mtbr member
    Oct 2006

SRAM Hammerschmidt for ST?

Does anybody know if the new SRAM Hammerschmidt transmission is compatible with
    the ISCG mounts fitted to the 08 Helius ST?

Thanks.

"Its All Good"
    Am not 100%, but the small amount of reading I have done, states that you more or less just need to have ISCG tabs in place..... So should for sure fit the Helius ST, and the Helius FR's that have ISCG tabs in place.....

It looks to be quite good, am still trying to gain an understanding just how wide the whole setup is..... For example, is it as wide or wider than say a Dual ring setup with an E 13 bashguard?

More will be revealed I would say as time passes by...

I wonder whom will be first to have it OEM on there builds....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    whafe...here's the q-factor on it, that should give you an idea of how wide it is

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe

I wonder whom will be first to have it OEM on there builds....
    Norco already does...
    http://www.nsmb.com/page/s/2569/norc...the-big-bikes/

mtbr member
    The pinkbike stuff on the Hammerschmidt transmission is really interesting. I noticed from the movies that it sounds pretty noisy in the overdrive gear which is equivalent to the big chainring in a double and bash set up. I was thinking this would put me off as I use that ring the most...

BUT... on my double and bash bike I spend almost all my time in the big chainring because it makes the chain tighter and hence less likely to jump, not for any gearing reason since the same gearing is available in the granny ring.
    When I look at gear tables to compare available ratios the only gears that are not duplicated when in either ring are the top three - hence the only time I would be using the overdrive would be scooting back to the house on the road from the trailhead.
    I'd need to spend a little time on one to be sure but I think it's a very interesting idea.

I wonder how it will compare with the B-Box that Karl and Bionicon are playing with?

Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    I wonder how it will compare with the B-Box that Karl and Bionicon are playing with?
    that is a good question...I plan on paying them a visit at Eurobike....hopefully there is some demo one can try...I hope

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hey, I think these are interesting developments and worth considering. Just got back
    an e-mail from Falco: he says that all existing frames will NOT work with the
    Hammerschmidt and is not able to be retro fitted, for reasons he did not explain, but
    he did say it wasn't to do with the ISCG. Any ideas on what the reasons might be?

Hi Crisillo, please keep us in formed about the B-box. What do you know about it?

Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    Hey, I think these are interesting developments and worth considering. Just got back
    Hammerschmidt and is not able to be retro fitted, for reasons he did not explain, but
    he did say it wasn't to do with the ISCG. Any ideas on what the reasons might be?
    It probably has to do with the way the bike pedals in the small ring, the position of the pivots are probably designed to fight bobbing in the small ring, while providing more active suspension in the middle and big rings....with the Hammerschmidt the chainline is always in "small ring", so not all frames will ride well with it even if they have ISCG tabs....

Hi Crisillo, please keep us in formed about the B-box. What do you know about it?
    I only know what's available on their website so far...but I will report what i find out

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just got back
    he did say it wasn't to do with the ISCG.
    Well, I guess they got it going somehow in the meantime. Picture from a "testival" last weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi Testmaen, thanks for the photos. Falco;s e-mail was today, so maybe the AM is a
    special or perhaps it just works with the AM? Any views on this?

Crisillo, good point, there might be something in that.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Testmaen
    Damn that's a nice bike...

I'm thinking the "adapter" that Nicolai's have for ISCG tabs is the prohibitive reason Falco speaks of. This AM must have a different interface of some sort. I have read that proper facing of the BB and ISCG tabs ( ) is essential to proper function of Hammerschmidt...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    There's a 4 page article on the Hammerschmidt in this months MBR magazine. I'll scan it later today and post it on here if anyone is interested?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I don't know any details, just copied the pics from someone, who went to those test-days. Since Nicolai make nearly anything happen (e.g. special ISCG taps or another mounting for the Hammerschmidt) and secondly have very close ties to SRAM-Germany (check the testbike pics, mostly RS forks, Avid brakes, Truvativ parts), maybe it's a one-off testbike.

Another theory would be, that they just say it won't fit, in order to sell more of their (partially own) B-Boxx, developed in conjunction with Bionicon.

Another pic:

wyrd bi ful rd
    that is very impressive ... such a small device to replace a 2 chainring setup ...

20080819 hammerschmidt cranks MTBR FORUM.jpg

20080819 hammerschmidt 01 MTBR FORUM.jpg

20080819 hammerschmidt 02 MTBR FORUM.jpg

20080819 hammerschmidt 03 MTBR FORUM.jpg

as someone here has already mentioned ... what will be interesting will be the chainline ... i presume it will have to be around the middle chainring as that will effectively sit in line with the 5 cog of a 9 speed cassette???

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Another e-mail from Falco: he says that as far as possible that Nicolai will try to make
    frames in the future that are capable of working with Hammerschmidt. Previously, he said that frames would need to be completely redesigned in order to accept Hammerschmidt.

Chinaman, thanks for posting pics.

Yetiman, yes please.

Anybody know about the B-box?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anybody know about the B-box?
    There are some CAD images in the current Nicolai-Newsletter, including a description of the B-Boxx.

http://nicolai.dbap.de/customGates/s...newsletter.php

Also found some more details-shots of the B-Boxx equipped Helius AM:

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks, Testmaen. So, in concept the B-box is similar to the Hammerschmidt but I bet
    better made? Unfortunately we have to wait a year before it is available.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm looking forward to checking it out in person too.... Hopefuly at Interbike/Eurobike Bionicon will have a prototype available.
    Last edited by Kanga; 08-20-2008 at 03:34 PM.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA