mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Squeaky/Creaky pivots

Ok, so I thought it was my rear coil creaking/squeaking, but no it turns out its a pivot bearing/interface one of the top two that the links connect.

Anyone had this, Ive GT85'd it, cleaned it but to no avail. Can I take the links off and get to the bushes once the caps are removed or do I have to press out the bearings? Not done it before but think I might have to get the tool and have the ability, I can't put up with the noise when pedalling uphil!!

It started on the Italian SuperEnduro which was very dry and dusty.
    Any help, pictures, advice appreciated before I wade in :-)

mtbr member
    Was going to give you a shout. Got stuff here for you.

Never come across squeaky pivots even when worn. If it is the pivot it should be easy to fix. Give me a call some time and I'll talk you through it. If you need tools you can borrow mine but I don't think you'll need them at this stage.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hi,

Also check the bushings in your rear shock. I searched long to find those were making the "ugly" sound.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi All

New Nicolai owner and chuft 2 bits with it, had the same problem as pilot with creak from pivot.

anywho, tried unscrewing of the pivot through bolt but had real trouble with grub screw side not freeing up, so then went to phase 2 of operation (Bigger tools) used set of long nose pliers to grip while unscrewed others side.

So, I need to order up couple of these pivot bolts, just wonder whats the best place for this.

cheers

mtbr member
    Just got your email. I'm not ignoring you, I'm just on holiday so not always got Internet access! I'll be home this weekend and will give you a shout
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Went to phase 3, drill oot the grub screws. Gave the old girl a rub doon with some grease and now the only creaking I hear is my knees....
    P.S. dipper do u ave any grub screws.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I went on a ride yesterday and my stumpy was creaking line crazy.Today I worked on the lower bearings on the suspension. Removed the seals, cleaned with alcohol, re-packed with grease, and put the seals back on.
    No noises at all during my test ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    Ok, so I thought it was my rear coil creaking/squeaking, but no it turns out its a pivot bearing/interface one of the top two that the links connect.

Anyone had this, Ive GT85'd it, cleaned it but to no avail. Can I take the links off and get to the bushes once the caps are removed or do I have to press out the bearings? Not done it before but think I might have to get the tool and have the ability, I can't put up with the noise when pedalling uphil!!

It started on the Italian SuperEnduro which was very dry and dusty.
    Any help, pictures, advice appreciated before I wade in :-)
    How long have u had the bike and when was the last time you had all the bearings off?

I replaced all my bearings on my fr and its like a new bike. Tight taught and no squeaks
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve View Post
    How long have u had the bike and when was the last time you had all the bearings off?

I replaced all my bearings on my fr and its like a new bike. Tight taught and no squeaks
    I've had it since last Oct, never replaced the bearings, but I have solved the problem by popping off the linkage plates and greasing the bushes, ink it was just all the dust. I just do that every now and then now and it keeps it all nice and quiet.

Anyone advise on how tight to do the Allen bolt/lock screw cap? Should the cap be snug but moveable by rotating with an Allen key, obviously with no play

Think I might get the removal tool and bearings after this winter for next year.
    Aka chainline...