Team Mistermoonbikes

Shock size in Helius FR

Hello.

I am from Spain, sorry for my bad english

Now, I have a 2006 Helius FR, but I am waiting for my new 2008 Helius FR, and I am looking for a new shock, and I prefer air, because I will use this bike in maxiavalanches and megavalanches, and I prefer a low weight.

The questions...

Why the size for the coil shocks is 200 and the size for de air shocks (Rock Shox Pearl) is 223? I don't understand why two differents shock sizes with the same frame. I think that the rear travel (167 in theory) is increased with the 223 size.
    This size of 223, is the correct for all the air shocks, or is only correct for the Pearl?
    Can I put a 215 Marzocchi roco tst air in my Helius FR?

I have used a 222 dhx5 air in the Helius FR whitout problems for one year.

Thanks a lot, and again, sorry for my bad english.

Team Mistermoonbikes
    the set up of my new frame:

marzocchi 888 sl ata (put in 180mm)
    cranks shimano xtr with rotor rings and blackspire chain guide
    eggbeatter 2ti
    gravity dropper
    formula the one
    rear derailleur and shift levers sram X.0 and front derailleur and casette shimano xtr
    wheels dt ex 1750
    handlebar easton monkey dh carbon
    stem hope

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Hola garypalmer:

The '08 Helius FR takes a 200x57 coil shock or a 200x50 air shock - that's all you can use on this frame. The info on the Nicolai site is most probably outdated.

¡Suerte!

Team Mistermoonbikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith
    Hola garypalmer:

The '08 Helius FR takes a 200x57 coil shock or a 200x50 air shock - that's all you can use on this frame. The info on the Nicolai site is most probably outdated.

¡Suerte!
    OK thanks a lot.

But, 200x50 is not correct, is 200x57 or 190x50. It's a mistake?

I think that I will use a roco tst air 200x57.

Thanks again.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by garypalmer
    But, 200x50 is not correct, is 200x57 or 190x50. It's a mistake?

I think that I will use a roco tst air 200x57.
    Why is it incorrect? There are 200x50 shocks as well as 200x57.
    The '08 FR is designed for an air shock with 200x50 dimensions, so you won't get optimal performance with a 200x57 air shock.

Team Mistermoonbikes
    Why is it incorrect? There are 200x50 shocks as well as 200x57.
    The '08 FR is designed for an air shock with 200x50 dimensions, so you won't get optimal performance with a 200x57 air shock.
    Ok, thank you.

And, what is the rear travel with this shock (200x50), because I think that it will be less than 167mm.

I have a lot of troubles with the shock election.
    More than 15.000 posts in foromtb.com, from Murcia, Spain, garypalmer....

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    And, what is the rear travel with this shock (200x50), because I think that it will be less than 167mm.
    Don't worry. There are 2 holes on the swing-link (the little link that the shock is attached to). The upper hole is intended for an air shock with a shorter stroke (50 mm) while the lower hole is for a coil shock with a longer stroke (57 mm). Both options give you an equal amount or travel.

I have a lot of troubles with the shock election.
    Yes, I can perfectly understand you

Team Mistermoonbikes
    Don't worry. There are 2 holes on the swing-link (the little link that the shock is attached to). The upper hole is intended for an air shock with a shorter stroke (50 mm) while the lower hole is for a coil shock with a longer stroke (57 mm). Both options give you an equal amount or travel.

Yes, I can perfectly understand you
    Oh, thank you very much!!

Finally, I think that I will buy a roco tst coil 200x57, I think that the Helius FR will works better with the coil shock.

More than 15.000 posts in foromtb.com, from Murcia, Spain, garypalmer....

mtbr member
    gp - I am running the Roco tst r on my FR. It is a fantastic shock that really compliments the frame chracteristics. Great choice

steep fast and loose :)
    CCDB - End of thread

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll second that! Go with the CCDB.

mtbr member
    Ill throw a spanner in the works.. even though i am running a CCDB and do love it I would say that the frame is so well engineered that you need minimal low speed compression dampening.. i run mine 2 clicks from fully off.

That would mean that a shock such as a Roco WC which only has high speed comp dampening could be a goer!

If your thinking about air I have also heard very good things about the ISX6!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hola garypalmer:

¡Suerte!

hi,

I am surprise to read that.

I'm french and I ride a halius FR 07 like you. I ride actually with a DNM 200*57.

If you want to put an air shock like a PEARL, you schould use a 222mm like it's specified on the website : http://www.nicolai.net/products/size...s-fr-size.html

a little picture of my one

http://picasaweb.google.fr/bikes.of....25810577890146

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by triplex
    I'm french and I ride a halius FR 07 like you. I ride actually with a DNM 200*57.

If you want to put an air shock like a PEARL, you schould use a 222mm like it's specified on the website : http://www.nicolai.net/products/size...s-fr-size.html

a little picture of my one

http://picasaweb.google.fr/bikes.of....25810577890146
    Hi there!

The FR normally comes with a 200x57 shock as far as I know. But you can put a longer shock on this frame. For instance, even on Nicolai website the '07 Helius FR was pictured with a Pearl which is 222 mm long:

Notice the front shock mount position - it is moved forward a bit to allow a longer shock. Also I believe the shock is mounted in the second hole from top on the rocker link to allow full travel without seat tube/tire collision.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi there!

The FR normally comes with a 200x57 shock as far as I know. But you can put a longer shock on this frame. For instance, even on Nicolai website the '07 Helius FR was pictured with a Pearl which is 222 mm long:

Notice the front shock mount position - it is moved forward a bit to allow a longer shock. Also I believe the shock is mounted in the second hole from top on the rocker link to allow full travel without seat tube/tire collision.
    So I understand what you mean, On 07 models we have to move forward the hole position to keep the Geometry.

Look at this one :

I Think we must use a 222*57 because a 200*50 doesn't exist in air shock ? Am I wrong ?

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    So I understand what you mean, On 07 models we have to move forward the hole position to keep the Geometry.
    Yes, and not only on a 07 FR but on all models which have adjustable front shock mount and travel, like previous FRs, Helius ST's and so on.

I Think we must use a 222*57 because a 200*50 doesn't exist in air shock ? Am I wrong ?
    Why, I think there are 200x50 air shocks, 200x57 too.