of smug and insecurity.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I agree with Axe and I think there is a place for all three wheel sizes at this time depending on what type of riding you are doing and how tall you are, but I suspect 650b might replace 26" in the long run. The feedback from 650b users has been very positve and even a number of WC XC pros have adopted the intermediate size and won WC events with them. Next I am sure we will see Enduro event riders adopting 650b. I think it is all very positive that there are new standards for us to use. I'm not knocking 29" I just think that the three wheel sizes can co-exist.

im not sure 3 wheel sizes can co-exist tbh.

i rode 26" for 25 years and was a complete 29" sceptic.

i'm a complete convert and see little reason to reduce wheel size less than 29" for what i ride and where i ride.........

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What a creative and insightful comment. Thanks so much for sharing your obvious wisdom.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What a creative and insightful comment. Thanks so much for sharing your obvious wisdom.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have to say I find TLR and Whafe's constant propagandising of the choice they made, and then disdain for the possibility others might like to try - or even ride - something different, a little sad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I ride 29er and i beleve in 650b i think it could be better for 140 to 160mm bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril_88 View Post
    I ride 29er and i beleve in 650b i think it could be better for 140 to 160mm bikes.
    ...and the vertically challenged, such as myself

like i said, i rode 26" for 25 years, and Im now a 29" convert..........

i am however 6' tall and trail riding, not hucking or DH......

650 will suit those not tall enough for 29".

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am openminded enough that people should ride what they like and suits. I am awaiting 29er for the high speed cornering benefits and small trail chatter smoothing. I am in the 135-145mm travel bracket and don't think there are many compromises to be honest.

650b size is close to what I have been riding for a while if with a normal tyre. I have always used big 2.4-2.6 tyres, easily equivalent of a 650b 2.1 or small 2.25.

If you want to run tyres of 2.5 on a 650b then won't similar compromises to those on a longer travel 29er start to exist?

But generally, live and let live.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you do enough reading on this forum or any other "The_Lecht_Rocks" has made posts on, you'll find some of his early posts say how amazing his 26" AM was, read on alittle more and he's getting annoyed with pedal strike, now he's built a 29" bike, which unsurprisingly he loves.

Im not knocking him, spending a few thousand quid on a bike is a large investment for many. Its understandable that after doing that ones judgement may not be all that objective.

So i suggest that you don't take what people say about their bikes too seriously. As the "The_Lecht_Rocks" experiences show, at first a new bike is amazing, but then you decide its not so.

Your fitness and skill play a far bigger part in what a bike will or will not do well. Marketing's job is to make you believe otherwise.

"Its All Good"
    Axe, you have not quite as yet got my Kiwi sense of Humour. I caught fish with no hook or bait even

The length of time in which I have had a 29er, it is far from smugness or insecurity. Am very secure in my skin.... I could also say that to make a comment such as: Or for people who ride hard enough to use 160mm of travel and appreciate stiff wheels and throwing bike around...... That reeks of insecurity... My 29er wheels on the Monster Truck are more than stiff, in fact "stiffer than a honeymooners chopper"

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Or for people who ride hard enough to use 160mm of travel and appreciate stiff wheels and throwing bike around.

This whole rhetoric from 29r aficionados reeks of smug and insecurity.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"Its All Good"
    Am sorry if I have come across with "constant propagandising"..... Not the intention at all, for sure it is each to their own... However I feel that an industry tooling up for 3 different wheel sizes will pose some challenges... And also that a 26 inch wheel with a 2.4+ size tyre is pretty close to a 650B size wheel...

I for sure am the first to give someone that knocks a 29er without having even ridden one... Thats human nature, "don't knock it till you have tried it" Agree ?????

Quote Originally Posted by tantrumizer View Post
    I have to say I find TLR and Whafe's constant propagandising of the choice they made, and then disdain for the possibility others might like to try - or even ride - something different, a little sad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast